1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Be scared. Be very, very scared.

Could be worse in many ways though. You'll be fine.

2. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

PCR not freaking working.

Primers are new. Kit is new. I even did the old school phenol/chloroform purification step to absolutely get rid of protein and RNA. Getting heaps of DNA with a nice curve on nano drop. Seeing some primer dimers in the gel.

I have run out of ideas.

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

dont be scurred, be prepared!

CONSTANT VIGILANCE !

1 person likes this.
  4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can help you get heaps of DNA for a small fee.

5. MrG

MrG Senior member

For what it's worth, I'm 34 and can pretty much eat whatever I want. Perhaps it's just that my crappy diet/eating too much is less awful than anyone else's, but I have zero trouble with weight regardless of what I eat. Hell, when my son was an infant, I accidentally lost about 20 pounds, I'm guessing due to the stress and being sick all the time during his first year of daycare.

Still, I've been hearing, "it'll catch up with you" for years. Lo and behold, I'm well past when it's supposed to catch up with me, and I'm going great. My weight is good, and all my bloodwork is fantastic. I'm certain that I'll have to be a bit more vigilant as I age, but I don't see any reason to be concerned about a major issue.

I lost the genetic lottery in a number of ways, but it seems I lucked out in this case.

I hope you get it worked out. Something has to be killing that battery for it to die so fast.

True. I guess I just don't consider it breakfast since it's four or five hours after I get moving.

I'm about 50/50 on whether I'll eat if it's offered. Sometimes a big meal is fine first thing in the morning, but other times even the best-looking dish is repulsive.

This sucks. I'm sympathetic. One of the hardest parts about my ongoing relocation has been getting used to shared parking (I'm going from a single-family home to an apartment). People have absolutely no regard for the other cars in the lot, and half of them back-in park like they're fucking James Bond preparing for a quick getaway. Problem is, they're all really bad at it, so they end up parking on the line, sticking out in the road, etc.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  6. in stitches

well, of all the generic lotteries to win, the one where you dont die of a heart attack or other weight related causes, is a pretty good one to win.

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

G, I agree. It's very strange and literally started strong every time until it died. After that it would not hold a charge. Had it still been functioning, yet had a drain, I think it would have been able to be charged to produce a strong start, which it would no longer do. If the alternator is dead or there is some sort of drain I'll find out today.

Putting theory to test today, as the new battery has now sat overnight.

8. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

This has been a really lousy couple of weeks/months, and unfortunately there's not much of an end in sight. Hoping I can hang on through July; things should clear up a bit. Tons of stress, work, personal, etc. Tons to do, too much to do. Definitely some victories along the way but so many pains in the ass and stress points that I really don't have the time or the ability to enjoy them.

9. in stitches

sorry douglas. good luck, man.

10. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Holy fuck, it just got worse. As in, completely, potentially life-alteringly worse.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Stay strong, Doug. Things have to turn around at some point.

12. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Try and focus on the victories you already have in hand. It doesn't make the losses any better, but at least it keeps the spark alive.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

We had a reorganization at work at the beginning of the year where I gave up some longstanding responsibilities to a colleague. The whole year he has been trying to invite me to meetings, get me to make decisions, and give direction to my now-former team members on those things

I've categorically refused to hand hold him any longer, it's almost may now ffs. So now he's taken the tactic of having our boss book meetings (knowing I can't refuse) and then ambushing me at those meetings with questions or requests :fu:

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What a weasel. You need to figure ways to tank him as he's going to blame his missteps on you.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Yeah, now that I know what he's up to I'm going to tell him and the boss that I'm just not gonna do it anymore. I thought that I could handle it directly with him, but now that the boss is involved I'll tell him that I can't hand hold him any longer. I never involved him because i don't like making a colleague look bad but this has forced my hand

This realization has come too late for me to avoid a day and a half of pointless meetings, though

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

HRoi, Piob speaks truth.

17. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Hope things turn out okay.

18. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

It "caught up with" my dad when he was ~50. Took him seven or eight years to admit it, then he started watching what he eats to a limited extent (no more eating half a gallon of ice cream three times a week, etc) and he lost like 40 lbs.

I have to scratch and claw to stay in shape, although I've got some other shit going on on that front.

19. in stitches

really sorry to hear that douglas. i hope you can steer things in the right direction.

20. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Sorry, man. Hang tough.