Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Amen brother.

Side note to the sleeping thing - you guys need some Ambien. Its cheap as shit, will knock you out so you can sleep, and doesn't leave you hungover in the morning. Highly recommended.

2. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

If you like your sleep, you will definitely not ever have kids. Or dogs, especially older ones. Or a kitchen, or laundry.

I was about to type out last night's festivities but thought better of it. I think I got a solid 4 hours last night between the house, the dogs, and the baby.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I used to take it, but after several weeks of taking it it definitely has an effect on you. I had the shakes and felt hungover 24/7. Not good long term at all. Plus, I would do and say wacky shit on it. I mean, like even wackier shit than I already say.

4. patrickBOOTH

Well, my mother is not a jew, but she sure acts like one when it comes to me. She supports me 100% in me not wanting kids. She is way to vain to have anybody call her, grandmother.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

my bad, i thought you said once you had a jewmom. soory bout that. its nice that she supports you. but i dont :devil: you should have kids some day.

6. MrG

MrG Senior member

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not the type to shield him from people. Quite the opposite, I love it when others take an interest in him. He's a really social kid, and has been since he was very young - at his first daycare his teachers used to talk about how he smiled at every parent who came through the door. This is something I want to foster, so we encourage others to play with him if they wish. Even so, being a responsible grown-up 101 is stuff like "don't play with babies when you're sick." It's just so :facepalm: to me that she didn't at least mention it to us before she played with him.

FTFY

Seriously, though, being a father is really, really awesome, and I say that as someone who was completely ambivalent about the idea pretty much until the missus got knocked up.

Even so, nothing wrong with never having them, so long as you don't become one of those people who makes up for it by treating their dog like it's a child. That's just sad and annoying.

7. patrickBOOTH

No, I said I have a hot mom. :slayer:

8. patrickBOOTH

I don't want kids for the same reason I don't want a dog. The time, effort, expense, and my temperament.

9. MrG

MrG Senior member

Perfectly reasonable. It's definitely better to recognize you're probably not parent material before you go and make a kid.

10. patrickBOOTH

Exactly, it is an educated decision. I hate when people tell me I should reconsider. It is like, didn't you listen to anything I just said? It is not stubborn, I just know myself too well and I am not willing to put in what a child needs. For somebody to push me regardless to consider after hearing that, they probably aren't good parents... or they are just jealous that they had kids and are miserable so they want me to be as well.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

+1. But if America had the common sense to do that, and had none of the weird icky religious stigmas to prevent it, the population would've been declining from like 30 years ago, much like the established and now multiply times depressed Asian nations. :D You'd have just a few '99%ers' banging on your door asking why the fuck you old people are gonna require so much SS in a few decades.

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Not great reasons IMO, but I feel very differently about wanting to have children.

Your reasons are your own though, not going to proselytize, though you'd likely make a much better parent than most nowadays. This world will become like "Idiocracy"

13. patrickBOOTH

Well, I think there is this overwhelming thought that having kids is just something that you do. Another milestone that you are supposed to make. Well, it's not.

14. patrickBOOTH

I think if I was put in the position I would change and make a good parent, however I don't feel like I should subject myself to it just because of that.

15. MrG

MrG Senior member

Ah, yes, I loathe those people. Prior to having kids, MrsG and I were married for nearly seven years, and we got a lot of that type of pressure. My response was always something along the lines of, "we're just not ready right now, but I'm sure we will eventually," and it was shocking to me how often that wasn't a suitable answer for people. I always wanted to go, "I'm telling you that I would be a substandard parent right now so I'm avoiding children for the time being, and your reply is to tell me I should just do it anyway? WTF is wrong with you!?"

As a consequence of those experiences, I try very hard not to be one of those parents. I'm happy to tell people how much I love it, but I do my best not to become one of those people who tries to convince others that what's good for me is inherently good for them.

That does present a unique challenge - if everyone who isn't a good parent had decided not to have kids, would we be better or worse off? Basically, would there be a smaller, but "better," population?