Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Heh. Those are gradually being phased out here in Los Angeles area. Turns out it they caused more accidents, the courts had a hard time enforcing them and there was corruption on part of makers and vendors and city councils.

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I'm curious to know how they ended up causing more accidents. Also, I imagine that most people don't challenge them b/c it's a hassle. I'm not going to challenge mine. But that means I have to pay a fine that will probably cover my fragrance budget for the second half of December. Ugh.

3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

1. Slam your brakes at a [typically shortened] yellow you'd normally go through. Rear-ended.
    2. Some states it's actually not legally enforceable -- people just pay because they've been conditioned like sheep. I think in CA it's not even a valid ticket unless hand-delivered by an officer, but don't quote me on it. Just hearsay from a friend out there. Definitely look up your state's law about what qualifies as a proper ticket.

4. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Yellow?

5. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

The traffic light that warns drivers that the red (stop) light is coming up soon. My default is to try to speed through them. When I judge badly in that regard, the city of St. Louis takes a photo of me and makes me pay money to them.

6. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

Yea, deadly7 sums it up. How it started in city of Los Angeles proper (so, don't try this in some other incorporated city) is that Judges were not willing to waste time when some people actually fought the case. All it took was some word to get out that you don't have to pay the fine and no action would be taken against you to start the snowball effect; no money generated from red light cameras means no money to regulate them and enforce them.

Search for videos of rear end collisions. People got so scared of the 400 dollar tickets that stopping short on a yellow become a serious concern since while one person is trying to avoid the ticket, another person is conditioned to speed through a yellow.

7. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Those aren't real tickets, though. At least not in Texas. They don't give you the evidence you need for a criminal fine so it's actually a civil complaint. If I remember correctly, the city would actually have to file suit against you to collect the money. They can probably send you to a collection agency, but I'm not sure that things like that have much of an effect on your credit.

8. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Well, my grandma's doctor told her what we've been expecting: looks like there are several more tumors, and so they'll be ceasing intravenous chemo and switching to oral. Even so It's quite obvious she won't be getting any better. Very hard to hear this even though I knew it was coming.

9. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Sorry about your g-ma, Conne.

10. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

sorry, conne. best to you and your fam.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Plus 1

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I'm sorry to hear that, Conne. Good luck in the months ahead.

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

The check-in people at the Air Canada counter gave me shit for being less than an hour early for check-in for an "international" flight. Let's not get all uppity, now, Canada.

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Ugh. "new roommate" who moved in a few months ago pissed all over the toilet seat this morning and didn't clean it up. i remember when he moved in he complained about how his previous roommates were too messy.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Sorry to hear about your G-ma, Conne. Try to spend as much time with her right now as you can.

Douglas, fucking Canucks, eh?