Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

And wander the old West helping right wrongs, and protect the weak and innocent against railroad tycoons and sundry other bad guys.

2. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

It's slightly worse than you say I think my Campy bikes have 4 different sized hex keys plus a different one for the Time pedals, however what you say is basically true. This is "things that are pissing you off" though and it pisses me off everytime I have to buy a new tool. My main bitch is the stupidity of the designs, why aren't cassette lock rings just a big hex bolt? And apart from the outboard cup tool (which was about $40 :fu: why isn't it just a big hex bolt or at least the same pattern as an older bottom bracket) the Campy bottom bracket I have just uses an Allen key (hex key) to join the spindle together, I thought cool no new tool, but nope you need a wierd extender for your torque wrench and I couldn't find one in Japan had to order it from O.S. :fu:

Also I've never worked on a newish car so I'm talking out of my arse.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

heh, my first car was a '79 Jeep soft-top and I had to fix a LOT of things on that bad boy. It was an awesome ride, though.

I have a (well, a bunch of) channel-lock wrench to take the filter off. works nicely, provided I grip at the cap.

As soon as I got the current Jeep I took the cover off and threw it away. But for special tools, when we picked up the wife's wagon...good lord. I ended up getting Torx bits, Torx sockets, inhex sockets, feh.

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I fucking loathe torx bolts. I have been slowly removing and replacing all the torx bolts on my Jeep with standard socket bolts.

5. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

I used to work on some IBM monitors that had Security Torx bolts holding the covers on, what a fuxing nightmare.

And come to think of it my Campag bikes have some torx screws, can't remember for what but I know I had to buy a set of torx drivers.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'd never considered that.

BTW: Thanks for posting the wheel-bearing write-up a while back, Harv. I knocked out the front bearings on my Jeep in under 2 hours a few weeks ago.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I've only used Shimano and have put maybe 200 miles on my bike, so I haven't known this joy, and I doubt I Ever will.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wait, a few weeks back your wife blew out a tire. Didn't you say that she was thinking about getting the new Land Rover, or something?

But you have Netflix, which is 1000x worse.

Very true, also these days most everything in a car is controlled by a computer, which complicates diagnostics and repairing.

You're getting like me.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Don't think so. She did blow a tire, which cost $450 to replace, but she's only about 18 months into a 36 month lease. She doesn't get a new ride until next summer. I'm getting something new by Xmas this year...just don't know what yet.

Listening to all these service horror stories, including the BMW dealership, reminds me we have a long history with our MB dealership and how awesome the service is.

10. patrickBOOTH

My father who owns an auto body shop and an engine repair shop says that out of all of the luxury cars BMW's are by far the absolute worst of the bunch.

11. patrickBOOTH

I cannot not be a total asshole to the IR people at my company.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

not really, i only get 2 dvds at a time and the streaming doesnt have so much stuff i like to watch. also i dont really enjoy watching on the laptop. i like watching on the larger screen from my bed. so with that limited material i cant go totally overboard.

welp, that is good for him right?

what is the best luxury car in his opinion, as far as staying out of the repair shop?

@ Piob - what are you thinking about getting?

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it smells horrible in my office and i know who is to blame.

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

twss.

15. patrickBOOTH

He says it makes no difference to him really. It is just shitty for people who own them, because you have to get all parts through BMW and charge out the ass. He said that they are put together very cheaply and aren't sturdy cars at all. My dad is a huge "buy-American" guy, but he says the best luxury cars appear to be Lexus. That is a lot coming from him. He also said that if you are leasing a BMW and like it then it is most likely fine, but a horrible car to buy because of the cost to fix them as they age. If you are leasing a car for 3 years or so any new car is most likely ok as long as you take care of it.