• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is really prestigious, I think its the best in the world for what I was applying for which was business maths and stats, also if you get a 21 or 1st your pretty much guaranteed a job at one of the big 4 right out of uni so it is pretty good. Yeah with foreign student fees, accommodation and spending money its like $50k a year same as the states. I could go virginia universities for pretty cheap, but I don't know if any of them are good. Yeah waitrose will be ****, Ill be making like $11 an hour though, which is pretty good. I made **** loads from selling Tom Ford and RLPL, enough so that I haven't had to work for the last 3 years and still buy great clothes and go out and take trips whenever I wanted to so waitrose will be much worse, but its steady income. I think Ill just work all winter, do my retakes in january so that ill have my entire summer to travel and do what I want. Maybe try do a powerlifting meet when I get my total to the 1000lb range and do more BJJ. Year out shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottom two wisdom teeth out today. :fu:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Bottom two wisdom teeth out today. :fu:

I have to spend my third Saturday in a row at the dentist. It is not easy being half English... My dentist is also 2 hours from me. But he doesn't charge me and he is taking me to Peter Lugers tonight, so whatevz.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

50k a year ain't no joke. Thats ivy league in the states dawg.

And I don't particularly think British schools are viewed as more prestigious other than Oxford and Cambridge.

I mean I go to Cal Poly Slo, and while I'm sure its not prestigious as some of the schools Fuji has mentioned paying 20k a year makes me happy.

Ivy's are more expensive than 50k a year here in the states.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Feel tired as hell.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
the Ivy's are a tad more than 50K a year. But it's also over 4 years while I believe the UK schools are over 3 years.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I feel bad that I've not had anything to post about here in weeks. I stil don't.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the Ivy's are a tad more than 50K a year. But it's also over 4 years while I believe the UK schools are over 3 years.

keep in mind Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford (and other elite schools) are using their endowment to waive tuition. for H, IIRC, your fam's income was less than 150k you paid nothing, YPS was 250k.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

English universities are 3 years, Scottish universities are 4.

In England you don't really do any outside options and you are assumed to have more relevant knowledge because your A levels are quite focused. If you go to Scotland from an English school you can skip the first year (or from some Scottish schools) with decent grades, but you miss out the most fun year.

I have quite a few friends from Uni who are from the States, even with increased living costs (flying home etc.) and a harsh exchange rate it worked out cheaper for them than most options in the US would have been.

Fuji - sounds like you are getting yourself sorted. If you get serious about the BJJ why not a trip out to a Dojo somewhere? I have a friend who spent several months of a gap year training at a Gojuru Karate Dojo in Okinawa. He was pretty serious about it though - Spent a lot of time shoving his hands into bowls of hot sand and hitting cow carcasses with his fingertips. It sounded kind of horrific to me, but to each their own.

****. A bunch of FAO online publications I was using for my dissertation have just up and disappeared. The links I saved for them now lead nowhere.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Been feeling in a funk the last week.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oh wait. I was pissed off today on the drive to work. It rained last night and swarms of little bugs were everywhere. A perfectly fine morning and I did not want to open the sunroof on the Benz because of the bugs :(

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

keep in mind Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Stanford (and other elite schools) are using their endowment to waive tuition. for H, IIRC, your fam's income was less than 150k you paid nothing, YPS was 250k.

for Harvard, it's you pay nothing if your family's income is less than 60K, and then between 60K to 180K the expected contribution is 10% of income.

as far as I know, this is the most generous policy, but the others are still very good.

I'm looking at Cornell's, and it's the same 60K policy, and then they'll match the aid from all other Ivy's plus Stanford, MIT, and Duke.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Been feeling in a funk the last week.

sorry mang :(

_____

1. being back in the absolute shithole that is baltimore

2. dealing with morons from verizon on the phone and in the store all morning and getting nothing done

3. morons on the radio comparing scholarshiped black athletes in top colleges to plantation slaves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics