• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to placing an order in a couple months from now.

Clark

Reaction score
Any chance for a three piece in the future?

/C

Vidi

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while, and just got an account. I'm a little embarrassed by the "Posts: 1" that will be hanging to the left of this
smile.gif

I'm looking to order one of your suits, GS, probably one that's made up slightly more conservatively, as a few folks have talked about having done. It's only my second suit, so I'd like something that I can wear to the symphony without drawing too much attention. How do people feel about a 2 or 2 roll 3 jacket with non-hacking pockets, but keeping the ticket pocket? Should I omit the ticket pocket as well if I want to wear it to the symphony or theater occasionally? I appreciate any advice people have, as I'm still trying to get my feet under me here. I'm 6'2" and thin, FYI.

Also, will things be changing enough with the new site layout that I should wait for it before coming to any decisions, GS?

Confucius

Reaction score
I think your frame suits the TaT styling. I wore my suit to work for the first time yesterday and was complimented on it. All I did was remove the ticket pocket and ask for more width in the legs to make it (slightly) more conservative.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 6'2, you might want to consider adding an additional inch or two to the length, so that way you still keep the short jacket style, but not so short that it looks like you've outgrown it/wearing your little brother's jacket. Since you're thin, I suggest keeping the narrow legs of the trousers (but just to make sure, measure an existing pair that you like just to make sure you're comfortable with the thigh-knee-hem sizes). Keep the ticket pocket - where else are you going to put your symphony ticket?!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Peak lapels would look really smart on the jacket.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vidi
I'm looking to order one of your suits, GS, probably one that's made up slightly more conservatively, as a few folks have talked about having done. It's only my second suit, so I'd like something that I can wear to the symphony without drawing too much attention. How do people feel about a 2 or 2 roll 3 jacket with non-hacking pockets, but keeping the ticket pocket? Should I omit the ticket pocket as well if I want to wear it to the symphony or theater occasionally? I appreciate any advice people have, as I'm still trying to get my feet under me here. I'm 6'2" and thin, FYI.

Also, will things be changing enough with the new site layout that I should wait for it before coming to any decisions, GS?

-the 2/3 button jacket has horizontal pockets by default (unless you want angled pockets)

-I'd keep the ticket pocket. I think folks over-do the conservative bit, as features like this arent extreme in any way nor are they eyebrow raising

-adding an inch to the jacket length would be a good option

-I'm giving my friend the files for revised site today so hopefully it'll be online within the next week. There are some changes and additions but nothing specifically relevant to your requests

PM me if you want specific help in ordering

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
FWIW, I've worn my TaT suit to the symphony and felt very easy in the knowledge that I was better-dressed than most of the other people there (though some of the older guys can dress like whoa). Unless you're *playing* in the symphony, it's not a place where people are going to demand particularly conservative attire. If anything, it's a place where people peacock a little bit.

At any rate, if you live in any city in the US, showing up in a suit at all gets you points--most of the guys there are going to be in ill-fitting khakis with a buttonfront shirt and a blazer at least one size too big, at best.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
got lots of navy swatches in the mail today and there's some good ones, a nice midnight blue (almost appears black), a good normal conservative navy, and a nice textured weave "interesting" navy for social outings

Gonna go thru them and pick some out and have them on the revised site, which will be up hopefully end of next week (as opposed to early next week as originally planned)

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GS, do you have an example of what your charcoal looks like? that'd be the suit fabric i'd be most interested in. is it a really dark charcoal almost like black, or a light, closer to grey one?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
GS, do you have an example of what your charcoal looks like? that'd be the suit fabric i'd be most interested in. is it a really dark charcoal almost like black, or a light, closer to grey one?

on a scale of 1-10 (10 being black, 1 being white, 5 being med grey)...I'd call it an 8.75...so closer to black

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
got lots of navy swatches in the mail today and there's some good ones, a nice midnight blue (almost appears black), a good normal conservative navy, and a nice textured weave "interesting" navy for social outings Gonna go thru them and pick some out and have them on the revised site, which will be up hopefully end of next week (as opposed to early next week as originally planned)
I'd really be interested in getting a navy blazer from you in the textured weave. Brass buttons available, or would I have to send my own?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'd prefer it if you provided your own since I don't have any, and prevent unwanted surprises

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interested in these new navy swatches. I still have the greyish-blue windowpane in mind for the next order, but I'd like to see what else is coming up so I don't end up saying "doh, I should have gone with.... "

These new fabrics... are they made in Spain, or still in England? What's the word on any differences in quality? Have any been through the GS Mod Night Dance Off test yet?

Also, any plans for a more summer-friendly fabric? Say, a tan linen/cotton suit, similar to the one posted in the MC forum a day or two ago? With global warming and all that jazz, it's only time before linen suits become part of the new mod dress code.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
These new fabrics... are they made in Spain, or still in England? What's the word on any differences in quality? Have any been through the GS Mod Night Dance Off test yet?

Also, any plans for a more summer-friendly fabric? Say, a tan linen/cotton suit, similar to the one posted in the MC forum a day or two ago? With global warming and all that jazz, it's only time before linen suits become part of the new mod dress code.

Most of the fabrics are English, I do have some I'm uploading that are 130s Spanish that I really like a lot. They're in the pinstripe family but most of the ones I've picked are subtle and the base color fabric has interesting texture to it. They cost a bit more ($40 extra) since these fabrics are a bit more expensive, but they are quite nice with a good soft hand.

Yea I put my twill pattern tweed into Mod Nite Dance off last weekend. It's a great fabric, one of my fave new ones, it's really soft and has a great drape and doesnt feel like a tweed at all. It's not gonna be a hardwearing fabric so I wouldnt recommend it for a weekly wear but otherwise it's the bees knees.

Summer friendly fabrics....not at this point. Personally, I don't think cotton is a good summer fabric. It ends up feeling hotter than a lite 9oz wool. As for linen, I HATE linen suits so that's something you'll never see from me. If it gets *that* hot then wearing a suit is probably gonna be the last thing you want to do
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads