• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My gf turns my life into slow motion. She needs 1,5 hours to shower, do her hair and make-up before we go shopping... every god damn day of the weekend. Choosing in the super market what she wants for dinner? 30 minutes. In the restaurant? 15 minutes to select her drink out of a list of 10 possibilities. She's so damn picky with everything and never really satisfied with anything.

How about 5 minutes to select a brand of bottled water at the convenience store, it's water for f'sake just choose the cheapest one. Or drink tap water like I do (although it could be radioactive I'm hoping it might give me a superpower).

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BLAAAARGHGHG .... ******* dissertation. So bored. It feels so pointless. It is taking me so long to get tiny sections of it done and I am running out of time.
Mostly pissed of with myself I suppose.

I feel your pain. I'm pissed off that I dont have some kind of debilitating disease or have not had a serious mental breakdown. It means I can't blame my laziness on anything but the fact that I'm a slothful sack of ****. I long for the peacful solitude of a private room in a nice psychiatric clinic, but knowing my luck they'd just prescribe some antidepressants and send me on my way. Damn you breakthroughs in drug therapy!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I feel your pain. I'm pissed off that I dont have some kind of debilitating disease or have not had a serious mental breakdown. It means I can't blame my laziness on anything but the fact that I'm a slothful sack of ****. I long for the peacful solitude of a private room in a nice psychiatric clinic, but knowing my luck they'd just prescribe some antidepressants and send me on my way. Damn you breakthroughs in drug therapy!

I promise you you don't want to go in a mental ward especially closed ones...:wow:

I have been visiting a friend in one and I couldn't get out quickly enough...

It was awful...

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I promise you you don't want to go in a mental ward especially closed ones...:wow:

I have been visiting a friend in one and I couldn't get out quickly enough...

It was awful...

Been there. Done that. 3 days. Never again.

John152

Reaction score

I swear each new version of Office is more aggravating than the last. 2010 breaks new boundaries in counter-intuitive design and general suckitude. Using Word is killing me today. I want one page landscape, the rest portrait. First I have to learn a new way of setting page orientation, the old one worked fine. I follow the instruction for rotating one page and it flips them all. It flips them all seemingly regardless of what I do. It has also shoved in a load of random page breaks for no reason I can see. I can't wait till the document is up to the whole ~ 100 page length to see what formatting high-jinks the programme can throw my way when I am not expecting it. I can't deal with this level of stress on a Saturday.

I want to head-butt my laptop.

You should check out LaTeX. You have to learn a new programming-type language, but it isn't really all that hard. LaTeX takes care of the formatting, etc., and makes documents that look a lot nicer than WYSIWYG word processors.

http://www.latex-project.org/

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your ... words of support? I got a few thousand words done today. Didn't drink much this evening and am sitting at home nice and early so I can start working at nine again tomorrow. I aim to get 4000 words in place before the end of the day.

You should check out LaTeX. You have to learn a new programming-type language, but it isn't really all that hard. LaTeX takes care of the formatting, etc., and makes documents that look a lot nicer than WYSIWYG word processors.

http://www.latex-project.org/

I had a quick look at it - it looks pretty interesting. I only have a few weeks for this and some of it is in collaboration with other people who use word, so now is not the time to learn how to use it, but I will give it a try when I am done with this.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your ... words of support? I got a few thousand words done today. Didn't drink much this evening and am sitting at home nice and early so I can start working at nine again tomorrow. I aim to get 4000 words in place before the end of the day.

I had a quick look at it - it looks pretty interesting. I only have a few weeks for this and some of it is in collaboration with other people who use word, so now is not the time to learn how to use it, but I will give it a try when I am done with this.

What do you use to manage your references? I just use the built in function in word but it sucks balls.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you use to manage your references? I just use the built in function in word but it sucks balls.

I have used EndNote in the past and found it was fine, you can download reference lists into it directly from web of knowledge. You switch on "cite while you write" and it drops things into your references list automatically as you cite them in the text. I am pretty sure the other major programme (I forget its name) can do exactly the same.
I tried one of the free open source ones for a bit (there is a list on wikipedia, although I don't remember which one I used) and it seemed fine, but it wasn't really compatible with what the people I was working with were using so I had to stop. If you are working by yourself and don't want to pay for endnote it might be worth looking into.
Reference managers really come into their own when you have to write a series of papers on the related topics/using the same references because it can take a little time to get all of the sources in it set up. I haven't tried the build in Word one. I am not surprised it sucks.

At the moment, because I am quite familiar with all the material I am referencing and because I have previous reference lists that cover a great deal of it (so I hope I can just stick them together), I am just using the "comment" function in word to 'attach' the relevant information to citations in the text and a folder full of pdfs. Then I am going to go through and compile it all in the references section. I am sure I am going to regret this when I get to 20,000 words of text and a couple of hundred references, but I have used it in the past for shorter essays and it worked out fine. My old laptop died part way though my dissertation and I haven't got anything more sophisticated set up yet on the new one.

Last edited:

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have used EndNote in the past and found it was fine, you can download reference lists into it directly from web of knowledge. You switch on "cite while you write" and it drops things into your references list automatically as you cite them in the text. I am pretty sure the other major programme (I forget its name) can do exactly the same.
I tried one of the free open source ones for a bit (there is a list on wikipedia, although I don't remember which one I used) and it seemed fine, but it wasn't really compatible with what the people I was working with were using so I had to stop. If you are working by yourself and don't want to pay for endnote it might be worth looking into.
Reference managers really come into their own when you have to write a series of papers on the related topics/using the same references because it can take a little time to get all of the sources in it set up. I haven't tried the build in Word one. I am not surprised it sucks.

At the moment, because I am quite familiar with all the material I am referencing and because I have previous reference lists that cover a great deal of it (so I hope I can just stick them together), I am just using the "comment" function in word to 'attach' the relevant information to citations in the text and a folder full of pdfs. Then I am going to go through and compile it all in the references section. I am sure I am going to regret this when I get to 20,000 words of text and a couple of hundred references, but I have used it in the past for shorter essays and it worked out fine. My old laptop died part way though my dissertation and I haven't got anything more sophisticated set up yet on the new one.

Cheers, I can get EndNote for free might give it a try. I just never bothered using it because I'm always afraid that things like this will take me longer to learn how to use than it would take to compile manually.

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lost my phone and house keys after a night out with friends. Also have a mysterious bruise on my face.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
A malfunctioning sensor on my alarm system caused a full-blown, sirens-screaming wake up call. At 5:15am. On a fuckin Sunday.

Before I could re-arm it, the system started triggering in a rapid-fire session, leading to a 45 minute tech-support call. At 5:22am.

Dammit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads