1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. tayoolog

tayoolog Member

My student card has an expiry date on it, for when I finished my degree.

That's how the buggers catch me out every time I try to use it.

It's a cruel world

2. tayoolog

tayoolog Member

Hmm, it is a matter of opinion, but in my situation the first thought to come to my head wouldn't be to chop up my only bank card. Kind of reckless, no?

More of a last resort if self control flees from me.

3. zarathustra

zarathustra Senior member

Don't carry it on you and definitely don't go to strip clubs with it.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

With 2k in overdraft that horse has obviously already left the barn.

5. js4design

js4design Senior member

I was under the impression that he now has a 2k limit on overdraft protection instead of previously no overdraft protection, not that he has incurred 2k in overdrafts already. I could be wrong though.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Good catch; that is indeed what he seems to be saying.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

While cutting up every last card is probably excessively drastic, getting rid of all but one, and then leaving that one at home to be used only in the case of emergency is an extremely smart move.

8. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Or no stupid tricks and just be responsible? Buy what you need, don't buy what you don't need.

A wise man once said, "you have your whole life to buy stupid shit!"

1 person likes this.
  9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I will truly never, ever understand people who cannot handle a CC.

Seriously. Is the concept of "DON'T SPEND ANY MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE" that difficult to grasp?

Get that CC. Use it wisely. Build credit.

Don't buy shit you don't need and go into debt.

Is that so hard?

I use my CCs for EVERYTHING. Rarely ever carry cash. And then I get some cash back, but the point is you can EASILY get CCs to work for you if you're responsible. Yes.. CCs can make you money as opposed to the opposite!!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

getting rid of cards (by officially canceling them) can actually lower your credit score. its one of those things that people should be more angry about.

1 person likes this.
  11. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

I actually find a spend less with CCs as I hate paying a huge bill when due.

12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^its obvious, but analogous to why people are overweight and out of shape.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

True. I forgot we live in America for a second there -- land of the indebted, overstrung, and overweight.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Not everyone is raised to be financially conservative. I know I sure was not and I ran up some debt in my late teens/early 20s. It was a lesson well learned but apparently a lesson that seems to elude a huge number of people. Someone I know quite well, that makes a pretty healthy six figure salary, told me recently he had to have a garage sale to partially fund the vacation he just took as all his CCs are maxed and he's living paycheque to paycheque with no savings. He is also a pretty meh dresser, drives a 10 year old tiny Suzuki SUV, lives in an unimpressive house, and has not even started a 401(k) even though he's 56.

15. gort

gort Senior member

3 people like this.
  16. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

i have some friends from Australia visiting this weekend. the thing I noticed about them is that live in a nice area where things like clothes and material items are very expensive (Sydney) is that they really appreciate what they have and as a result will only really buy what they need but won't bat an eyelash to spend money if it really is a quality item.

so they do have nice things (clothes, car, apt) but a lot less clutter/waste.

of course they are making their annual trip to NYC to do some major clothes/electronics:p shopping. i guess its cheaper to book a ticket to HK/NYC/Ect and stay in a hotel and buy stuff.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I guess I do have more sympathy for people who run up debt when they're younger and none-the-wiser, but people like the person you know?

Instant disrespect. Sorry, it's judgmental, but if you don't have your finances figured out at that age with that healthy of a salary, you're an idiot.

And you'd be right -- partially.

I fucked up some basic calculations when I was figuring out the most amount of cash I could invest in stocks at a specific point in time and I ended up being short a couple in liquid cash to pay my rent.

But no worries! I have margin trading privileges and borrowed against my stock portfolio to cover my rent for 70 cents in interest while earning some hefty returns on my stocks!

LEVER UP BABY!

:slayer:

I have since recognized the tomfoolery of having so little cash and have thus built up a nice cash (liquid) cushion.

And this was an exercise in making my money work FOR me. Not against me, like all the other idiots with their CCs that we're talking about.

18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Don't forget that a lot of young people need to carry credit card debt to get by. Student debt is for real.

19. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

All basic life skills look easy from a sufficiently detached point of view. E.g., it's easy, just date people you're compatible with. Just eat appropriate portions of food and get regular exercise. Just clean your home on a regular schedule. Just treat people as you would like to be treated. But for all sorts of reasons, some of them very difficult to tease out in individual cases, lots of people have real difficulty doing these things. I know I have struggled with some apparently very basic life skills, and I am not lazy or an idiot.

My point is that it's best not to beat yourself up for struggling with these things. Acknowledge the weakness, try to figure out what's at the root of it, and take measures to correct it. And until you've got a handle on the problem, maybe take provisional measures like leaving the credit card at home, etc.

4 people like this.
  20. MrG

MrG Senior member

No, no they don't. This is called "living beyond one's means."

Also, even if there is some circumstance that justifies such an arrangement, this is a stupid way to go about it, given there are all sorts of ways to reduce/suspend student loan payments.

1 person likes this.