• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I flew from the East Coast to the West and back recently. First time with sound isolating earbuds, and it was amazing how I wasn't bothered by the kids around me. I have yet to try active noise canceling, but for now, I'm really happy with my $70 Klipsch purchase.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I read a very interesting article about traffic flow, based on research done by a physicist. Basically, he looked at traffic as if the flow of cars were a fluid travelling in a tube, and he found that the same formulas that describe turbulent flow in a confined space work accurately describe traffic flow.
The key take away from the article was just as any small constriction in a tube causes backflow, increased turbulence and reduced rate of flow, there are equivalents in traffic: inclines, bends, merges, etc. The impact of these constrictions is increased with the rate of flow. Traffic jams propagate and self-perpetuate through traffic in a very similar way to turbulence in flow, creating the "standing wave" effect where you sit in traffic for 5 minutes, only to realize there's nothing actually blocking traffic, but looking back there's just as much traffic as there was when you reached the jam.
BTW the physicist's advice was for everyone to slow down a little bit, to where they can avoid using their brakes as much as possible - there is a relationship between rate of flow and turbulence. In other words, smooth traffic flow at 50 miles per hour will (likely) cover more distance per unit of time than turbulent flow at 60 miles per hour.

This explains a lot about DC/NOVA/MD traffic. Too much volume, too many self-important in a hurry assholes who can't imagine not being up every other car's ass, refuse to make any effort to let people merge. Minor behavior changes would help so much, but there's just a culture of ****** driving here.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This explains a lot about DC/NOVA/MD traffic. Too much volume, too many self-important in a hurry assholes who can't imagine not being up every other car's ass, refuse to make any effort to let people merge. Minor behavior changes would help so much, but there's just a culture of ****** driving here.

I had an interesting encounter back in september on Mt. Vernon Memorial Highway....

I was driving up to Mt. Vernon in last September and there was a woman riding ****** (I was going about 55 in a 45 zone - which I'm sure you know has a ton of cops in the area ready to pounce on Mt. Vernon Memorial HWY). She proceeds to start beeping at me (I was driving with my wife and friend who was in the front seat).

I get concerned and pull over thinking that maybe something is wrong with the car... and she pulls over too gets out and starts berating me for "not paying attention to the road" and "constantly talking to my friend" while driving. She claims that I was driving too slow (the GPS was constantly warning me that I was going 10mph over the speed limit). I was in too good of a mood to care and just did the AZN thing and said sorry drove off.

other than that though I love the washingtong DC area and don't even mind the weirdly passive aggressive driving habits driving around the area.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Individuals clearly off their meds and roaming the streets, 'you know this town is going to be consumed by an earthquake inside of tweleve months'. No I did not thank you very much for informing me. :fu:

Last edited:

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've wanted a pair of irish setter boots for ages. I found a pair today, and they were free.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Old people have been complaining about young people for forever.
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they allow disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children now are tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers

Socrates.

Ugh, old people these day, not knowing their classics.

This is not Socrates, it's a bastardization of a quote from "The Clouds" by Aristophanes.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Individuals clearly off their meds and roaming the streets, 'you know this town is going to be consumed by an earthquake inside of tweleve months'. No I did not thank you very much for informing me. :fu:

That man just gave you pertinent information. You should run back down the street and thank him. Then, book your vacation plans.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wasn't off my meds, and I was just trying to be of service to my fellow man. Your lack of thankfulness did not go unnoticed, I'll just put it that way.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Flight home today was filled with little children. I did not get to sleep at all.
:fu:
Every time I see parents with little kids/babies waiting at the same gate as me, my heart sinks.

i look forward to flying with you :devil:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

wasn't going to post about this but....was robbed last night, I could have avoided the situation but it happen really quickly and when I realized it I didn't have a way out unless I was willing to take significant risk and pretend I was Jack Bower. :plain: ****, this puts me behind quite a bit. I had 3 textbooks I had just bought, phone, camera, laptop, sunglasses, headphones, lighter, cutter, cash and a few other things I can't remember. Decided not to mention it to the family as they would worry and not really trying to put that on anyone right now.
AND Mom stopped by unannounced to see me and I was asleep (9am). There was an empty wine bottle in the kitchen so that may have not looked very good, I Just had one glass last night but the bottle was already low.

this sucks, but again, be glad you're unhurt. have you called the cops?

Thanks for all the support, guys. Just need to remember no one here gets out alive and try to make the best of things while we can.

as much as I want to buck this trend, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna fail. so +1.

this family with little kids is sitting in the coffee shop where I do my work. the kids are very very noisy. the parents are ignoring them. more than half the people in the coffee shop are there to work. there is a one year old or so who is pounding cups on the table and yelling. what the **** are people thinking? there are plenty of places for kids in the world, this isn't one of them.

I've always believe kids shouldn't be hanging out in coffee shops to begin with. everything about coffee shops (at least the decent ones) scream "kids don't belong here".

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

i look forward to flying with you :devil:

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Take a boat to your destination!

Although, it's not so much the 3-year-old and above kids that are a pain ********** to fly with, it's the kids who can't communicate or understand human language yet. So even after their parents tell them to shut the **** up, they still wail and cry and scream.

Today's flight was terrible because there was a mom with three kids. Two of them were probably 3-5 years old, but she had a 1-year old with her and that baby screamed and wailed ALL flight. She was in the row behind me and NOT ONCE did I ever hear her ******* try to console her baby. It's as if she thought everyone found her baby endearing. Several people rows ahead of me turned around to see what the **** was going on.

Normally I see the baby afterwards and I'm like aww, what a cute bugger, I'm not angry anymore. But this baby was ugly as **** and I de-boarded pissed as hell.

I'm a dick.

Last edited:

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Take a boat to your destination!
Although, it's not so much the 3-year-old and above kids that are a pain ********** to fly with, it's the kids who can't communicate or understand human language yet. So even after their parents tell them to shut the **** up, they still wail and cry and scream.
Today's flight was terrible because there was a mom with three kids. Two of them were probably 3-5 years old, but she had a 1-year old with her and that baby screamed and wailed ALL flight. She was in the row behind me and NOT ONCE did I ever hear her ******* try to console her baby. It's as if she thought everyone found her baby endearing. Several people rows ahead of me turned around to see what the **** was going on.
Normally I see the baby afterwards and I'm like aww, what a cute bugger, I'm not angry anymore. But this baby was ugly as **** and I de-boarded pissed as hell.
I'm a dick.

This is why I can't go anywhere....with twins that are under 2 I just can't subject so many people to the potential crying and whining. Mine are cute as **** though.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is why I can't go anywhere....with twins that are under 2 I just can't subject so many people to the potential crying and whining. Mine are cute as **** though.

On behalf of all the potential travelers who would be on the same plane as you, I thank you for your graciousness and consideration for other human beings.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That man just gave you pertinent information. You should run back down the street and thank him. Then, book your vacation plans.

I wasn't off my meds, and I was just trying to be of service to my fellow man. Your lack of thankfulness did not go unnoticed, I'll just put it that way.

LOL Gentlemen thank you for your sagely advice next time I will simply smile and say thank you.

Oh and Fang are you "Geting ready for the total destruction of those obnoxious toads tonight in the state of origin decider? My fridge is full of beer (not XXXX) and just waiting for the Blues to stick it right up the Maroons."

Last edited:

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the **** is it with people with high beams on today....

and ******* cops... holy ****... i thought i was gonna get pulled over for a DUI

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads