1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I'm going from an office which has huge ceilings (40 feet?), ornate stonework, mahogany doors, and windows throughout to a dingy office with one window facing a "courtyard," which is really just a concrete slab with a maintenance shed.

2. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I feel like blackberry's shtick is that the innovated once, but were never allowed to do it again.

creating "the blackberry" brought them into the fold. Business users had to have them. Sure there were palm pilots and various smartphone type things before, but they weren't designed with the goal of keeping you connected to your email 24/7 (couldn't even do it on the most popular palm pilots).

So they create a new thing and get all of these business users to try it. But then they get stuck and can't really innovate again. Since they are no longer taking customers from nothing to something, but rather going from something to something 2.0, they get a bunch of ornery business users who can't take time to learn the new stuff and thus shoot down any attempts at innovation.
    This goes on forever basically. They can't innovate because the corporate IT departments have to answer to their 50 year old boss who already spent 3 years learning how to use his first blackberry.

Others are then free to come in and do the real innovation. At the beginning, apple and android were laughed at as business phone platforms, but they gained acceptance of savvy users, and then unsavvy users, and reached the point where the 50 year old boss was now asking the corporate IT department why he couldn't use the iphone his kids bought him, because it was so much better than his blackberry.

Apple's not beholden to the business customer (and never has been), which leaves them open to try new stuff. They can toss off google maps and make their own inferior product the default and people might get mad, but nobody does anything because its still better than using a blackberry. You could probably tell a similar story about how apple succeeded with OSX and switched CPU architectures several times...if they were selling to business customers, breaking backwards compatibility would halt sales. There are still businesses using IE6 for their shitty internal websites--Steve would have told them to fuck off and buy some new software by now.

1 person likes this.
  3. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

^ Pretty much that.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Well-Known Member

I miss my Palm Treo (i had the 650 and 680 and even the fucking *palm Tungsten W). The phones were incredibly easy to use OS and application wise. It was also a very apple friendly OS/phone back in the early 2000's.

doing stuff like powerpoint/keynote medical presentations using the Treo as a remote control and also seeing my slides on the phone (so I could look like a boss and walk around the audience like i was riffing extemporaneously during a presentation was easy (all they way back in 2003).

*The palm tungsten W was a fucking bitch to use as a phone (because it didn't even have a fucking speaker and receiver you had to use a headset).

the thing was there was a plethora of medical apps (all the major medical references and medical calculators). also with the advent of serial number generators everything was basically free.

There was even a whole sub OS (that was created independently (which had even more medical references, games, apps). it was basically what the iphone is before the iphone. that independent OS was really steep learning curve but once you figured it out there was so much cool stuff on it.

and then by 2007 when the iphone arrived Palm treo phones basically died on the spot. sure there was some newer stuff, but as a whole palm just bit the dust and died a sad death. just like that.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  5. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

I had the 700 and threw it out my car window.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Find out this morning that some staff members of the Senate Appropriations committee want to come on a field trip and visit our little establishment. Today. Of course we can't talk to them in a conference room, it's gotta be a lab space (show 'em where the money is going!). This means we need to shut everything down and render the lab safe for visitors. Fine. I've been working on some stuff that was relevant to the topics at hand, so I have to rush around and get the data looking pretty for director's presentation. Takes an hour or so. It ends up being one figure on one slide, which he talks about for roughly one minute total.

I'm told they like doing this in the summer when Congress is on recess.

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

haha.. though we are in the same field... maybe it will track you down one of these days!

8. zarathustra

zarathustra Well-Known Member

I don't think that it was that they were not allowed to innovate... I think management had no clue which way it wanted the platform to go and no one thought through things. As such BB "innovations" were already two years old by the time they came to market. For instance, the QNX acquisition. BB horribly misjudged their time to market with the new OS. The playbook was a disaster --- no native email functionality on a BB? WTF? In the meantime, BB stopped all work on their current platform. As such, the 7.x and other future platforms withered on the vine for what seems like years with no new phones, apps, or features.

IMO It got to a point where having a blackberry was a liability from an appearance standpoint whn everyone went into a meeting and threw down. This allowed Iphones and Androids to gain traction particularly with the core BB users, such as the 50 year old boss, who needed to impress. It wasn't that the phone was more productive for most people, it was that it was cooler and looked better. Despite having the Iphone for three years 50 year old boss still cannot type worth shit on the Iphone, hence his footer asking people to excuse his grammar and spelling.

So yes, while the Iphone may have innovated in the consumer market, there has been no real innovation on the business side to increase productivity in the mobile phone segment.

9. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Also, when rimm bothers to innovate, dumb fucks like my procurement department (who are their core market btw) only want to buy the old obsolete model for pennies on the dollar, anyway

10. yjeezle

yjeezle Well-Known Member

i believe there are talks of selling the business itself.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323585604579008393028023358.html?mod=dist_smartbrief

the problem is... you can create a new brand for yourself that's more "consumer" friendly so you have a business line and consumer line

If I were blackberry, I would've kept their core, which I believe was their encrypted e-mail & e-mail enterprise solutions, and tried to hold hands with Google when android became available on the market (ala amazon kindle fire)

... and whew i dodged a bullet just now... accidentally clicked "the great backdoors" instead of this link.

Thank you slow work internet!

11. Connemara

I just realized that my office move means a new phone number. My fresh biz cards are now obsolete. :fu:

12. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

your fresh biz cards are now perfect for one night stands you don't wish to see again

13. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

jesus fucking christ, when did my work become a pithole of despair?

14. Bhowie

Bhowie Well-Known Member

^ when they put you in charge? :confused:

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

OW.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

40' is impressive, I think the EEOB is 20.

18. Connemara

40' is a guess...now that I think about it, t's probably more like 30'. Either way you'd need scaffolding or a cherry picker to get to the top.

The Assembly chamber has a 60' ceiling. What you see now is a drop ceiling, the original was vaulted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Is there a single good thing about America that people are content to keep?

1 person likes this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.