Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

^^ yea actually I'm going to have some s/s type fabrics in lightweight wool in light colors (really pale grey, tan) as well as some cotton/lycra fabric that I think is really cool esp since the slight stretch will make it very comfortable to wear

I'm sold. (not like you had to convince me, I'm up to 3 suits as it is!)

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

jason, just wondering, but do you get a lot of orders outside of sf? i think if you expand to coats and such too, you would def gain a lot more customers...the sweaters you are doing are a great start in expanding the line

obviously SF is a big part of my base, but I do sell to guys outside of SF

Any expansion is going to be small and baby steps...esp on items like the knits where it's not "made to order" and I have to carry an overhead. The sweaters in particular are a good seller to non-SFers

3. water

water Senior member

An overcoat would be great. Something like that double-breasted overcoat that yfyf wears in a lot of his WAYWN entries would be very nice.

4. quix20

quix20 Active Member

Thought I might post here instead as my PM might have slipped Jason's notice.

Was interested in getting a or two suits from Thick As Thieves.

I think you've mentioned there's an option of providing cloth for the suit jacket interior lining.

Just wondering length would be needed?

Also, I'm in Melbourne, Australia - how much would a suit range from?

Cheers!

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Just wondering length would be needed?

Also, I'm in Melbourne, Australia - how much would a suit range from?

Cheers!

3 meters to be safe. Price starts at $450 shipped to Oz

6. Asch

Asch Senior member

The overcoat route is the one I will probably be more inclined to do, since I'm not personally a fan of the peacoat, but it prolly wouldnt be difficult to add a peacoat after the overcoat is finalized
    An overcoat would be great too. Good ones that aren't way too fat and long tend to be pretty expensive (just like good-quality suits that fit).

7. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

^^ yea actually I'm going to have some s/s type fabrics in lightweight wool in light colors (really pale grey, tan) as well as some cotton/lycra fabric that I think is really cool esp since the slight stretch will make it very comfortable to wear

This is wonderful news. The lack of lightweight wool (7-8oz) in your current selection is one thing holding me back from purchasing. The stretch material would also be a wonderful addition.

8. surfer123

surfer123 Member

Hi Jason,

My PM may have slipped by as well, but I was interested in getting 1 or 2 suits and I live in LA. Could I stop by and get fitted? thanks

9. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

Do you have any plans to get more pinstriped fabric?

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part but a red pinstripe suit would be so badass.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^^ I don't carry a lot of pinstripe because I rarely get any interest in it.

Los Angeles magazine was nice enough to do a small writeup on Thick as Thieves in the latest (february) issue on page 132 & 133!! Needless to say, I was stoked and surprised the editor even heard of me.

[​IMG]

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

That's awesome Jason!

Too bad about the lack of demand for pinstripe, I think they're really cool. I just started working again (I'm only 19) but I'll definitely be picking up a suit from you this year; I've only got one right now, and it's linen.

12. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

Sweet, congratulations Jason! I'm glad I got my order in before the inevitable rush that follows good publicity.

When I first glanced at that post I thought for a moment that TAT had unexpectedly veered into the pink underwear arena. Clearly it's late and I'm tired if the thought of bespoke tighties doesn't sound that strange to me....

13. Lel

Lel Senior member

I recieved my suit yesterday and it's nearly perfect. As in it's something as I would expect from a professional tailor and something that would cost me 1-2K easily. I'm blown away by the sharp tailoring and how well it suits my frame. I'll have pictures and a full review up later.

14. Lel

Lel Senior member

[​IMG]

Firstly I must say that Jason is a God among men. He was very helpful during the e-mails, answered all of my questions quickly, and the delivery was fast! It was shipped out on the 26th and I recieved it the 28th. Which is amazing considering I placed the order on the 12th I believe?

Secondly, the suit fits perfectly. The shoulders I were worried about, because I was quite sloppy about the back and how I measured them. But no, they are fine. The best part, actually. The waist is very supressed, just like I asked, and looks absolutely gorgeous buttoned or unbuttoned, giving it a nice versatility. The sleeves are simply spot on. They may look a little short in that perfectly posed correct posture position, but trust me in a normal stance they are just peeking out it is perfect. The pants are perfect, no/extremely slight break and tapered down near the end.

Thirdly, this is my first suit ever, but it will not be my last. Too long I have been to stores like Macys and went in away in disgust when the smallest they have is a 36/38, and I am clearly a 34. Disgusted by the low slung arm holes, the huge baggy sleeves and unflattering pants. This is the first suit I have ever owned and I am proud to own it.

Fourthly, the fit is near perfect. As in this is something I would expect from a professional tailor as if I actually went in and consulted them. Hell, this is something I'd expect bespoke almost. I have very, very, very slight nit picks. Nit picks as in, I am wholey satisfied with the suit and will never have an issue with the fit, but as in it is not perfect.

1.) The pants are a little too tight. I told Jason to have them be relaxed and thank god I did! But I am just unaccustomed to pants that actually fit, since most RTW dress pants hang like sacks of fabric. They are flattering and in no way bad, just smaller than I expected. This is not bad, just something I noticed. Still, very amazing.

2.) Now this is just extreme nitpicking. Maybe armholes slightly higher and chest slightly smaller. Now I don't even know why I am posting these "nit picks" because they are probably my fault. The fit is actually spot on, as you can tell. In fact, these nit picks are only things I would expect that a fully experienced bespoke tailor would catch by the 3rd or 4th suit.

Overall, I am blown away. I have gotten so many compliments already. I would have never ever thought that I would get a suit that is not only my size, but also my style. Short, slim, and supressed. All this for less than $500!? This is insane. Something like this is something I would have expcted to pay $1500 for at least, and probably a MTM program at a huge store/brand or maybe even bespoke. But over the internet!? Seriously? I will be buying more suits from Jason once I actually get a paying job. Seriously, to have a suit that fits me and is affordable is nothing less than a dream come true.

Now, off to find a leather jacket that won't break the bank but still looks flattering on my tiny frame...

15. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

lel - looks great! i'll have to watch out in seattle for a skinny guy dressed up in a TAT suit!

the only "major" gripe i had about mine was in how the sleeve was attached and its final angle/positioning. it didn't fall really naturally on my arms, but i guess that's something only a bespoke suit could fix.

and one question - did you choose less rounded quarters, or are those the default ones?