Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Monday. ;__;

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

first day back at work in 11 days :(

not sure if i will make it through the day without shooting myself

:fu: x a bagillion

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

goddammit, issues are piling up again. Every time I think I've made progress, other things fall onto the heap. Now the main fridge is on the fritz, I made no progress on either car, and here we are into another week. Dammit. And I have a cold that has morphed into coughing up yellow gummy crap and a continuously-running nose. If I had half a brain I would have leaned into the swimming pool and refilled the fucker this weekend solely from my nasal drip, which would have avoided water rationing issues altogether (it's saltwater anyway, no one would know the difference).

Morning vignette. Son's looking for a towel and the morning is going downhill. He tells me to get him a towel now, and I snap. I tell him he "needs to watch his fucking words" (irony lovers, rejoice!) and that sets the rest of the morning on a distinct edge. Two more heated lectures about respect for adults and starting the new school year off right...before we're in the car. Such is the morning war of wills these days. My attitude towards him these days vaguely resembles the Roman attitudes towards Carthage c. 149 B.C.

(but Richard - I'm glad to hear about your mom and wish her a speedy recovery!)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Nothing is never good in the hood...

That will be your motto from now..

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yeesh. sorry T, thats rough. best of luck im sure things will turn a corner.

yeah thats about right. though at this point i dont want to work anywhere. i want to retire.

6. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Your son delanda est.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

T-bone, sorry to hear about the ongoing tensions there. As to car issues, part of why I lease. Never have a car out of warranty and always have a free service loaner. Really takes the stress out of life.

I have a two hour meeting scheduled today starting at 3p. It's with just three other people, but one guy is a complete case of Aspberger's so he will monologue at least an hour, meaning the meeting won't finish until 6p and only be half as productive as it could have been. Between the monologuing, inability to pick up social cues, and the perseveration on minutiae I will be ready to stick a knitting needle in his eye.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I googled Baltimore and it looks quite rough in general.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

thanks mang. they will - and to be honest, they have in some respects: this summer went better than last summer, which went better than the summer before. But as he grows he seems to seek out new ways to test our wills. Quite simply, if I can knock out 13 miles on foot in the August heat, I can certainly withstand his huffs and whines and half-assery as I put him to work for an hour at a go.

Heh, yeah. Well, parts of him must be destroyed, particularly since adolescence is not far down the road. So there's a new urgency to hammer him into shape. I'm certainly not out to squish him flat and then rain salt upon him - no matter how appealing that seems at times.

Valid point, but we drive some heinous mileage between work and school and kids - last year was roughly 20k miles on her car, and mine was a tad less. And, before the little one came around we had three cars in the rotation - but you can't put a baby seat in a 2-seater, which complicates things a bit. Anyway, school will come around soon and things will reshuffle. Maybe the temps might dip, too!

Oh, and good luck with your aspie! Can't you delegate that job, though: surely you have a subordinate who will jam a knitting needle into his thigh! I thought you were a big-timer.

10. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Too $hort might disagree.

Eh, different cash flow priorities. IIRC, T's car in question is like 12 y.o. and he probably hasn't had to make a payment on it in at least 7 years. That said, he's written quite a bit about said car in this thread and I wonder if the cash savings of not making a monthly payment could be offset by the amount of time/effort/frustration/expense of buying parts and making repairs.

I work with somebody who we believe has Aspberger's. He is aware of this and is okay with us having a little fun at his expense. As such, it leads to some very humorous exchanges from time to time.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Good memory (if a tad stalkerish!). But yeah, normally I think nothing of buying 3-5 years old and running it to about 150-180k on the odometer. There aren't many things I haven't done: brakes, clutches, axles, wheel bearings, and for some of the really hairy stuff (a/c) I have a friend who can handle the things I can't. Maybe I've just had a run of really good luck and this one was overdue. Eventually I'll get there, but in the meantime it's grating on me.

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Speaking of car problems...

My car is worth about $1000. Or rather, that's what I paid for it 7 years ago.

I had to get brakes fixed, that's like $495, IIRC.

Other stuff that needs to be fixed in the future is $535.

At least I got love from my SF peeps on Faceb--oh wait, no I don't.

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^^ replacing rotors and pads I take it?

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

So maybe you do have a social ill: stalkerism.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Nope: in general, pads run around $50 a set (for general baseline quality) - front or back. Even if you have all four wheels done, labor won't run $365 - it's a hour's work for a decent shop. that leaves rotors. If it were anything else (master cylinder, lines, etc) you wouldn't be putting it off.