Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

T-bone, sorry to hear things got out of hand. When that happens it's all about a quality recovery.

2. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

LOL. There's a name for this event -- it's called a "wedding shower." The whole point of a bachelor/bachelorette party is to have a fun night out with friends of the same gender. If you can't trust your future spouse not to mess around, maybe you shouldn't be getting married.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Eh, some people (like my parents) are just really picky and want to have control over every little detail in their home. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

4. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

We are almost done. We're 95% complete, really, and we've moved in and are living there.

But the last 5% is really chapping my ass, and the GC is getting very dodgy. I'm sure he's moved on to his next job and so getting subs back piecemeal to do the little remaining odds and ends is a pain in his ass, and so he's not getting his ass in gear to do it. Example: Alarm guy needs to finish, electrical guy is still supposedly waiting on a part, plumber needs to address some issues, and there are a few little carpentry things - mounting the TV wall rack and wiring, a few transition thresholds, turning 2 doors into dutch doors. He wants to hit all these things in one or two days, since he has to be around to oversee the work, rather than hanging around on 4 separate days. So he's trying to coordinate 4 people to be there on one day and the electrical guy keeps claiming he's waiting on a part (which I think is BS - either he ordered it really late or there's something going on) so in the meantime none of these things get done. It's very, very frustrating.

Piob - this was a major reno, not new construction... but beware of foreclosures. There's a very high incidence of foreclosures having major issues. I have a few friends who have chased these things and a few friends in the realty business and they are often very wary. Even in a "good" house, you're going to want to do some work - redo a kitchen or bath, or need to upgrade a system, and you'll need a contractor anyways.

My guy has been solid overall, though for this last bit I think he's been quite unprofessional. In the grand scheme of things, though, I wouldn't let me being pissed off about it dissuade you totally from doing any work. I'm but one data point in a huge world of different contractors, different situations, different complexities, and trade-offs.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Douglas, I know you were a reno and figure a new build will be worse. There's always something, from "soil not as expected, another 25k for blah blah," etc. Also, re: foreclosures, that's good advice. The GC that was going to build our house has very strong ties to me (including the fact his daughter is one of my senior managers) and he's been known as a quality builder in our community for about 30 years. When I discussed with him I actually sold my lot his first reaction was offering his services to inspect any house I buy, in need of work or not, just because he knows me so well. If we grab a foreclosure...and it might be one of the many that got X% finished then people lost financing....I'll get him to do the work.

Those houses lost to financing like that? As much as it hurt to not get our dream hosue built, lost about 20k in the whole process, I am just so happy we were not 8-10 months farther down the road or we would have been one of those people. I still cannot believe we went from initial appraisal of an instant 30% gain over cost of build to cost of build being 40% more than final appraisal estimate. In real dollars we're talking a swing of several hundred k. Blows my mind.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

+1. A little anger every now and then is a good reminder that you're head of the pack. The boy will recover.

7. gort

gort Senior member

Nothing to do with SOPA. Just torrents are an easy way to get caught.

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

that sucks, i had that not with my house, but with finishing my basement. a gave up and hired a friend who is handyman to finish up the last few things. did he get all his money before the final walk through?

+1

despite the snark, i agree with inndesertum on this one.

+1

thanks piob. i will.

building a house was one of the most thrilling and enjoyable pthings i have ever done. i highly recommend it if feasible.

ugh, i knoe thw feeling, but sometimes we fly off the handle. even you are human T, dont let it bring you down, just learn from it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I feel like I am that Curbed episode with David Schwimmer. I just opened up a package of "Apricots and Almonds". about 30 almonds and 2 apricots. It should be called, "Almonds and maybe a couple apricots".

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

You mention this show at least once a day. Are you even a legit Jew?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

11. patrickBOOTH

I am not a Jew at all. But I look and act as though I should be.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Don't.

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Nobody seems to care about my tale of woe. :( I thought you were my boys.

14. patrickBOOTH

Don't you want me?

You know I don't believe you when I hear that you won't see me. Don't.

Don't you want me?

You know I don't believe you when you say that you don't need me. Don't.

15. APK

APK Senior member

It's weird, because I've never gotten the impression that there are trust issues. But I was talking to the best man this morning, and apparently the reason this is happening is because neither one wants anyone touching the other. I mean, if that is a VALID concern, then perhaps vowing to spend the rest of their lives together isn't the best idea even though I really like them as a couple.