• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

VonLehndorff

Reaction score
despite the great irony i will still ask, do you think you could contribute something worthwhile to this thread?

okok I'll try
cheers.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is it that you do on Mondays that make them so horrible? Don't you just rejoice that you are the only second year surgical resident in the history of medicine that gets weekends off?

Maybe he is part time surgical resident..

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1 man. i know how it feels and my heart goes out to you. each year i get older it gets worse. but it will improve. at least thats what people tell me.

Fortunately, I don't have it as bad as what you describe. On its face, my job isn't bad. In fact, if you're the type who just wants to come in, do a fairly straightforward job, and go home, it's probably great, but that's not me. I can't count how many times I've thought, "I went to grad school for this!?" It may sound funny to some people, but I'd rather have to really, really work than to have a job where there's nothing to push me. The problem is that I'm not even remotely challenged, and I need that desperately both for personal contentment and to inspire me to better-quality production.

Plus, because all of the people above me, both in seniority and time in position, there's basically no room for advancement here.

There are also some other complaints I have about the way we're managed, the piss-poor quality of some of my coworkers, and some other stuff, but that would all be much less bothersome if I had a job I enjoyed.

I'm hopeful it will improve. I view what I'm doing now as paying my dues and earning a paycheck while I set myself up for the next, positive, move.

I know the feeling. This year, however, is going to be different.

I'm telling myself the same thing. I've been pursuing other options off and on, but my mantra is fast becoming "this year will not end like it started."

You just have to come to terms with the fact work sucks. There is little personal satisfaction to be gained from a job other than the life it allows you to lead. Put in that perspective and I think it helps, well, at least it helped me. I'm not saying stop trying to advance, etc., I'm just saying don't pay attention to the malarky about jobs bringing meaning to your life, etc.

I've definitely come to terms with that. There's no question I'd rather be a trust-fund kid who leads a life of leisure, but I think there's something to be said for not dreading work on Monday. Honestly, I'm just looking for something that will bring me professional fulfillment, which is distinct from life fulfillment, and where I am is definitely not providing that.

I suppose the short version is that I know I'm probably never going to look forward to going to work on Monday, but I have to believe there's a job out there that will at least help me avoid the pit-of-my-stomach feeling I get every Sunday evening.

Also, life as a mid-level bureaucrat in a mid-size government is definitely not providing the means to live the life I'd like to lead. :laugh:

Last edited:

VonLehndorff

Reaction score
From one who has jumped careers- use every position as a stepping stone- advancement comes mostly from changing employers- be the guy they don't want to lose and apply elsewhere when you have the proof you are the guy they need. be a 2% er- 98% of people are lazy and worthless. If you don't look forward to getting to your work on Monday morning - change!
fing02[1].gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so i had a moment at work that normally made me go I have to get a new job. Instead all I feel is a raging apathy. I suppose that truly is the bottom.

At least I resolved to apply for job this week.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

so i had a moment at work that normally made me go I have to get a new job. Instead all I feel is a raging apathy. I suppose that truly is the bottom.
At least I resolved to apply for job this week.

Somebody took a dump in your fav urinal again, huh?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Completely ******* discontent professionally, and it's affecting my entire life. Problem is, all my attempts at changing are met with some type of roadblock.

I am 100% in the same boat.

Worked 10 hours yesterday. On an assignment that barely anyone will look at, I imagine. Need to get out of here.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Worked 10 hours yesterday. On an assignment that barely anyone will look at, I imagine. Need to get out of here.

The main difference is:
MrG is competent, qualified, hard working, went to grad school and a decent human being. So really not the same boat at all.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Go get an MPA, and we'll start a consulting firm! I'll do finance, revenue, capital planning, and budgets, and you can do politician stuff.

The main difference is:
MrG is competent, qualified, hard working, went to grad school and a decent human being. So really not the same boat at all.

Shucks, Ed, I think that's nicest thing you've ever said about me. :embar:

Some of it's even true! :laugh:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
because this post is so eerily similar to thoughts i have almost daily i feel compelled to break it down. no creep intended.

Fortunately, I don't have it as bad as what you describe. On its face, my job isn't bad.

aside from that one sentence the rest of your post sounds like you are talking about me and my job.

In fact, if you're the type who just wants to come in, do a fairly straightforward job, and go home, it's probably great, but that's not me. I can't count how many times I've thought, "I went to grad school for this!?" It may sound funny to some people, but I'd rather have to really, really work than to have a job where there's nothing to push me. The problem is that I'm not even remotely challenged, and I need that desperately both for personal contentment and to inspire me to better-quality production.

agree 100%. the feeling that you are wasting your talents and capabilities and could be providing so much more value than you are being used for is something i really struggle with.

inb4stitchesurworthlessjoak

Plus, because all of the people above me, both in seniority and time in position, there's basically no room for advancement here.

exactly. if i stay here for 20 years ill be in the spot i am now. scares the **** out of me.

There are also some other complaints I have about the way we're managed, the piss-poor quality of some of my coworkers, and some other stuff, but that would all be much less bothersome if I had a job I enjoyed.

ZOMG i think you work for my company, but i know you dont.

I'm hopeful it will improve. I view what I'm doing now as paying my dues and earning a paycheck while I set myself up for the next, positive, move.
I'm telling myself the same thing. I've been pursuing other options off and on, but my mantra is fast becoming "this year will not end like it started." I've definitely come to terms with that.

yup. and each time the year ends and thing are the same i feel that much more :(

There's no question I'd rather be a trust-fund kid who leads a life of leisure,

jeezawheez would that be nice. i think about that way too much.

but I think there's something to be said for not dreading work on Monday. Honestly, I'm just looking for something that will bring me professional fulfillment, which is distinct from life fulfillment, and where I am is definitely not providing that.
I suppose the short version is that I know I'm probably never going to look forward to going to work on Monday, but I have to believe there's a job out there that will at least help me avoid the pit-of-my-stomach feeling I get every Sunday evening.

that feeling in my gut almost prevents from getting out of bed in the morning on somedays. i too believe there must be something out there.

:gazesoutofwindowintothestarrynight:

Also, life as a mid-level manager in a mid-size company is definitely not providing the means to live the life I'd like to lead. :laugh:

FTFM :(

Last edited:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The main difference is:

I went to Princeton Law, so shove it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Something I am pissed about is this stupid report that my group does that we send to the BOD every month. It is a useless thing, and just busy work. I have never understood it and have been very candid about it to my boss. Our VP sends out an email saying basically what I have been saying the last two years and now my boss is scrambling to change it.

Can't complain too much. He did promote me. :slayer:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads