1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

nm

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. MrG

MrG Senior member

No question Conne got a jobbed, at least to those of us who tend to do our own work, but, in his defense, I hate working on drum brakes. I wouldn't overpay someone to do it, but I'd definitely be willing to cough up some cash to avoid doing it myself (and I don't say that often).

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I don't know fuck-all about car repair. I got this done at the dealership. Looked up the parts online and realized I overpayed, but I would not have been able to do the job myself.

4. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Conne if it makes you feel better new drums are kinda 'spensive

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Last time I had brakes done was the front end of my Rover and it cost me 1.2k about 4-5 years ago. Don't worry about it.

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

I've got a decent mechanic who doesn't charge outrageous fees, but I don't mind paying even if it's a lot more expensive than doing it at home. I know I could learn how to do it, but it's a big time investment to learn and then more to do the work. Plus I'd have to buy more tools and store them somewhere, etc. Worth my money to just pay some other dude to do it, as long as I can afford it. Time is worth money, especially when you have a decent income.

Also if you don't have a garage/flat driveway, it's nine kinds of hell trying to work on a car.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

fucking construction delays... now we're looking at moving in november (it was supposed to be done by august to september)... there's a good chance we won't be able to spend christmas in our new house. oh how I envy you lawrence for moving in.

that, and eating quinoa for lunch for 2 straight days is pissing me off.

8. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

that sucks. what caused the delays?

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

plenty of reasons... but mainly there are stuff that we have to decide on that the wife is taking a long time to do so- can't blame her though. and so work kinda slows down until we finalize some of these decisions. building a house here ain't as quick as it is there. we kinda know that it's gonna take longer than expected but it is kind of frustrating.

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Nope. It isn't just the glass, the whole thing has to be re-done. And judging from the parts # and online research, the parts are basically at-cost. Labor is cheap too. The mirror housing is like $400.

I called a couple other places to get an idea how much it cost they all said "depending... anywhere from a few hundred to $1000".

Also, it isn't my car (I was driving it) and I leave the country in a few hours so no real time to get a few estimates that would save maybe $100.

My old roommate who had sort of moved out (long story) finally moved out last week. Even though I knew most of the stuff in our house was hers, I can't believe how much crap she had (and still has). She halfway filled our driveway with free shit and still moved a TON... to New York City.

Also, last year on my 20+-year old volvo I had to have new brakes and pads which cost me a bit under $500.

11. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I'm presently sleeping with the dogs on a futon couch in the living room because its the only room with an air conditioner installed and semi cleared out. all the other rooms with beds have clothes stacked on top of them along with huge garment boxes spread out in their respective rooms. :fu:

I did buy three other small air conditioners but they're still in their boxes for the guest rooms.

whomever invented those wardrobe/garment boxes is both a genius and a motherfucker. You can pack a TON of shit in them and stack them (with the metal bar on the top you can stack 80lbs without them crushing), but they're really tall so you can't reach down into them do get stuff out easily. Its so cumbersome after taking out clothes you have to tip over the box to get the rest of your shit out.

I was tempted to go to home depot and hire some day laborers to clear out the unpacked garment boxes but Norwalk has a pretty cool (seriously its very organized and neat) dump site/recycling plant 5 min away from the house. You need to have a special local resident parks sticker (luckily I got one last week its for all the huge public parks here and the recycling plant) on your car to go in. Luckily I could fit about 10 flattened garment boxes into the station wagon so I recycled them myself.

I'm already missing NYC... I could've just flattened those boxes and left them in the street for recycling.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

The dealership no less, of course you got hosed. Did they at least offer to sell you some coke?

Bananas are cheap, sir.

As long as you have the right tools drum brakes are a cinch. Probably not more than $50 worth of specialty tools.

And these are his brakes we're talking about. If those fail he could be dead. Having worked at several dealerships I know how coked out or methed up those guys can get and would not trust them to do the work. If you find a local mechanic you can trust, that's fine. But you should never trust that a dealership's work is competent.

13. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Drum brakes are pretty easy, but there is a lot to fuck up if you don't have an intuitive mechanical ability. Worth it to find a local guy you trust.

14. in stitches

i hear ya. i hope that goes as smoothly as possible.

new custom title: "Sleeps with Dogs"

15. js4design

js4design Senior member

16. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

How dare you speak ill of Kroger. I would have starved in college if it weren't for their buckets of popcorn chicken.

17. MrG

MrG Senior member

What you guys should really be pissed about is the fact that you have to shop at any of those places in the first place. Publix FTW!

18. MrG

MrG Senior member

I can't believe how much you people pay for brake work.

It depends upon the work. There are some things where I'd pay a substantial premium to have someone else do it, but I don't view a lot of car work as a chore. It's more of a hobby.

Also, I will admit that the calculus changes when you're talking about a DD, rather than a project car.

Are you looking at OEM or aftermarket?

Yeah, it gets really bad when you have more room than you need, which was the case in our house. We just didn't have enough stuff to properly use the square footage, so we wound up basically using it as storage for things we really didn't need.

Was that for all four wheels? Did it replace the drums/rotors?

The best setup I've ever had was having a local mechanic I trusted who would work alongside me on big projects. I got all of the savings of doing it myself, but I had excellent help if I needed it.

Also, I have to admit that it has been a long, long time since I did any drum brake work, so it might not be as bad as I remember. Still, the reason I've avoided it was because I hated it so very much when I did it.

1 person likes this.
  19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

i had never been to publix before last week in nashville. that pic of me having the car trunk picnic was in a publix parking lot. it was quite nice, but the kosher section was a little bit weak.