1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. MrG

MrG Senior member

That sucks, Douglas, and I mean that sincerely, but I have to admit that the most disturbing part of that story was the revelation that you have a trampoline in your backyard.

2 people like this.
  2. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I have a 4-year-old who absolutely adores it and jumps on it nearly every day. I will weather every bit of internet scorn you care to heap upon me, because her desires (and the fact that it wears her ass out) trump those of strangers on the internet, all day long.

:)

1 person likes this.
  3. MrG

MrG Senior member

:laugh:

That's the most effective use of the "I'm just tryin' to be a good dad" card I've seen in quite some time.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

This reminds me of a friend of mine who showed up at my house with his very young girlfriend and her sister. Cute girls. Not invited but it was fine, and I had some beer and some not exactly legal plant matter of which we all partook. As they were leaving I found out that the younger sister was 15. :fu:

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

You're a pussy Douglas. A real man would have said "Anyways, these fuckers are on my list".

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

LOL, I figured that was probably coming.

Sucks about your party. :(

Our neighbors also have a trampoline in their backyard, and our kids love it. Don't quite get the hate.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You have no idea the scorn I can heap over backyard trampolines.

You should have kicked those fuckers out of the party right about the pissing in your yard time. And do you really think just because you don't invite them next time they won't show up?

8. why

why Senior member

If I went to someone's house and they had a gravel driveway and a trampoline I'd figure pissing in the back yard is more than welcome.

I'd also have to ask them which part of Kentucky they're from and how much they sold the car on blocks for.

9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

:slayer:

5 people like this.
  10. why

why Senior member

:slayer:

One of the best things about Douglas is that he's more sensitive to gravel driveway jokes than Asian ones. :laugh:

1 person likes this.
  11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Sounds like these parts. Dreary day upon dreary day as of late. It's affecting my mood. :(

12. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I sort of, but only sort of, understand the trampoline hate.

Our old house was on an awful lot with a house behind ours where we shared the driveway with the people behind us. The woman who lived there was nice enough, but really pretty much a redneck herself. She had a great big trampoline in her backyard for her two boys, crammed into a tiny side yard that could barely accommodate it. It wouldn't have been so bad except that she never did any yard maintenance; we ended up mowing her lawn etc. because we had to look at it, and she genuinely didn't give a flying rat's ass. Needless to say, this trampoline began to rot. The steel rusted, springs went missing, the netting around the outside fell down, the jumping surface developed holes. The thing really did look like a rusted heap of shit. Behind it, a swing set was literally falling down onto itself like an abandoned ruin.

It was so bad even she decided she was done with it, so one day we helped her dismantle both derelict amusements and I hauled them to the dump in my truck.

About one year later, her ex-husband bought the kids a new one.

:facepalm:

[sidebar]Is it any wonder we haven't sold our old house yet?[/sidebar]

Anyways, this one was at least clean and new, and by this time we had a small daughter who absolutely adored jumping on it. She was about 2 when we moved, and for the first four months she asked daily if we could take her back to the "old house" so she could jump on the trampoline. So for her birthday, I bought her a small kids one with padded safety netting etc. It's definitely not the nicest looking thing in the world, and it annoys me that all the grass underneath it is dead, but we keep it clean and it's fairly presentable. It's also in my back yard, which is walled and fenced in, and nobody can see it from any neighboring yard. We have deed restrictions, and it would be illegal in the front yard per our community regs (though the occasional lacrosse bounceback is generally tolerated), but it's perfectly legal in the back yard!

Anyways, I know that children are not really SF-approved, but reasonably-maintained sports equipment is ok in my book.

13. js4design

js4design Senior member

[​IMG]

This a more elegant solution, but also a bit more permanent and certainly more expensive.

14. why

why Senior member

Yeah, but then you can't use the swimmin' hole and the trampoline at the same time.

15. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Trampolines seem like such a waste of money. You should be able to rent one for like a year and then get rid of it. I can't imagine kids will continue to play with those things for more than a year or two.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Only one at a time. After I make each one profitable, I sell it off and buy the next one, spending my capital gains on shoes and ties.

3 people like this.
  17. js4design

js4design Senior member

Then make two holes. Two holes are more fun anyway.

1 person likes this.
  18. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

My neighbor had a trampoline when I was a kid and we used it for years. I also got to third base for the first time on it.

2 people like this.
  19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yeah, it seems almost country wide, and its cramping my clothing style. :mad:

thats what i figured. they do tend to look pretty red-necky pretty fast, but with a big enough yard and if the trampoline is well maintained i think its perfectly acceptable and a lot of fun. even for adults.

also, kids are awesome. no pedo, i mean as parent, to have kids.

1 person likes this.
  20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Well, for those of you who don't have kids - I would certainly scorn you if you had one. But if you have kids and the space for it, it can be great.
    We had one in the backyard of our old house for probably 4-5 years. It certainly got more use in the first year than it did after the novelty wore off. But it would still get used up until the time we sold the house -- especially, but not exclusively, when my daughter had friends over who were not regular visitors and thus found some novelty in it. As far as the economics, I don't remember what I paid for it, but it was in the hundreds, not the thousands, of dollars. Amortized over all the times it was used, a pretty decent investment. The reality is, kids are a freaking expensive hobby. But as the associated costs go, this one wasn't so bad. Also, of course, you get casual use out of it when you own it that you wouldn't if you had to rent it, in which case you'd not only have to deal with the rental fees but also the hassle of having it delivered, set up in a yard that may or may not be organized for it, and broken down and taken away.

1 person likes this.