1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

What makes you think your problems are NOT first world white guy problems?

Thomas, I'm so saddened to read that. How old was your son when you took him in?

I confess, I fear exactly the scenario you described. We've discussed adopting for a long time, but as I've gotten older I have less and less desire to adopt a baby - I just don't have the energy for it. Mrs. A. always says, "no problem, we'll adopt older kids", but I'm concerned that by the time they're 5 or 6, they may have developed terrible habits that are all but impossible to break. I'd say I've seen more examples of where this has not worked out well than where it has, but of course the bad stories stick out in memory more than the good.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Over the years I've kept shortening his story because people would stare in disbelief and get really long in the face as I proceeded through the twists and turns. Long story short, he was 9 when he was placed, 11 when we adopted, and will be 13 in September. Older kids, though, are what's available right away through the system, but if you are active in a church that's an option - as are private surrogacy agencies (which kinda raise my hackles in some aspects).

As I've heard it, 7-8 is more or less a turning point where teachable moments start vanishing and value systems are more or less set. Change is always possible - with anyone, anytime - but your ability as a parent to effect change diminishes with each passing year. That said, even some 1-year-olds can be damaged goods in terms of attachment. It's a crapshoot.

If you'd like my perspective (and endless stories), hit me up via pm or phone.

3. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I took an Ambien last night, had sex, and went to sleep. It was my first Ambien and I feel like it didn't do anything.

4. J888www

J888www Active Member

+1

Also, my apology for taking the liberty to quote you in another Post without firstly seeking your consent.
    Sometimes it slightly irritates me when people attack the Posters and not the Posts with singular words from their limited grasp of vocabulary.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I believe this may have something to do with the earlier sunrise time and should persist to a certain extent until the summer solstice. My kids are up at 5:30 these days - it's "wake-up sky" out there at 5:45... :fu:

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

You slept, didn't you?

Try taking 2, washed down with a couple of fingers of scotch. Verrrrrry nice.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Could you PM me your mailing address as I would like to send you both a clue and a sense of humour. On me. ;)

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Throw in a bottle of Milagro Anejo and you've got a deal.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This very well could be the issue.

Btw, I went to greenpoint at a few places looking for the Polish vodka. No dice, only American.

10. patrickBOOTH

You're going to find this interesting. If I have sex, or jerk-off Ambien doesn't work on me. It must have a cancelling effect with the chemicals that are released in your brain during an orgasm. Also, more common is taking it with food. If you have eaten within the hour dont even bother.

11. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I'm surprised you'd trust a male prostitute not to go through all your stuff while you were knocked out on Ambien.

12. patrickBOOTH

Floor cleaning was a royal pain in the ass. I got very sweaty.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Now that's gonna cost you.

14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Fucking Christ, this is so :brickwall:

I moved to a new house around Christmastime. Since moving, I have yet to receive a single Wall Street Journal. My company has a corporate subscription, and our AP girl who handles this account has been calling for MONTHS, DOZENS of times. They are very nice about crediting the account for papers not received, but the point is that I have rarely been so frustrated about the inability of someone to get something done. I guess they have local delivery agents but Jesus, can I get this fucker on the phone and give him a good lashing? Instead, it's Beth asking me "Did you get your paper yet?" and I say "Fuck no" and she calls someone in a call center who then probably calls someone in delivery who calls someone else who calls the local agent. It's really annoying not to be able to get something so simple done. After months of trying.

15. patrickBOOTH

This reminds me of that Curbed episode.

16. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I got angry in my car because there was a place I really needed to find and couldn't. I punched the dash and now my pinky finger hurts.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  17. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Did you cross post this to the "manly stuff I did today" thread?

18. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

thanks - that is exactly the way I see it. also, I figure if I spend 2 months take home or re-decorating the house, I'll like it better, too, and I will be able to show that I did every thing I could to make it better for her .

I find it a little frustrating - I am at the top of my game, and life is going very well for me, but I feel that she would really like to have a satisfying and relativly lucrative job, and that nothing she is trained to do would be both. she has 5 languages and computer skills, I bet she could make pretty good money in a boring administrative job, and she has great teaching skills and is creative, she could have fun teaching or making stuff, but not make money. I am fine with both, but I think that she wants something that she isn't going to get. maybe in a few years she'll go back to school. who knows.

19. patrickBOOTH

I cannot picture you losing control.

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

It sucks to have this creating stress in your life, when otherwise everything seems to be going so well for you.

5 languages + computer skills = lucrative and (possibly) satisfying career in software localization, which can often be done from home. Great teaching skills + computer skills = (somewhat) lucrative and (possibly) satisfying career in software training. Don't assume that she needs to have the technology skills already to get these jobs - they're pretty easy to pick up compared to teaching and languages.