Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or just downright pissed, RIGHT NOW!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bergdorf Goodwill, Feb 7, 2007.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Rejected from my first choice job. Still unemployed. Graduating in two weeks. [​IMG]

2. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Rejected from my first choice job.

Still unemployed.

Graduating in two weeks.

[​IMG]

Sorry to hear this. Are you graduating with honours at least?

3. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

It's been a pretty lousy week.

Wednesday I woke up to find out our friends 6 year old son died from cancer the night before. He had been in treatment for the last 16 months and 3 weeks ago took a turn for the worse. It really hits home since he is the same age as my oldest daughter.

Today, my largest account, practically our only account, just told us they will not be doing business with us. This is through no fault of my own, as the account told my boss, but sucks nonetheless. I guess in light of my first paragraph who really cares.

My thoughts are with you and your friend's family. Truly tragic. I often wonder if I'd even be able to go on if something happened to my daughter. Hopefully it is just a torturous thought exercise that will never become a reality.

Also sorry about the serious work issue.

You know, this thread is really weird. For a while we'll joke around bitching about petty issues like spouses and busted toes and bad traffic or a pissy incident at work and then a post comes along like this and has a chilling effect. I don't really know what to say about it more than that... just reason to be thankful for what we do have I guess.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

You know, this thread is really weird. For a while we'll joke around bitching about petty issues like spouses and busted toes and bad traffic or a pissy incident at work and then a post comes along like this and has a chilling effect. I don't really know what to say about it more than that... just reason to be thankful for what we do have I guess.

i have had this thought many times as well

5. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

topcatny, my condolences.

i have had this thought many times as well

x2. I was all set to come in here and start bitching about having to go buy a lawnmower this weekend.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Sorry to hear these things, topcat. Life is just not good at times.

Just got an email from my brother. We had thought his cancer was battled down for a few years but his numbers are back up and he's going back on hormone therapy. Full body scan ordered but eff'ing wait time in Ontario = in five weeks and in London (two hour drive from his town). [​IMG] He's thinking about going to the cancer center in Michigan we paid to give him radiation last year and paying for it out of pocket to just get it done.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Sorry to hear that topcat and Peeb. [​IMG]

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Sorry to hear this. Are you graduating with honours at least?

No.. I have a good enough GPA that's landed me several interviews and I've done well on most of them to the point where I've been to many final-round interviews.. but I just keep getting rejected in the end. Rejection after rejection after rejection.. one can only take so many.

It's terrible because I'll meet the other final round applicants, and half of them are graduates from last year and two years before.. so not am I only competing with my year, but those from up to two years ago!

I feel so worthless.

Things to look forward to:
    - I have a final round interview coming up, though it's not with a position I'm terribly excited for. That being said, a job is a job and I'd be absolutely ecstatic if I were offered a position. I will try my best.
    - There are new job postings that I've looked at and am interested in, so I will be applying to those. Hopefully I will land some interviews and minimize my unemployment period.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Sorry to hear that topcat and Peeb. [​IMG]
    +1. Good luck to you both.

10. MrG

MrG Senior member

The cost of out of state tuition!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!! I live in NM where the 2 of the major universities are "not" ranked very well. One smaller university that is ranked well is hard to get into and is math and science oriented. I want to offer my kids opportunities to go elsewhere but ASU and UofA are ~$22K for tuition, $35K+ total. CU in Boulder, CO (my alma mater) is ~$33K for tuition alone or ~$48K+ total. I forgot to mention that NM tuition is covered by our Lottery Scholarship for "all" NM residents, making it even harder to swallow out of state costs. I did however agree to send my daughter to ASU as I feel like she deserves to have the opportunity being such a good kid. My son is thinking CU in a couple of years. So, those gigs could cost me ~$340K total + inflation assuming 4 yrs each. I am going to figure out how to have them establish residency so years 2-4 will be in-state. The governing financial aid doc (FAFSA) says we can afford to pay ~23% of our gross or ~31% of our net for college, so no chance for financial aid. My daughter also had a 3.25 GPA from one of the top HS in the SW and got NO merit scholarships, so were on our own. BASICALLY, THE WHOLE ISSUE OF HOW MUCH IT COST FOR EDUCATION IS RIDICULOUS! [​IMG]

1. Move to state where you'd like your children to attend college.
    2. Pay taxes in that state.
    3. Save money on tuition.

It's been a pretty lousy week.

Wednesday I woke up to find out our friends 6 year old son died from cancer the night before. He had been in treatment for the last 16 months and 3 weeks ago took a turn for the worse. It really hits home since he is the same age as my oldest daughter.

Today, my largest account, practically our only account, just told us they will not be doing business with us. This is through no fault of my own, as the account told my boss, but sucks nonetheless. I guess in light of my first paragraph who really cares.

Sorry to hear these things, topcat. Life is just not good at times.

Just got an email from my brother. We had thought his cancer was battled down for a few years but his numbers are back up and he's going back on hormone therapy. Full body scan ordered but eff'ing wait time in Ontario = in five weeks and in London (two hour drive from his town). [​IMG] He's thinking about going to the cancer center in Michigan we paid to give him radiation last year and paying for it out of pocket to just get it done.

Sorry to hear this stuff, guys. I hope your friends can find some peace, TC, and I hope an even better account comes along. Piob, I hope your brother can work something out and the news is good.

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

1. Move to state where you'd like your children to attend college.
    2. Pay taxes in that state.
    3. Save money on tuition.

4. Let your kids pay their own damn tuition.

12. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

4. Let your kids pay their own damn tuition.

Lol. What the freak. Don't all parents pay for their child's tuition, rent, and expenses?

13. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Lol. What the freak. Don't all parents pay for their child's tuition, rent, and expenses?
    Noap. I paid my own way through scholarships and some savings. I think I borrowed a little at the end, mostly for beer money. Mind you, back when I went I had tuition bills that were $250. Of course, once you added room and board and fees and books, it went up pretty sharply.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

[​IMG]

We've finally found the definition for "rich." Asking a question like this.

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

[​IMG]

We've finally found the definition for "rich." Asking a question like this.

Who needs a job when you have daddy's credit card?!