• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things I've learned in the 3 months since joining SF

bjornb17

Reaction score
So I joined SF about 3 months ago, and it has made a huge difference in the way I dress. Here are the basics of what I learned!

1) Flat front pants are generally better than pleated.
2) Pants that are too long or any clothing that is too baggy is a horrible look.
3) Polyester anything = avoid like the plague

But the most important thing I learned is that it is best to focus on dressing well first and then focus on being 'stylish' second.

Since taking these things into account, I've received quite a few compliments on my dress (whereas previously people never said anything), and wearing well-fitting clothes makes me look a whole lot thinner, and I feel a whole lot more comfortable. I've had to spend quite a bit of money on the wardrobe upgrade, but I think it is completely worth it.

What would you guys say are other major, basic things that one would learn here?

zerg8888

Reaction score
My shoe wardrobe has certainly improved since I began lurking here a couple of months ago. Also the importance of fit. I'll be seeing a tailor for the first time this week.

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
The differences (and how to spot) between half-canvased, full-canvased, and fused coats and suits (aka, the finer points of recognizing quality); how to tell if a shoe has a welted shoe or glued shoe (which can still be tricky if you cannot recognize brand names synonymous with quality); and reaffirmation of my opinion that "designer" does not equate to style or taste.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
So I joined SF about 3 months ago, and it has made a huge difference in the way I dress. Here are the basics of what I learned!

1) Flat front pants are generally better than pleated.
2) Pants that are too long or any clothing that is too baggy is a horrible look.
3) Polyester anything = avoid like the plague

But the most important thing I learned is that it is best to focus on dressing well first and then focus on being 'stylish' second.

Since taking these things into account, I've received quite a few compliments on my dress (whereas previously people never said anything), and wearing well-fitting clothes makes me look a whole lot thinner, and I feel a whole lot more comfortable. I've had to spend quite a bit of money on the wardrobe upgrade, but I think it is completely worth it.

What would you guys say are other major, basic things that one would learn here?

Single pleat pants are the best of both worlds!
devil.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

inter71

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I've had to spend quite a bit of money on the wardrobe upgrade, but I think it is completely worth it.

I have also spent quite a bit of money on my wardrobe upgrade and still keep spending. In my case also several people expressed their appreciation towards my appearance and several days ago one of a ladies in my graduate program stated that I look "so intelligently". It does not mean I looked dummy before. But it is really interesting to explore how being well dressed changes others' perception of me. And I definitely appreciate the fact that I discovered the world of high quality English shoes. I have already purchased several pairs and plan to buy more.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
There are some things I will not understand, and that's the attitude against synthetics or in fact, anything not antiquated. The same goes for a lot of things, such as watches, for example -- the crowd here seems to push forth automatic watches when we've technologies that will sync your watch with an atomic clock. Or consider hand-sewn vs. machine sewn -- a customized machine sewn piece of work will be much superior than something hand sewn, imperfections and what not.

I mean, I love SF, and the differences while fascinating, are not something I can relate to.

It gets really simple when you analyze who's buying these "antiquated" products. Using your examples

Automatic watches: high-rollers, ballerz, posers
Handsewn, bespoke items: high-rollers, CEO's, money money
100% natural fibers: over-informed SF member
laugh.gif

Imperfections worship aka "Poetry": over-informed SF member and a successful sales pitch

In general people who wants to stand out from the crowd and have the means to do so(money), will undoubtedly choose these items.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. In some ways, this is right up HoldFast's take on "stealth wealth". Some things, even if they are indeed affordable, aren't what I can relate to (e.g. automatic watches or "imperfect" and "hand sewn" pocket squares). However, you still have the Bill Cintons of the world who wear digital watches, which is a saving grace.
wink.gif

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I learned that my next suit should be Good-year welted.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went from wearing Jcrew and converse chuck tailors to wearing Sartorio and crockett and jones / vass

Nuff said, really. I couldn't even tie a tie a year ago....now i'm trying to learn italian to proxy myself e.g. capelli regimentals!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads