1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I left town for two days, but I'm driving a topless jeep in 104 degree weather and thus can't bring my cat during the day. Instead I load up a large bowl with food, another with water, turn the AC to 73, clean and fill the litter box, and take off. I get back to a hungry, yowling cat, who's almost refused to eat because the food was in the wrong bowl (which was too small to hold 2 days worth of food). He would have eaten it if it had been on the floor, but because it was in a bowl, it had to be HIS bowl.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Just be friendly, polite, work hard. Can't be friends with everyone and they say avoid becoming friends with coworkers. Collegiality is the name of the game.

This is going to be the worst assignment ever.

3. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Started drinking coffee habitually ever since I began working. I can already tell this is going to turn into a dependence. :fu:

4. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

+1 on what ed said. I'm in a similar position as well, aside from the social gatherings that are organized by HR, I'm not really interested in going to bars with the people I work with and quite a few of them hit the bars frequently during the weekdays after work. Plus, I've developed a workout routine after work.

So it's definite something I put some thought into. I may come off as a snob, but at the same time everyone works in a different department (the only relation all of us have is that we started work at same time) so like you, I won't be working with them directly anytime soon.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

That's the plan. I hope that i'll be 'safe' as long as I do good work.

We all work in the same department, but the nature of our project work is that we get staffed as a team that consists of 1-2 Analysts (me), 1-2 management consultants, 1 director, 1 vp/svp.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

greenie - what ed said. make sure the higher ups are pleased with your work dont have any in work blowouts with anyone and you should be fine. as a manager its less important to me that my guys like each other than it is that they can work well together. if you can get along at least superficially youre ok. no one expects you all to be buddy buddy.

sorry bout the assignment ed :(

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I think I got harsh on my eldest acidkid last night.... she's having some issues with the second acidkid because, in all honesty, she is quite a handful. anyway we were in my room when no. 2 offered something to no.1 and no. 1 in a spiteful and terse manner said "NOOOOOoooo". now I never get tired of teaching my kids nicely about how they should treat each other, but when I heard that it lit a fuse and I spent a full 10 minutes telling no. 1 off. she's upset with me last night, which I really don't mind as long as I know what I'm doing is right, but the acidwife told me that no. 1 might take this the wrong way and blame no. 2. oh well.

8. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I have number 1 and 1 1/2 and they bloody fight 50% of the time...

9. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I hate that - my number one said about the older twin a few weeks ago that he didn't like her. she worships him, it was really heartbreaking.

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

^ ouch. that gotta hurt... good thing kids don't hold grudges like grown ups, z.

11. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

My new Lanvins are killing my tootsies but they look so nice and shiny.

12. ysc

ysc Senior member

Choosing a career/getting a job stuff. My Masters finishes in September, I should be applying for jobs but I am gripped by indecision. I have seen a few people in relevant industries and whilst they are interesting to talk to what I really need is someone to say you are perfect for Job X I know someone who could use you/you should apply for that.

13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Just came through there yesterday - would have to agree. I thought they upgraded it too fairly recently.

Agreed. Currently am going through pretty messed up jetlag having just passed through a total 25 hour flight. NEED SLEEP:fu:

That whole deal sucks. Sorry, man.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Just be friendly. You don't have to party with your co-workers. Plus at your levels (entry) it's not like they'll be cutting you out of any important decisions. However, do know that you do need to learn how to develop relationships in the work place. You don't have to be best buds with these people but you need learn to foster somewhat trusting professional relationships among your co-workers. Particularly in large a corporate environment.

Anyway mind enlightening us on why you aren't gelling with them?

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

for reelz. their ability to change gears and bounce back is unreal. i wonder at what age we lose that ability.