• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So at the risk of turning a good friend's wedding into a matter of dollars and cents, this thing is going to hit my wallet hard:
- $175 tux
- $45 for party bus for silly joint "bachelor-bachelorette" party + drinks at the bars we go to
- Gift from a catalog for some silly pampered chef party they're having two weeks after the above party
- The actual wedding gift
- Hotel room for after the wedding
- Gas money to make the pair of four-hour round-trip drives down to where they live for the wedding shower and actual wedding
All in, I'm probably looking at about $500, which is a lot for me considering what I bring in each month. They're two really down to earth people, but ****, they both have very well paying jobs, whereas the rest of us (groomsmen) bring in pretty menial wages. If they want to do it up for their wedding, then I have no problem with that. But intentionally or not, they're forcing their less well-off friends to "keep up."

not that bad... i had to pay for a $300 plane ticket (destination wedding). also, since the best man was a little kid, i took over duties for planning/paying for the bachelor party (ended up being ~ $400 bucks). wedding gift = ~ $60 (i cheaped out)... I think I spent a grand roughly... mainly because the other groomsmen were shady ass characters.

i'd hate to say it but the dude was kinda being a diva about it all too.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL at a joint bachelor/bachelorette party. Someone is insecure.

Also, sucks the wedding will hit your wallet hard. Weddings are generally like that. At least it's not a destination wedding.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great wedding gift is a US Savings bond. The face says double what you paid for it and most people just thank you for how generous you are and put it in a drawer and forget about it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I had a ******* leaky pipe on my second floor a little while ago. No irreparable damage, just some staining on the ceiling below, which unfortunately happens to be my den. I've put up three coats of Killz but it's still showing a little. Now, I never look at the ceiling. But the ladies I bring home might be looking at the ceiling if we're laying down on the couch. I really don't want to spend the time and money to replace part of the ceiling, I've got a dozen other things I'm working on. So how bad is this?

Here it is in full light from the ceiling fixture.

7fc8d28d.jpg

But here it is with the low watt lamp that I'd be using to set the mood while playing Barry White on the record player.

fb10d98c.jpg

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
^^
the problem with something like that is that it looks far worse than it is. which is okay if you don't care about appearance, but you brought up women and I dont think they'll be as understanding

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^^
the problem with something like that is that it looks far worse than it is. which is okay if you don't care about appearance, but you brought up women and I dont think they'll be as understanding

****. I know you're right too.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

****. I know you're right too.

if you really wanted to you could scrape all the stucco off the ceiling of the room, then plaster that portion. pretty sure it'd be fine after that if you did a decent enough plaster job. simple/cost effective patch solution. The only thing is, if you have, or anyone else has, thrown a coat of paint on the ceiling, you're fucked. Also, I think a bare ceiling looks far better than a stucco one (only better alternative would be an original 1890s-1920s plaster pattern for a ceiling :drool:)

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i need to quit smoking again now that im done with my super miserable stressful job. ill be a horrible grouch for the first few days i imagine.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not so much as it's pissing me off, but still fending off the jitters. Almost lost my left eye today, one of those stories where it's like another half inch and it would be gone. Crazy.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score

Not so much as it's pissing me off, but still fending off the jitters. Almost lost my left eye today, one of those stories where it's like another half inch and it would be gone. Crazy.

it's happened to me many times. be glad you're fine and let it go.

i need to quit smoking again now that im done with my super miserable stressful job. ill be a horrible grouch for the first few days i imagine.

good luck! for some reason it's easy for me to quit smoking. I haven't smoked in a couple months and just noticed that the other day when someone offered me a smoke during a conversation. no complaints though!

now cookie dough on the other hand, I am thoroughly addicted to.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wtf stucco?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads