1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Actually, Mr. G, my job is better than yours. I don't talk about half the baller shit that goes on. I'd hate to make you guys feel bad about your life choices.

Kyle, you're already in the right industry. Remember a year ago when you were stuck in a kitchen. You wanted on this side. You made it, dude. Most people don't get to transition. Especially without a degree. You did. I hear a lotta jokers saying that want in on this side. They won't make it. All you need to do now is nut up and go supply side.

Jester - fuck healing safety. Do as much blow off hookers as you physically can. Hit rock bottom. Come back story of the year. Make cover of time. Have aircraft carrier named after you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Just one more point: one thing that has always amazed me about human beings is their uncanny ability to pick out and pair up with people who meet their psychological needs. Even without explicitly communicating what those needs are. People pick up on all sorts of clues to do this. But many people's psychological needs are pathological, and satisfying them is not conducive to long-term well being. Here's what I'm getting at: it looks problematic to me that you were/are attracted to her. If you're not careful to reflect on what happened here, I think you're going to repeat this adventure over and over. (That is what people do.)

3 people like this.
  3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Why doth Corporate America loathe me so?

4. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Cliche, but nope. I really see it now, see all the signs, and more importantly, I see the signs in other girls I talk to. It'll be hard, since this limits the girls down to fucking zero, but I won't make this mistake again.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Ding, ding! You need to get on that. I however am a true believer that people never change. I think you're screwed.

6. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I agree that people don't change, but I don't think I'm screwed. It was a first time. There will be many firsts.

7. MrG

MrG Senior member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Eh. I'm not convinced this is true unless we both value the same things (which we clearly don't). You obviously love your job, and that's great. I have no desire to knock it or goad you to brag about all the great stuff that happens because of it. However, you don't really know that much about my job (or where it could lead), either, and those are a lot of the things that make my job pretty cool and great for me.

Plus, you have to keep in mind that we are at very, very different places in our lives. I'm in my 30s with a wife and kid. The best part of my day is when we all get home, and I love spending time with them more than I want to be able to party or be a part of "baller shit." The simple fact of the matter is that the lifestyle you lead, while I would probably enjoy the hell out of it, wouldn't let me be the type of husband or father I want to be, and my job accommodates that as well as any job possibly could.

So, yeah, different places, values, and priorities.

4 people like this.
  8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Anytime, jester. And I think people can change. Probably the hardest thing in the world to do, but it can be done. Never hild your breath on it.

9. in stitches

Big plus one to what G. said. However, I always read bhowie's post with a grain of salt and a little bit tongue-in-cheek. It's the Internet after all

10. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Psst, I was making a joke. However I can understand why you sound defensive. (9)

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I guess I'm just being a pussy. Whenever my greenfrog has this kinda problem I tell her that A) she's great at her job and that B) what really matters is if the job allows you to lead the kind of life you want to lead. Guess it's time to practice what I preach. And BHowie is right, I was trying to get this kind of job for 3 years do to bitch after 7 months is lol.
    Thanks for all the responses to my boo hooing. #firstworldproblems

12. MrG

MrG Senior member

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but I felt like it might be worth saying, anyway, given the context of a lot of these posts. Sort of another exercise in "different people want different things out of their lives."

I actually didn't mean to sound defensive, though. Quite the opposite, I was trying to show that I don't think one way is better, just different. Apologies if I came off as defensive.

1 person likes this.
  13. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I'm in McDonald's waiting for my boss. He is like 45 minutes late. I guess Steve Harvey has a morning show on ABC. He is currently making a sandwich this segment has taken longer to show than to make an actual segment. Fuck....

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

:bigstar:

edit - G, it was good you said what you did. was very much worth saying.

no you arent. thinking that shit is normal. everyone does it. all that matters is that you make sure to be honest about it with yourself. if you really truly felt that a change was in order, you would make it.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

I don't think you're being a pussy. Reflecting on your life is perfectly health as long as you don't go overboard and let it consume you.

Anyway, the bolded, as you clearly understand, is the key. We're not here long, and a lot of the time we spend here sucks. Might as well do the best you can to mitigate that.

1 person likes this.
  16. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I think about that a lot too, kwilk. I have friends who seem to work very flexible jobs (telecommute, buddy relationships with coworkers/bosses, etc.) or work for themselves and lately I've been wondering whether I'm doing the wrong thing. I'm in a very rigid, old school bureaucratic gig. Everything is by the book and half my time is spent ensuring things are done the "proper" way. It's pretty demoralizing actually.

I guess the bright side is I've decided i do not want to do this forever, and that sticking it out for a few years here will provide me with some critical knowledge that I can take to a nonprofit, lobbying firm, consultancy, or whatever.

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

beer is living proof god loves us and wants us to be happy.

look, quick, I sell things. I enjoy what I do, I provide jobs for a lot of people, but mostly I get enjoyment from my mastery of the game and the rewards it brings me. I have a very nice life style. you don't need to be mother fucking teressa.

aside from that, beer is a good thing (it goes without saying that you're not selling like, coors, or something, right?)

18. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Already hooked up twice over the weekend. Well on my way.

But that's a high goal, brother.

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I agree with the second statement, but that doesn't preclude his being a pussy for other reasons.

I agree that people can change, or at least learn to be aware of and mitigate whatever tendencies are hard-wired into them (and I generally agree with L'inc's observations in this respect).
    And Bhowie's advice is pretty spot-on. Whether your thing is doing blow off hookers literally or only figuratively, that's the place to put your energy. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by texting the girl or in any way trying to have an impact on or get a reaction from her. Be done with it.
    Also, not to sound cynical, but try to let go of the "unconditional love" meme. It's destructive, especially if you have the sort of enabler/appeaser tendencies you seem to have (I have them myself, to a certain extent). I have the utmost respect for people who forge relationships built around a commitment that is unconditional, or nearly so. But that's a mutual process. The one-sided version isn't the same thing at all - it's just manipulative victimhood.
    Moreover, by sending her a spiteful text referencing your "unconditional love", you're demonstrating that the "love" isn't "unconditional" at all. It actually came packaged with all sorts of exectations and fine print. It's just a way of creating a sense of entitlement that ultimately isn't good for you or fair to the other party. I failed at marriage and have had other relationships with varying degrees of "success", so take my observations for what they're worth. But I'm pretty sure the kind of lifelong, deep commitment you're ultimately looking for is more likely to take root in the context of a relationship that includes healthy boundaries and compromise than one in where one person's "unconditional love" is so powerful that it transforms the other person into somebody they never were before.

4 people like this.
  20. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I thought you were serious about applying to med school, like "took the MCAT" serious?

Why would you bother drinking excessively on your probation? Learn to control yourself.