• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
got home 1:30 in the morning, fell asleep at 2... woke up at 6:00 and now its the middle of the day, its 91 degrees outside, my head's pounding, my eyelids feels like lead and I have to fix some ******* machine outside in half an hour.

Cordwinder

Reaction score

Got any non-profit/charity work in your resume? Might be a way to get some temwork under your belt.

This. Many smaller charities have surprisingly low standards for board members. Volunteer for a few projects, chat up the board members, join the board, and voila, you have group experience. If you're really ambitious volunteer for one of the ****** officer jobs that no one wants - treasurer or secretary.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into this.
But I can't think any areas that I would be interested in doing volunteer work.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

got home 1:30 in the morning, fell asleep at 2... woke up at 6:00 and now its the middle of the day, its 91 degrees outside, my head's pounding, my eyelids feels like lead and I have to fix some ******* machine outside in half an hour.

Sybian broke?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got the promotion today (officially--I'd known it was coming) so I'll be moving on up soon...BUT the money is a lot less than I expected.

In fact it is basically about the same or slightly less than I estimate I would have made this year without the promotion (I lose overtime eligibility but the salary is higher). Obviously I am not going to turn down the promotion because it is huge for my future to get this promotion this fast....I only got promoted to my current level last year and many people spend years there without getting promoted (or have to go back to school in order to get there).

But still...the pay is not even in the range I would expect for the position based on my own intuition and what I see on sites like glassdoor for our competitors. Its 20% less than the number I had in my head this morning before getting the actual letter :( I know I don't have an MBA or a PhD like a lot of new hires at that level, but I would have thought the increase in responsibility (not to mention billing rate) would at least be worth more than the raise I was expecting to get but for the promotion.

Obviously I have to at least try to negotiate it a little bit but the problem is that with the way we are structured, I don't even know who I would have to negotiate it with. I don't know how much standing I have to do so but they have essentially showed their cards and displayed that they value my work enough to promote me so at least I have that going for me (they can't come back and say I'm under-performing and thus should be paid less)

I get an office though :) ...but I lose my awesome water-view (if I have a window at all) :(

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I got the promotion today (officially--I'd known it was coming) so I'll be moving on up soon...BUT the money is a lot less than I expected.
In fact it is basically about the same or slightly less than I estimate I would have made this year without the promotion (I lose overtime eligibility but the salary is higher). Obviously I am not going to turn down the promotion because it is huge for my future to get this promotion this fast....I only got promoted to my current level last year and many people spend years there without getting promoted (or have to go back to school in order to get there).
But still...the pay is not even in the range I would expect for the position based on my own intuition and what I see on sites like glassdoor for our competitors. Its 20% less than the number I had in my head this morning before getting the actual letter :( I know I don't have an MBA or a PhD like a lot of new hires at that level, but I would have thought the increase in responsibility (not to mention billing rate) would at least be worth more than the raise I was expecting to get but for the promotion.
Obviously I have to at least try to negotiate it a little bit but the problem is that with the way we are structured, I don't even know who I would have to negotiate it with. I don't know how much standing I have to do so but they have essentially showed their cards and displayed that they value my work enough to promote me so at least I have that going for me (they can't come back and say I'm under-performing and thus should be paid less)
I get an office though :) ...but I lose my awesome water-view (if I have a window at all) :(

Wow.. sounds like you landed a post-MBA role. I'd be happy as **** for that alone (and the office! are you freaking kidding me?!)!

I have directors at my company who have been out of biz school for 3-4 years who still sit in cubicles.

What's the raise percentage?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well, sorry bout the letdown, ive been there too, it sucks. but still glad for ya on the promo. :cheers:
---
feel better acid. :(

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
man that sounds so much better than my company.... tiered system. no one gets to move up unless they complete a minimum amount of years of service

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might be right about colas, but a good root beer or birch beer (I'm fond of Dad's and Thomas Kemper) is always going to be better than Barq's.

Thunder hole brewery in bar harbor used to do a killer root beer concentrate, just add fizzy water. failing that, virgils is my favorite, you can get that one at trader joes (and its parve)

1. it is a joo fast day and im starving.
2. my macbook has not arrived yet
3. some asshole shaved in the sink today in the office bathroom and left all the gross hair sitting in the sink. :barf:
4. some other (or maybe the same) asshole walks around the hall talking loudly on his bluetooth all the time.

So are you drunk yet? You're meant to be right?

I have to go to Texas for my girlfriend's cousin's wedding in November.
ffffuuuu.gif

Weddings suck if you're not single, Texas sucks if ya aint from there. I think I have a bolo and a stetson somewhere if you want to borrow them. remember, black jeans=black tie in texas.

Go to a strip club. No other place in the country has strip clubs like Houston.

nowhere has strip clubs like trenton nj, doesn't mean you should go to one. unless you have a gmilf/bullletwound/trackmark fetish

man that sounds so much better than my company.... tiered system. no one gets to move up unless they complete a minimum amount of years of service

sucks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow.. sounds like you landed a post-MBA role. I'd be happy as **** for that alone (and the office! are you freaking kidding me?!)!
I have directors at my company who have been out of biz school for 3-4 years who still sit in cubicles.
What's the raise percentage?

the raise percentage would depend on how much overtime i work but it is probably close to zero or slightly negative considering how my schedule has looked so far this year.

I'm sure I am not the youngest person to ever reach this level (conceivably you could do it a year earlier) but as of now I would be the youngest person currently at the level by 2 years (and that guy has have an MA) and then there is another 2 year gap to the next youngest people...so am kind of worried that I am getting short changed just because I am young...but I don't want to get started on a low number and always get % raises on top of that so that I always end up with a lower salary than someone else at the same title.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Liam O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lawlz, not tonight, tomorrow maybe. not a requirement tho.

I'm not required to give things up for lent, but its expected.

I've given up fasting every lent for the last 14 years, never regretted it a minute ;)

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm firmly convinced that there is a god, because NO natural turn of events would so negatively influence my life. There HAS TO BE someone upstairs, directly affecting the outcomes in my life in such ****** ways. The big man upstairs gets no end of pleasure ******* with me.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tried to do my taxes last night online via the do it yourself service, which didn't work and I have just tried calling them to hear WTF is going on and all I got was "we can't answer your call right now, please try again later" :fu:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. I will look into this.
But I can't think any areas that I would be interested in doing volunteer work.

Wayward teenage girls?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm not required to give things up for lent, but its expected.

I've given up fasting every lent for the last 14 years, never regretted it a minute ;)

My grandmother forced us to eat fish every friday...

God bless her..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads