Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

sounds like you looked appropriate for an interview, which is a smarter way to dress than taking a chance and being dressed down. at least you'll have stood out to the interviewer, hopefully for the positive

but wow, it really is getting to the point where the only time you'd wear a suit is because you want to, out socially. seems like every workplace is going uber casual, even in the law field, and suits are only dusted off once in a blue moon

2. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

sounds like you looked appropriate for an interview, which is a smarter way to dress than taking a chance and being dressed down. at least you'll have stood out to the interviewer, hopefully for the positive

Hope so as well. I was joking a little about the sartorial suicide bit - you can't go wrong with dressing conservatively. Anyplace that deducts marks because I'm wearing a suit to an interview is not a healthy environment IMO. I've seen some of my former classmates wear horrible interview outfits (one guy I recall looked like a 70s flashback with aviator shades, trench coat, double breasted mustard suit w/ yellow shirt and brown tie).

I don't know what the situation is like in the US, but in Canada, specifically the public sector, it's anything goes. Suits, even ties and dress shirts are frowned upon. Untuck that shirt, ditch the tie, and don't even think of wearing a jacket.

I know I raised a question months ago in the MC forum regarding the appropriateness of dressing up in an office where everybody else dresses down, and the reactions were mixed. It's tough to dress for the job you want, not the job you have when the guy at the top is wearing a polo and dockers.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I hear ya, I think that's why it's important to develop a "smart casual" look that doesnt go against the herd and be overdressed, but still maintains some sort of individual style that won't make you "that guy that's always wearing a suit".

I suppose this harkens back to the Brummel quote discussed in MC...in today's context, that quote about being well dressed meaning not having a second look at you, means developing a smart casual look so that John Bull around you won't look at you twice (as he would if you wore a suit)

If the guy in the job I wanted wore polo's and dockers, I'd be wearing my Italian knit Fred Perry polo sweaters and a nice pair of trews with a stellar, yet understated by the masses, pair of shoes every day. TBH, that beats wearing a conservative (aka boring) suit/tie/shirt combo that most guys in middle management type positions have to wear.

4. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Im glad someone got your suit and used it for an interview and its on the thread. Some guy on SUFU was looking for an interview suit that is of good quality under 500 dollars. I told him that he should talk to you and linked the thread and website. But some asshole on there keeps on insisting theres no possible way that you can wear it to an inverview since the suit is cut short even though its MTM and not OTR and you can lengthen the suit....

5. hollaforadolla

hollaforadolla Senior member

Im glad someone got your suit and used it for an interview and its on the thread. Some guy on SUFU was looking for an interview suit that is of good quality under 500 dollars. I told him that he should talk to you and linked the thread and website. But some asshole on there keeps on insisting theres no possible way that you can wear it to an inverview since the suit is cut short even though its MTM and not OTR and you can lengthen the suit....

please keep sufu fights in sufu...

6. jackassery

jackassery Active Member

Hmm I'm planning on using my TaT suit for coming interviews and hopefully work. Its a bit more fashiony than maybe the BR suit my peers with be wearing and although I was concerned it wasn't business enough my fears disappeared the first time I wore it. Better yet it looks like its mine and not something I found in my dad's closet.

PS. The first time I wore it I found it to be a bit stiff but on the subsequent wearings its become much more wearable. I'm figuring this is whats supposed to happen?

7. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

jackassery: Canvassed interlining gets better with wear, albeit seeming stiff at first. [​IMG]

8. kai-wun

kai-wun Active Member

I was, by far, the best dressed guy at prom =) And it wasn't even my prom... [​IMG]

9. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

That suit looks excellent on you. Props for the '50s-skinny tie.

10. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Kai-wun, that's a fantastic fit on the jacket. Perfect length, too... though I have to tilt my head to see it. [​IMG]

11. evilgeniusdan

evilgeniusdan Senior member

Suit looks great Kai.

12. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Question on suit lengths.... On the site it says "length (collar base to hem)". I'm not 100% sure what this means. Does it mean including the length of the collar (i.e the back of the jacket measured to the top of the collar), which would add another 1.5" or so, or excluding it?

Also, how much can the length be altered? Do you just drop the hem of the jacket or does everything adjust accordingly (i.e. pockets, button stance, etc. moves down)?

13. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

I was, by far, the best dressed guy at prom =) And it wasn't even my prom...

That looks really sharp. I'm itching to make an order.

14. gqreader239

gqreader239 Senior member

http://leatherjacketsandjeans.blogspot.com/
    Great suit Kai, very stylish and clean. but smile next time!! [​IMG] you look like a million bucks, you should feel that way also.

15. vvoc

vvoc Senior member

great fit....whats the length of the blazer? whats the length of the sleeves? lapel width? got any more pictures?