1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yep, you and everybody else in the f'ing 5 boroughs flew up from their beds.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/07/ambert-alert-phone-4-am-new-york.html

it's mostly for drivers, and when when the whole program started a number of years ago, you'd hear radio warnings and highway electronic signs indicating the vehicle in question and license plate number. now most phones have these alerts built in (unless you're like me and turn it off).

why somebody thought it was a good idea to do at 4 AM in a city where the majority of residents don't have cars and will not be driving to work is beyond me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

There's a disgusting new commercial development by my parents' house.

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

trying to write a blog post for work and the damn image uploaded isnt working. :fu:

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I am not OCD or anything like that, but there are some things I worry about to an irrational degree, such as fires. Today I got all the way down the stairs in my building when I decided I should go back up to my condo to make sure I turned off all the lights. (On account of the lights might start a fire if they are on.) It turns out I had turned the lights off. This happens fairly frequently, and is annoying.

5. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Just moved from my girlfriends place to a 663sqft 1br1ba place. I call it the Lonelyman Floorplan.

Figured I'll do this for a year, save money, get a new car, then maybe move. But fuck, this sucks.

::bitch and moan::

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You should find someplace to practice that online stuff.

1 person likes this.
  7. in stitches

great idea. any recs?

8. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I like living alone personally. Maybe I'll end up with roommates again (really can be a lot cheaper) but I am neurotic enough that it is difficult to live with others.

Was your GF's apt a lot bigger?

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I hear all the cool kids hang out at the fedora lounge.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

This little guy wearing a Top hat on Fedora Lounge is one of my personal hero...

He is also quite a wise guy I have been told..

11. in stitches

do they talk about yarmulkes there?

12. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

She had a townhouse, north of 2,000sqft. She was house broke, but it was a nice place in a ghetto neighborhood. Ghetto enough I wouldn't let her walk the dogs at night.

Not sure if I'll like living alone. I really liked the last situation. I hate roommates, but liked the girlfriend situation.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Any of you baltimoreites know where somebody could buy a used bike from a shop/market (not craigslist)? Preferably somewhere that actually has bikes available to sell.

14. js4design

js4design Senior member

Wife and I have a place smaller than that, and it can be really good for prioritizing what you need and what you don't. Being in a place by yourself is going to suck right now, especially if the break-up wasn't your idea. But go out, enjoy yourself (maybe with friends you may have neglected during the relationship), go to the gym (if that is what you have neglected during the relationship), make yourself available for new events and opportunities, watch Swingers before you make any embarrassing phone calls, and just give it time.

1 person likes this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

L'Inc, I've noticed that your posting seems to have adopted a new idiom (that is something that was not there before). To what do you attribute this change (that is what caused it)?

16. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Not too bad. Thanks, man. Wasn't my idea. She dumped me because she says I'm not ready for kids and marriage. I'm not, but I explained I could work on getting ready. She wouldn't even try it. I said, "So you're going to dump me and find some guy within two years to have a kid and get married? You don't think waiting a year for me is quicker and safer?" She didn't respond. I'm pretty torn up but, life goes on. She was the first girlfriend I had that I didn't want to slap every time she opened her mouth. That's something special.

17. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

That kind of woman exists? :wow:

Best of luck in moving on.

18. in stitches

i think its technically baltimoreans, or baltomorons, either way, i know of only one place, see link below. never been, but heard great things about them. they defo have things available to buy in various price points, styles and quality levels.

http://www.joesbikeshop.com/

you in town?

19. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Apparently so. Bitch.

Thanks.

20. otc

otc Senior member

Thanks.

Nah, just trying to advise someone who just moved there on how to buy a bike. People always assume that because I dabble in bicycle racing and ride a lot of bikes, I can tell them whats the best crappy hybrid they can buy at some overpriced shop.

I don't know anything about those bikes. I haven't bought a bike from a retail bike shop...ever!!! Everything I have was either acquired used, built up from parts by myself, or a custom order from a tiny shop that doesn't even carry an inventory.

My usual advice is "don't buy that" followed by some explanation on what to look for in a used bike (various marks of quality that can distinguish something good or identify something as not worth it). In chicago, I send them to a coop that usually has helpful volunteers and a good array of used bikes (priced a little high, but they warranty them for a bit and will have replaced anything that was broken or worn out). But when they aren't willing to make a list of potential craigslist bikes for me to ya/nay and still want my help....wtf do they expect?

1 person likes this.