1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Well-Known Member

I do that all the time. I guess I just believe in taking the initiative and not waiting idly for good things to happen to me (other cars getting through the intersection). That attitude explains my success in business.

2 people like this.
  2. L'Incandescent

I've come to realize lately that I carry around a lot more tension than I should. Today I was making stuffing (the food, I mean), and as I was about to eat it, I got panicky and thought "oh shit, I didn't stir it enough I bet." Who the hell thinks that as they're about to eat stuffing?

I used to think everyone was like that, but I'm learning that that's not the case.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

I think you may have posted about this before, but bonsai is kind of a tough hobby for someone who travels as much as you seem to, no?

4. Fang66

Fang66 Well-Known Member

I think that the more you learn that people are less like you and more like themselves the better off you will be.

2 people like this.
  5. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

How much do you travel, Ed? I had a job that was strictly travel (6 days a week, I was quite literally homeless since I was able to travel from one city to another on company dime) and keeping a nice wardrobe, or hobby, was pretty hard. I went to the cheap stuff.

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. edinatlanta

It depends but it works out to about 1/4 of the year traveling. I got a new passport 26 months ago, got the extended pages and its already 1/3 full, must be closer to half now if that helps.

8. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home

Ha. Good memory. That was me. The last one made me miss a big trip with some colleagues.

Right there with you, Piob. I've been in a similar funk for a good while now. I'm starting to finally shake it, though, so that's good.

1 person likes this.
  9. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

good luck shacking the funk, gentlemen.

its interesting, I spent a lot of time thinking about this stuff as a teenager, set myself on course and I have to say that I haven't really thought about it that much, since. I had a rough patch when I walked away from the military life in my early twenties and took a path towards business, but even that was a matter of thinking about a course adjustment. I can't say I've had a real existential issue aside from that.

10. mrjester

Wow. That's pretty cool. I would think 1/4 travel is cool. But 1/1 was not. I got burnt out, got sick, told them I'd quit if I didn't get a telecommute.

Then I got a promotion.

Then I left.

11. edinatlanta

It isn't.

As I tell people I go to these neat cities, go to a hotel for three-four days, never leave, get on a plane and come home.

When you never leave a hotel you could be in Erie or Paris, it makes no difference.

The locations are difficult to get to and require extra stops because we use United, not Delta primarily.

Bleh.

12. mrjester

True. Everyone was always talking about how cool it was that I got to go to places. It was US travel, and I got to go to all the major cities in FA, CA, NY and MA, but it doesn't make a difference when you don't want to leave. Sight seeing gets boring after a while, no matter where you're at. Especially when there's work to be done.

I just learned.. I hate NY. Although the building I was working on was right next to the freedom tower. Close enough, the building had structural damage from 9/11. I got to hear some crazy stories.

Boston is full of assholes, and great beer.

California is California

Florida is like California but humid.

13. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Mrs. A. still doesn't get that business travel flat out sucks, and she always wants to tag along when I have a trip somewhere cool. I fucking hate trying to coordinate my work schedule around her vacation schedule on these trips. Still, our LA trip worked out well last week, mostly because I took a couple of days of vacation after my meetings. Luckily most of my trips are to insanely boring places that she has no desire to visit.

14. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

Our vacuum cleaner died, and now I have to buy a new one. I am sifting through Consumer Reports reviews of fucking vacuum cleaners. Ugh.

15. mrjester

Yeah I always had friends trying to meet me. It sucked coordinating all of it. If I had free time, I either slept or did my own thing around town. Only time I was active was playing volleyball in Cali.

I once flew from CA to NY to GA to AZ, drove to Mexico for a tournament, then back to AZ, then flew back to GA for two weeks. That's when I got sick. Apparently stress does shit to you.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I'm jealous. I lost my angst in my early 30s but it seems to have been rearing its ugly head in the last couple of years from time to time.

17. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I just bought a hard wood floor specific vacuum (for pets).

things that piss me off right now:

- dry cleaning is actually more expensive here in CT than in brooklyn.
    - cleaning ladies are actually more expensive here in CT than in brooklyn.
    - diesel gas is a LOT more expensive here in CT than in brooklyn.
    - getting my dog neutered in CT will cost almost TWICE compared to his vet in brooklyn.

WTF i thought moving out to semi-suburbia would mean shit like dry cleaning/gas/cleaning ladies/and Veterinarians would be cheaper.

18. L'Incandescent

I finished up my tenure dossier yesterday, which I'm happy about. But now that I've got that weight off my shoulders, I am relaxed like a rag doll and don't feel like performing my tasks. Unfortunately, I don't really have the option of not performing my tasks today.

19. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Well congrats irregardless!

1 person likes this.
  20. Biscotti

Biscotti Well-Known Member

I have to take Humanities 100 this fall to graduate...WTF