• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things that all better cothing items should not be made without.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll clarify my original statement - I don't think it's dumb or ostentatious to get working cuffs, but I don't think it's something that "all better clothing items should not be made without"

I'd certainly agree with you on that score. There are tons of RTW garments of quality out there without working button holes in the cuffs. They are far from 'required' in my mind.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

no, its like the cool kid telling the nerd that he is a nerd.
im sure they are, what type of penis your favorite?

moar like helen keller making fun of the kid with astigmatism.

today i have my Krone fountain pen with me with bleu azur J Herbin ink. My favorite is probably my montegrappa though.

always about the penor with you stitch.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do like working button holes on suit coats. As others have pointed out it does not signal bespoke (though at one time perhaps it did). I think it signals a well made jacket because the cuffs have to be finished with enough fabric to accommodate the holes and the lining has to be sewn to each side rather than just a "tube" down the middle (if that makes sense). I would equate it to hand stitching details. It means more time and effort was put into the whole enterprise.

Things like shirt pockets and vents are really personal preferences in my mind, and have no bearing on the quality of the garment.

LaymanX

Reaction score
Pants
- should always have the a split "V" waist back.

Any logical/rational reason for this?

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pants
Any logical/rational reason for this?

Supposedly it makes for easier alterations but let me say I would much rather buy pants that fit (and I've seen regular-waistband pants altered flawlessly) because on the record I profoundly despise the way that V looks at the back of the waist and I would never ever wear pants like that.

Frankly, the OP is a bunch of subjective crap parading as empirical truth in the proud tradition of Reevolving's threads. I disagree with half of it and don't care about the other half.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very classy bro. I was stating things in my opinion. As I said " certain things that I think...." Not "things that are....." But name calling always helps clear things up. Its the best way to disagree usually.

The split V makes the pants much more comfortable in my opinion when twisting your body or bending over. Its ads room for some extra movement, while allowing the pants to not be loose in the waist.

Last edited:

swiego

Reaction score
Thank you for making this post. Regardless of whether people agree with you on the specifics, I've been frustrated by how this forum admonishes the purchase of poor quality items yet has no real sticky post on what specific attributes to look for when trying to ascertain quality. Most people merely shrug and point to the brand name and/or price tag as their benchmark of quality. I think it would be a great asset to this forum if the OP is kept updated, perhaps to include both consenting and dissenting opinions on the specifics, then made into a sticky.

We need a post that contains, for each garment type, the "must haves" to identify quality design or construction, the "nice to haves" attributes and the "under debate" attributes. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont understand the hate for pockets on shirts. Dont you guys never have papers or stuff to put in your shirt pockets.

I once was wearing a shirt without any pockets at the airport and no jacket. I had no place tp put my boarding pass. I stuffed my passport in my trousers back pocket but my boarding pass would have been crumpled.

Next time I get some shirts made, I will get 2 pockets. They will also help protect my nips and keep them warm in the winters

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont understand the hate for pockets on shirts. Dont you guys never have papers or stuff to put in your shirt pockets.

I guess if you can pull it off

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no pockets exposes my nips too much

swiego

Reaction score
Undershirts can remedy that.

I think it would be best to say that shirt pockets are subjective / wearer's discretion and their presence or absence not a specific indicator of quality.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
edit

Last edited:

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay what the hell is wrong with the forum? I've edited my last post and it doesn't update what's in the thread, but if I try to edit it again I see in the preview exactly what I submitted that never showed up the last time.....

Very classy bro. I was stating things in my opinion. As I said " certain things that I think...." Not "things that are....." But name calling always helps clear things up. Its the best way to disagree usually.
The split V makes the pants much more comfortable in my opinion when twisting your body or bending over. Its ads room for some extra movement, while allowing the pants to not be loose in the waist.

1. There was no "name-calling" in my post -- I was describing the content of what was written, not its author -- so say what you mean to say and say it clearly.

2. Your point about the "split V mak[ing] the pants much more comfortable ... when twisting your body or bending over" simply doesn't make any sense. It's plainly wrong. It is the measurement of the waist, the shape of the legs and seat of the pants, and not some arbitrary ornamentation at the top of the waistband that determine fit. The V admittedly makes it easier to alter pants in order to achieve that fit, but if they fit from the get-go there is no reason to have that feature, and as I wrote in my first post I have seen pants without this feature altered flawlessly, so as far as I can see there is no need for it.

I do admit that my distaste for its appearance is entirely subjective, but I prefer a flat rear waistband that matches the belt I will likely wear around it.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a tailor so this is all just how I see it. If you bend forward you by definition put pressure, slight but pressure nonetheless, on the waist of the pants. That pressure is passed to the weakest part of the pants, the seam. The small **** of the V alleviates some of that pressure.

As to the appearance, on many of my pants the V is covered by a center belt loop so you can't even see it anyway.

As to name calling, when you say a post is crap, and that its a know it all post with no backing, it would seem to reflect on your feelings toward the poster. Maybe I was being to sensitive, wouldn't be the first time.

Anyhow point is we disagree, no big deal. :)

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pants
- should never have that metal tounge and hook closure, all buttons, all the time.

A button fly is good as well, NO zips.

I'm sure a lot of these kind of things are down to personal preferences though, like vents vs no vents, surgeon cuffs, shirt collar shapes, shirt pockets, ticket pockets, etc. rather than if clothing is regarded as better or not.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads