• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Dress Shirt - Skin Shows Through

jtang

Reaction score
I seem to have a dilemma I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I have several dress shirts which are made out of rather thin fabric and the color of my skin can be clearly seen through them. I've thought about wearing undershirts but wearing a V-neck would make the collar of the undershirt extremely obvious and wearing a crew neck would show the collar at the neckline (I don't wear ties for work.)

1. Is it acceptable in a workplace to have shirts so see-through and
2. Can you give me any recommendations on undershirt colors/styles? I've thought about gray but I think that would still show through the shirts.

Happydayz

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the crew neck being visible at the neckline.

sm332

Reaction score
between those two problems ... the crew neck showing is the lesser of the two evils

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO: If you don't wear a tie and don't wear a jacket, then you are already some kind of naked!

Usually men wear jackets. They are buttoned while standing and unbottoned while sitting. There is not much skin to see.

Tug

Reaction score
Hi jtang,

Undershirts, my favorite topic
smile.gif

Answers to your questions:

1. Yes, it's perfectly acceptable to wear a nice see-through dress shirts to work. But in my opinion, it's more acceptable when wearing an undershirt with it.
2. If you're looking for undershirt options, check out my undershirt review blog. When wearing a nice dress shirt, I'd recommend wearing a crewneck undershirt, not a v-neck nor a tank. Not only will a crewneck undershirt look nice, it will also protect your nice dress shirt from getting stained in the underarm area due to sweating. There's lots of options when it comes to choosing the right undershirt. I'd recommend staying with a lighter color undershirt (like white) if you're wearing lighter color dress shirts. If you're sporting a colored dress shirt, you might want to try matching it with the same colored undershirt. Since it sounds like a pretty nice dress shirt, I'd recommend trying a light weight fitted or tailored cut undershirt. There's several affordable ones to choose from and I list most of the undershirt brands on my blog.

Hope the information above helps you out!

Tug
undershirtguy.com

huy

Reaction score
Yup, wear a crew neck. No one wants to see your nipples.

kiLLscaLLion

Reaction score
The thing with undershirts is that you can clearly see its sleeves through the dress shirt, which really takes away from the look of the dress shirt.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiLLscaLLion
The thing with undershirts is that you can clearly see its sleeves through the dress shirt, which really takes away from the look of the dress shirt.

Try wearing an undershirt that matches your skin tone. They may be more difficult to find at the store but they look much better than any other color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads