• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thin, Edgier looking Suit?

Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I realize that this is a somewhat common topic, but I wasn't able to find quite the answer I was looking for by searching.

I am a fairly small person, about 5'8-5'9, 130 pounds, a 26-28 inch waist. I've recently started a professional sales job in the marketing/graphics/advertising field. I'm trying to find some suits that are very thin, and somewhat edgier or more modern looking.

I have a few suits to get by with for now, but they are dreadfully large. The best fitting suit I ever got I found in a thrift store, and may actually be a women's coat. (It says size 16 on the label, not sure what that means). I included some photos of what this suit looks like on me. It's in pretty poor shape though, and is nothing I could actually wear on the job. It's more the style that I'm looking for though.

I honestly know very little about fashion. When I'm on my own, I dress like a punk. I like my clothes thin and black, and would like to be able to carry this part of my image over into a more professional style if possible. Please share whatever advice you may have regarding finding suits that fit what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much,
-Chris

 

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Joined
May 27, 2008
Messages
12,838
Reaction score
5,050
Budget? Thick as Thieves might be your best bet: http://www.thickasthievesla.com/ I've been thinking about picking up a black slim fit suit myself, and TaT aside, the options for RTW include, but are not limited to: Banana Republic Monogram line; H&M; Brooks Brothers Black Fleece (by Thom Browne); Thom Browne; Dior Homme; Prada; Ralph Lauren Black Label. Prices range from about $200 for H&M (I think?) to several thousand for Thom Browne. Tinker around with the search function, there's literally hundreds of posts and dozens of threads on this subject.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
First of all, welcome to SF.

Second of all, that is women's clothing. Stop wearing it.

Third, you're not being very clear on what you're looking for or what you need or where you are or what your price range is, but since you thrift, I'm going to assume that you're not looking to spend a lot. So I'll reiterate the advice that I feel is all over this forum the past few days: Go to H&M or Zara or even Target and grab one of their suits. Make sure it fits. It will be slim cut, fashiony and not particularly well-made. But it will do. It will be cheap and, if you buy one that fits you and have the sleeves shortened to the correct length, you'll look ok. The sleeves on that woman's coat are too short, btw.
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by grimslade
First of all, welcome to SF.

Second of all, that is women's clothing. Stop wearing it.

Third, you're not being very clear on what you're looking for or what you need or where you are or what your price range is, but since you thrift, I'm going to assume that you're not looking to spend a lot. So I'll reiterate the advice that I feel is all over this forum the past few days: Go to H&M or Zara or even Target and grab one of their suits. Make sure it fits. It will be slim cut, fashiony and not particularly well-made. But it will do. It will be cheap and, if you buy one that fits you and have the sleeves shortened to the correct length, you'll look ok. The sleeves on that woman's coat are too short, btw.


Thank you for the welcome. I realized that the suit is probably a women's suit. I don't wear it in professional settings. I wear it similarly to how I am in the photo, with black jeans and a band t-shirt. In other words, situations that aren't important.

In terms of not being clear on what I'm looking for, I'm not sure how much more specific I can be. I mentioned that I'm looking for a slim, black, more modern looking suit, that will be used in a professional setting, but in creative fields (marketing, graphic design, advertising). I also mentioned that I'm between 5'8 and 5'9, 130 lbs, and a 26-28 waist. If by "where you are" you mean what city, I live and work in Chicago. My budget is probably not very high compared to many of the people on this board, but I'd be willing to spend up to a few hundred dollars. (To someone fresh out of college, this is a LOT of money).

I've not tried H+M or Zara, but will try. I don't think I'd find much at Target through. The few suits I have (besides the thrift store suit pictured) I got at Sears for very little money, but had to tailor them in drastically, and they still look baggy.
 

dinted voice

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
930
Reaction score
26
H and M and Zara are good but not the best quality. I have a linen suit that is going into its 2nd season from H and M. My advice is to go Thick as Thieves as the quality is light years above H and M. Personally, I would go with a charcoal or navy to start with instead of the black. The slimness of the suit will be edgy enough. You could also do 1 button or even peak lapels if you wanted to get "edgier" while still looking professional. Also Jason is great to work with and he is a forum member.
 

Talbina

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Ditto to H&M and ZARA. Exactly what you're looking for. Check out Zara first.
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by dinted voice
H and M and Zara are good but not the best quality. I have a linen suit that is going into its 2nd season from H and M. My advice is to go Thick as Thieves as the quality is light years above H and M. Personally, I would go with a charcoal or navy to start with instead of the black. The slimness of the suit will be edgy enough. You could also do 1 button or even peak lapels if you wanted to get "edgier" while still looking professional. Also Jason is great to work with and he is a forum member.

I'm sure that Thick as Thieves suits are nice, I'm just a little wary about ordering something like this online, especially considering I'm so worried about the fit. I realize that's the whole point of getting it custom made, but I'm still a little nervous, especially if I messed the measurements up.

I could deal with charcoal, but I could never wear a navy suit. I don't even wear blue jeans. It's just not my personality. I realize that more fashion conscious people than myself may feel like I'm making a mistake or limiting my choices, but it's just who I am.
 

Talbina

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Oscillate Wildly
I'm sure that Thick as Thieves suits are nice, I'm just a little wary about ordering something like this online, especially considering I'm so worried about the fit. I realize that's the whole point of getting it custom made, but I'm still a little nervous, especially if I messed the measurements up.

I could deal with charcoal, but I could never wear a navy suit. I don't even wear blue jeans. It's just not my personality. I realize that more fashion conscious people than myself may feel like I'm making a mistake or limiting my choices, but it's just who I am.


Maybe you have a misconception about the type of navy we are talking about? Not dark blue...i found some suits a while ago at Zara that were very dark navy. Almost black.
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Talbina
Maybe you have a misconception about the type of navy we are talking about? Not dark blue...i found some suits a while ago at Zara that were very dark navy. Almost black.

Possibly. I'm pretty sure I know what you mean though, and I really wouldn't want to wear it.

I could do black, charcoal, pinstripes, but wouldn't really like any kind of blue.

Here are a few pictures of the kind of look I'm hoping for. Maybe this will give a better idea. I'm sure that to many people here they'll think this is stupid looking, but rather than giving advice as to what I "should wear" instead, please give advice as to where I could get something that looks like these in a small size for my body.

Thank you for your help,
-Chris




 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
You want to be Alkaline Trio. You're not.

Get past that before you look for clothes unless you and your buds want to dress up as them for Halloween.
 
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by why
You want to be Alkaline Trio. You're not.

Get past that before you look for clothes unless you and your buds want to dress up as them for Halloween.


Yeah, that's true. I don't see why one can't admire a look and wish to emulate it though. Unless you design your own clothes, I'm sure that you've purchased ones similar to models or actors. I prefer the style of some musicians. I don't understand the problem.
 

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
12
Check out my interview thread. Go to H&M, that suit was 100 bucks. I am the same exact height as you. Too bad I had to return it because it wasn't conservative for interview wear...
 

quevola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
10
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Check out my interview thread. Go to H&M, that suit was 100 bucks. I am the same exact height as you. Too bad I had to return it because it wasn't conservative for interview wear...

+1

Coincidentally, I picked up a slim-fit, three-piece poly, gray pinstripe suit at H&M today. Total was $107 with tax. My fifth such suit from H&M.
 

Narciso

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
150
Reaction score
0
I feel where you're coming from. I can't bring myself to buy suits online. I know that online retailers can be reliable, but I just have to see the fit and the material before I can bring myself to buy anything.

My cousin got an H&M suit and it's fine for the price. If you want to save money, it's a good choice. If you're willing to go up in price a bit Brooks Brothers is a good bet, though I don't know how modern of a look you'd get with them. Personally, I'd go with charcoal or charcoal pinstripes, black's less versatile. But hey, if you find a black suit and it gives you the look you want, by all means get it. The right fit is what will give you the edge, not the color.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 52 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,054
Messages
9,228,372
Members
193,707
Latest member
mdrndsnlvr
Top