1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

I know this thread is for venting, but there is so much to say. None of which you will listen to,

2. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I might. I've learned more than I ever thought I would.

The only other post you've quoted me on - I have to be honest, I found it annoying. But I would love to hear as many opinions as possible. From lawyerdad to Stitchy to you. I need to learn shit, here.

3. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

I sent her a text. Or two.

"Nothing, huh? Man.. I have so much to say. I will make sure the next girl I love unconditionally isn't like this. Thank you for the lesson." And, "Would have given you anything. But I'm not a dirt bag so I couldn't meet your needs."

4. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

I was once in the audience when a shop-assistant said something about not being proud of the work he does to a legendary retailer (A&F, Victoria Secret and currently more iGent approved brands). His response ran something like this:

You may not see much to be proud of in retail, we simply buy stuff cheap and sell it to people expensively enough to make a profit. You spend hours on your feet and never once save a life. But. For thousands of years men have picked up bolts of cloth and taken then to the important men of the day; be they in the senate of Rome or courts of the Pharoes. Merchants have had a place since the very dawn of time, they have been responsible for merging cultures and exposing the populace to new discoveries. The role of the tailor is so crucial to the workings of society that we even have a fairy-tale about how a merchant influenced an emperor. We [the merchants and tailors] have held the ear of kings and demi-gods throughout history. You can make a shy man walk tall and give confidence to even the most downtrodden.

Just because what you do does not actively help individuals, it is not to say that you don't contribute to the value of society as a whole.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

3 all days???

Did you kill a hamster???

6. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Bummer. DUI?

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

8. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

You're getting used. It would have also never worked out to begin with and more importantly why would you wanted it to? This is a woman with a swirling vortex of bullshit. Why would you want someone who doesn't respect themselves enough to date dudes like that? People who date those kinds of people need either 2 things 1) to be shat on constantly like her ex's did 2) an unquestioning source of support that will eventually never be enough. You were number 2 and that's why it was on borrowed time. Guys like her ex are fantastic at controlling their GF's. Even if you were her friend he would have eventually made her cut you out, and she would have.

The fact that you saw none of this coming is silly.

You have entirely too many female friends.

You are pure beta.

1 person likes this.
  9. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Sorry man. What field are you in, if I may ask?

Don't give up. 3 months is, unfortunately, not that long anymore. I realize this is little solace...I felt pretty bummed during my last stint of unemployment, which was about 3 months as well. But try to remain positive.

10. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

3 hots and a cot, brah. Sounds pretty great.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  11. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Well said I guess.

12. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

I had a little to drink. I evidently "disturbed the peace."

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Your lawyer couldn't get that down to probation?

14. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

That was the delayed sentence for my probation. I messed up my probation so I getting sentence for it.

15. indeyxzq

indeyxzq New Member

that right.The fact that what pisses people off the most has to do with fucking television!thanks
    [​IMG]

16. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Cody's life is a mess, and she's clearly got some big, big psychological issues to work through. She married a guy who was also a mess, and who left her and brought back a kid. And before that she dated a coke addict who beat her. There are lots of people like Cody in the world. You can pick them out fairly easily because their life stories sound like the Jerry Springer show. The appropriate course of action with regard to those people is very easy to describe: don't date them or try to marry them or give them children. Unless you enjoy being part of the swirling vortex of bullshit.

8 people like this.
  17. MrG

MrG Senior member

To indesertum - I know it might not make you feel any better, but there's not necessarily anything you're doing wrong. The market is brutal. When I decided I needed a job change, it took me over a year to find something. I had multiple interviews and applied to more jobs than I can begin to count during that period, but it still took forever. Hell, even with the job I did get, it took a couple of months to go from applying to an offer, and that was considered pretty fast.

It certainly won't hurt to reassess your approach, but keep in mind that that might not be the problem.

I don't know if it will make you feel any better, but I have these same types of existential crises very frequently. As others have said, the grass is always greener on the other side. I like my job, and I like where it could lead me even more. However, it's also very easy to lose sight of why, exactly, I chose this path, and I end up wondering if I would be better off going into something that has more personal benefit and less (potential) social benefit. In addition, Hunstman is very right in his assertion that, even in jobs where you feel like you can do some social good, sometimes you lose the ability to do the good you want to do because of onerous external factors.

I think the question is really what you want out of your career. There's nothing wrong with just having a job that pays the bills, or that you enjoy (hopefully both), and, all kidding aside, someone has to sell beer, which is something that brings enjoyment to a lot of people.

For me, I need to feel like I'm contributing in a certain way, and that trumps my itch to look at some other options. Most days, my job is just a job, but I really enjoy the times when I can see the influence of my work on outcomes. However, that doesn't make the "do some good at work" approach the right path for everyone. Plus, if you really do feel like you're not contributing to some greater good at work, there are always things you can do to "give back." Honestly, in my opinion, the single best thing a person can do to help society is to volunteer to help someone who really needs it, and you can see a direct impact on the people you're helping.

There are lots of times I see you and Bhowie talk about your jobs, and I think, "that's pretty cool." I could definitely see how your jobs are a blast, and I could really enjoy them. However, for me, I need something different at the end of the day. That doesn't mean one job is "better;" it just means we have different paths.

So, long story short, just decide whether you need your job to be the thing that makes you feel like you're giving back to society and then reflect on whether or not your job gives back in a way that's meaningful to you. If not, and you still feel like you want to do something charitable without changing jobs, there are always opportunities to do good things on your personal time.

18. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I'm glad you were able to make sense of that.

You're doing the math wrong.

19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

MrG - glad the PS3 is back up, but get a roku anyways. they are relatively inexpensive and they are awesome. imo.

kwilkinson - i question what i do all the time. for many reasons. especially after thinking what other people do. but then i think about what exactly it is these other people do, like the actual day to day stuff, what impact it may have on QoL, things like that. and i almost always come to the conclusion, that i an very much glad for what i do. even though other jobs may sound more sexy-lucrative-noble..... each person needs to do whats right by them. if you are happy with what you are doing, if your QoL is satisfactory, and if you can make a living doing it, rock on, son.

Pieceofsand - BE SAFE!

mrjester -i think B made some solid points. you dont need her. take some time to heal (in a safe and reasonable way) and move on. it will take time, but you will be ok, and you will find someone much better, too.

1 person likes this.
  20. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Thanks. I actually had never had a serious relationship and this was my first thought. Now that I look back, it's extremely clear. Bhowie said,

Quote: I think he got it almost right. But it was mainly one. Her best friend is a piece of shit, her ex's are, etc. I never really put it together. I guess I had her on a pedestal. Damn. Such wasted time.

Just saw yours, Stitch. Thanks brother.

1 person likes this.