Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

2. ysc

ysc Senior member

Hey, it could be worse. It could be Tesco. Or Iceland.

Call LSE. I understand not wanting to, but emails never get you anywhere if you want help from someone.

Yeah, not going into clearing makes sense.

ABB is a fairly solid effort, you will find somewhere good. You might have to expand your search slightly further, but maybe not. If you are set on a London University UCL and Imperial both have maths departments and both are internationally respected, you might find the social life at UCL better than at LSE which is all eurotrash millionaires in $$$ clubs and geeks who do nothing but study. Kings College and Royal Holloway also do well, I am pretty sure they are both in the top 200 worldwide, but they are a step down from UCL/LSE/Imperial.

After you have called LSE and decided you really don't want your backup options take the next few days to celebrate. You might not have got quite the grades you wanted but you finished school with what are by most standards excellent grades and are enough to see you into a good University. You need to relax a bit and decompress. After that if it is still looking like a gap year is on the cards make some plans.

You don't want to have a year working minimum wage whilst applying to Universities in front of you. You will get bored and do stupid shit. Once people you know leave town for their Universities/Gap years you want a solid plan in place so you are not in a rut all year. Find somewhere that you can volunteer or intern for part of the year. What sort of things are you thinking about doing after University? This is a pretty good opportunity to try them out and whatever you end up doing some volunteering won't look bad on your CV. Friends of your parents might be able to help out, if not just calling people can work if you do a bit of research first, everyone likes free labour. NGOs/Charities particularly will take you on even if they don't have a formal internship scheme. I remember hearing about a government proposal to help young people get into internships, it might not have come to anything but it might be worth looking into.

Plan and book some travel. You need something to look forward to to make all the drudge work you will be doing at Waitrose bearable. It should be something big though, not just a week in the clubs somewhere sunny. If not travel you should look for something that is going to stretch you and challenge you.

I went to south America by myself speaking very little Spanish, I did volunteer conservation work and dogsbody work for various scientists and then backpacked around. I didn't find myself or any of that bullshit but I came back more self reliant, speaking almost fluent Spanish, certain I didn't want to be a field biologist, and almost two stone lighter from the shits I got from eating improperly cooked food in the jungle. I am certain I learned more then than I did doing my degree, and I was actually allowed to skip some modules of my degree due to the experience I gained. It was also the most fun I have ever had.
    You should find something that is similar for you - something that will forward you interests and challenge you. I can see maths is a little more abstract than biology, so you may not find something that fits that, but you must have other interests and ambitions. The point is to have something to look forward to during the shelf stacking, preferably something that is going to help you 'grow as a person' (awful phrase) and something you can point to on your CV to show you haven't wasted the year.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

3. fuji

fuji Senior member

I don't know what I would say on the phone, sorry I didn't get my grades, can I still have a place? I think I've just resigned myself to having a year out, I don't know if they'll do anything. I don't know how much I wanted to go to LSE my sisters there now for the same program I got my offer for and your right the only people she knows are very very rich kids from singapore or people who stay in all day and revise. I had offers from kings, UCL and LSE so ill probably apply to the same ones again, maybe add in bristol or Edinburgh. I could intern for an accountancy program, I think KPMG is still hiring and I want to go into accounting after uni anyway. I currently have about 50 quid to my name so no travel yet, after I make some money from working I might do. This is shit, the whole losing all your friends thing is fairly annoying.

4. ysc

ysc Senior member

Yeah, I have no idea. It is a tough one. I hate talking on the phone. Maybe frame the discussion along the lines of 'I didn't get my offer because x, but I am keen to come, what should I do, is there someone I can come in to talk to?' You don't have anything to lose by doing this. Even if they can't get you a place this time they might be able to give you advice regarding re-applying.

Are you sure that's the sort of thing you want to be doing then? or are you doing it because you are good at maths and your sister does it. Maybe it is right for you, but you should take the opportunity you have to think about it. If accountancy is where you are aiming you have a reasonable choice - I know people who did history, physics and even art history and are doing their accountancy training at big companies.

From what I have seen of the big accountancy companies most of their internships are aimed at people on their summer breaks from university no? I could be wrong, and you should be able to find something. Some of the big accountancy firms do have offices in Cambridge, I had friends who did accountancy internships there. You are thinking along the right lines. I managed to find something at a consulting firm through the dad of one of my little brother friends, someone I barely knew. If you show willing and enthusiasm people will go out of their way to help you out.
    Waitrose presumably has number crunchy people, perhaps after a month or so of (diligent) work there you could ask the manager if you could have a few weeks internship with them when you are done working for him? Waitroseis part of the John Lewis partnership which has extremely good benefits for its employees and generally treats them very well, so I would have thought they would be more willing to do something like that than a lot of places.

The loosing your friends bit is shit. I didn't plan enough on my gap year, it didn't occur to me that everyone was leaving, and I ended up damn bored for a bit whilst I was working. I ended up doing a mini tour of the country and visiting them all. I think I tried pretty much every student night out at every Russell league university.

Bristol and Edinburgh are both great Unis, I know a lot of people who went to them and all of them enjoyed themselves. I got into Edinburgh and regret not going (I went to St Andrews instead, a bit better academically, but a dull social life.) you should visit though, the weather is a lot bleaker than most of England's.

Yeah, £50 won't get you far. But make plans to make plans. Perhaps you can convince your parents to give you a loan for some of it so you can book something for after you have worked for a bit. I can't emphasise enough how important it is to make plans and to give yourself stuff to look forward to. Before now school will have given your life some kind of structure, now you have to do it yourself. I am not saying plan every detail. I hate planning and prefer to do things on the spur of the moment - when I go travelling I just book the ticket out and the first couple of nights accommodation, but if you don't make some plans you will end up bored, depressed and doing nothing.

5. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Correct. Especially with the big four firms, internships are designed for students on break their 2nd or 3rd year of university. Granted, I'm in the US but I don't see why the practice would be any different there, especially with same firms. Typically students do on campus interviews or get recommendations from professors, and often the internships lead directly into full-time positions.

Not sure about the other three, but I know Deloitte in particular even has summer mini 3 day workshops for students that are potentially even interested in the internship program. A friend was recommended by a professor for the workshop which lead to his internship.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Goddammit. There are a few things that are going really right for which I'm grateful, but then again there are just enough little things that are going just wrong enough that I'm in a perpetual simmer these days. And they're things I can probably fix (which of course means I have culpability in all this), but I'm too wrapped up in my own pissiness to give ground, and quite frankly I'm goddamn tired of giving ground and just going along to keep the peace. Prisoner of my own dissatisfaction. Goddammit.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

[​IMG]

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

back in b-more the shit hole ugh :cloud:

at least im not going back to work till monday

9. Jr Mouse

Goddamnit Pio.

10. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

jesus. just had an awful fucking night. really great to be reminded of who is and isn't your friends right infront of your face. jesus fucking christ. took a licking so hard i don't even want to drink.

11. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I dont know what happened but,that sounds very shitty. People you think are your friends who douche out on you is a real shit feeling :(

12. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

It isn't so much that but an honest assessment of my life is:

I have no discernible skills other than hanging out and posting to an internet forum
    I don't have the temperament or discipline to do the one thing I really want to do
    I am thoroughly unliked by the people I hang around and
    I don't have the social skills to get a new group anyway.

yay

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

Today sucked so hard. Goddammit.

14. Jr Mouse

Why?

15. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

It started when I lost $180 to Priceline by not reading some fine print. A bunch of little things have bothered me since then. I had to go to the grocery store twice. Burnt some bacon. A pair of jeans shrunk in the dryer. Got some paint on a shirt. Read the news. My dear mother is driving me crazy. Ugh.