Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

firstly, that is one of the awesomest things ever.

secondly, i know im an idiot, but in theory wouldnt this kinda be possible with strong enough magnets placed at the exact required distance from each other to have that effect on one another?

2. otc

otc Senior member

:facepalm:

where do you think the opposing force on the magnet-on-a-stick is transferred to? Oh yeah, to your hands....which transfer the force to your feet, which transfer it back into the same damn boat as the other magnet.

3. in stitches

i dont know maaaaaann, im not sold. the dude thinks otherwise;

[​IMG]

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I thought I beat jetlag and insomnia from arriving from a 14hour flight (HKG-JFK) on 9pm on the 31st by running a race at central park 12:00am 1/1/12 then partying afterwards.

I woke up at 8am yesterday fresh and ready to do something with the wife... but she ended up sleeping in the whole day and I started to watch all the football games and slowly and stupidly laid with the wife for a "nap" and promptly woke up 8 hours later.

I've been up since 2am and will just stay awake now and thorough the whole day tomorrow.

5. in stitches

monday sucks even worse when half the universe is not working.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

What if you kept jumping up and down? When you were in the air your feet would not be touching the boat so no force would be transferred during the air portion of each jump. I have done some envelope calculations and figure with a big enough magnet, a properly hydrodynamic haul, and someone with good hang time, the speed of light could be approached.

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Ah- hahahahaha,. Nope. From the boat's perspective, the magnets are stationery. Therefore...no movement.

TRUTH. My second alma mater is playing in a bowl game in Dallas today but I can't be there because we're working today for reasons I don't understand. Oh, wait I do understand, but I dislike them terribly and think they don't hold any water. This will be my last year here. Period.

8. in stitches

wait what?

the picture makes it appear that the magnet on the boat is chasing the one on the rope, and thus pushing the boat forward. now that i dont think would happen.

but you know when you put a magnet near another one, but in the way that propels it away instead of attracting it? so if you had it that the magnet on the rod was on a swinging rope, and the one on the boat was fixed in place, wouldnt it push the one on the rod away? then it would start swinging on the rope. each time it swings back it would be pushed away by the magnet that is affixed. would this not gain momentum? and thus at least slightly lurch the boat forward?

inorite. i almost hope we have a shit day just to prove it was stupid to be here, but i know in reality i will just get the blame. but i also know that much like yesterday there will be next to no customers today. such bullshit.

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

this is more comon than you would think. people can be such assholes about this stuff.

my boss is a really smart woman - she gave each of her kids 100K towards education, and then made it crystal clear that they weren't getting anything else from her, nada. it all goes to charity when she dies. so everyone gets along well, there is no good reason to fight over stuff. I think that that is a very smart thing to have done

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I'm a little hung over. it does't happen to me that much, and I really enjoyed getting there, so I am not regreting it, but it's less pleasant than one might hope.

11. otc

otc Senior member

But what is the rope attached to?

12. in stitches

a stick.

why did you only quote that part of my post btw?

13. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

And the stick is attached to the boat...behind the other magnet. The overall forces would cancel each other out.

14. in stitches

i am not convinced. if the one on the boat is affixed, shouldnt the swinging of the magnet on the rope create some kind of movement?

will all the inertia really be cancelled out by the second magnet?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Holy Shit.

:facepalm: