Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Well either you live in a massive sprawling mansion or you are doing something that takes a massive amount of power.

2. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

The house really isn't that large but there are a number of things causing the problem. It has averaged around $1k

3. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Well that's just awful dude. I get pissed if I pay 400 in utilities.

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just paid my electric bill for my small 1 bedroom condo. $350. Been cranking the A/C in the NYC heat.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

That 's quite hefty...

AC is very expensive to run.

We don't have that problem over here..

6. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

How hot does NYC get?

7. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, electricity rates are much higher here than in most places in the country because of the dense area and complexity of the system.

Too hot, extremely humid. We had some record highs this summer... so far. It also doesn't help with the blacktop and high buildings that just turn into ovens in the summer sun.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Damn. My tiny studio cost me $104 last month and I was like W T F.

9. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

I live in a freestanding house that was built in the 50s and probably last insulated in the 80s, the temperature has been in the 100s every day for the last month, and my bill is still under 200. I guess the mature trees in my yard are saving my ass.

10. patrickBOOTH

Yeah, but you can't compare rates in tx to NYC. The system is different and the political atmosphere and regulation of the industry is different here. It just pisses me off that about 1/3 of my $350 are taxes that go to the state and federal government and another 1/3 is for generation alone.

11. otc

otc Senior member

What does it come down to per kWh out there?

Here in chicago we hang around 8cents but we are nuked to the gills so base-demand power is dirt cheap. Keeping my place AC'd costs me a *lot* less than electric heat...but some of that is also due to a lower temperature differential and no need to keep the temp down during the day--even when it is blazing outside, if I shut the AC off, it won't get too hot (but if I kill the heat in the cold, my apartment gets cold enough that the electric heaters won't have it warm until after I have already gone to bed).

12. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Like hasn't been below 100*F since summer started? I just checked the weather and yall aren't supposed to break 90 this week. :lol:

edit- no hate bro.

13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Last week while working out at the gym I go to, I accidentally broke one of the glass windows near the workout area. Was working out and when I dropped the barbell it literally bounced three feet in the air to hit it. Put a huge crack in the thing. I talked to one of the staff and apologized. She said it shouldn't be a big deal and that the owner should have insurance that would cover it. Well, I saw the owner for the first time since it happened on Monday. After joking around a little, he told me that he didn't have a quote for the glass yet, but that "we will talk" when he did. So today he emailed me and said the cost was around $450 and to let him know what I can afford to cover.

I'm torn on this. It's a small gym and he's super personable guy. He's also not demanding any amount of money so much as asking me what I can afford to help out with. I feel really bad about the whole thing, but to be honest didn't think I was going to be asked to help cover things. I thought gyms typically have liability insurance to cover accidents like this? I can't imagine I am the first gym member to break something...

I'm going to go work out soon and will need to talk to him when I get there. :confused:

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this sucks.

i would think its a basic cost of business. things like that are expected to happen. regardless of insurance. and $450 is a relatively small amount of money for a business. not worth alienating customers and possibly getting a bad rep. honestly im surprised he even mentioned for you to pay anything at all.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The insurance will pay for that...

It s a small claim for them...

He ight try to recoup some of the money or he doesn't have a decent insurance or none at all..