1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. swooc

swooc Senior member

yeah it was the energy sticker haha. plus he wrote cheers earlier.

2. Easter

Easter Well-Known Member

For those of you in Canada who have ordered a suit, did you have any trouble at all with customs?

3. JTA

JTA Senior member

Hi guys, So I just got my TaT suit yesterday.. The fabric is 8 oz dark grey kid mohair blend. But I felt that the fit is not right on me... so I need some critics and comments from you guys [​IMG] here are the pics: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I feel that the thigh and chest is too wide; sleeves too short; and the length is too long.. what do you think?? I may need to take it to my tailor.. hehe.. cheers!
    Just my 2 cents. Coat: - sleeves are too short (any extra fabrics to let out? if not, no remedy) - length is too short but if you like cropped style than it is fine - waist can be taken in slightly (to create slimmer/hourglass effect) Trousers: - too long (perhaps rather than taken in, cuffing the hem will give additional weight thus it may drapes nicer considering the fabric is lightweight) - seats and thigh can be adjusted slightly

4. 630

630 Well-Known Member

finally got my suit in the mail last week and wanted to provide some feedback--

Jason is great. I'll be honest and say the suit was really delayed and took about 2 months due to a back log of orders. I wasn't going crazy over getting it immediately, but would check in once a week or so to get a status check after the 4 week time frame. He was very responsive and accommodating, offered some incentives for the wait and offered to help reimburse any tailor costs. Would recommend him 5 stars to anybody based on my experience with his service.

As for the suit, I measured meticulously to get it right. I had 2 people measure and then my tailor confirm them. The product came out damn near perfect despite my awkward body type in relation to suits (drop). I have a slight notch in the edge of the shoulders (a wee bit too small?) but that is the only issue with the suit at all. It's a navy traditional with 2 buttons and widened lapels. Pants slimmed down to 7.5 inch opening (flat) at the bottom. Will post a picture if I get around to it.

Anyway, spectacular service and great product. Will order again in the future. I probably sound like a broken record given all of the other positive reviews, but doesn't hurt right?

5. loreley

loreley Senior member

Jason, if you are reading this... I placed and completed checkout of my order Nov. 2nd. Are we still looking at a 4 week (give or take) timeframe or more like 2 months like the previous poster? Thanks!

6. monroeclark

monroeclark New Member

Hey Guys -

Just received my first TAT suit and am unsure what to think of the results. I for sure have to get some alterations and would love to hear your opinions as to what is needed. I know that I have to get the waist taken in a bit but am unsure what to do with the jacket. I feel as though it is a little long in the back and needs some taking in as well. Thanks for your thoughts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. loreley

loreley Senior member

conservative cut yea? looks pretty spot on as far as jacket length. you could take in the waist a bit to give the jacket a bit more shape. and personally I think the trousers are slightly too long, but its not too bad. press it and it'll look much better.

8. loreley

loreley Senior member

^^ and that tie is far tooo wide for that suit, even with the wider lapels IMO

9. muffintop

muffintop Active Member

Hey Guys -

Just received my first TAT suit and am unsure what to think of the results. I for sure have to get some alterations and would love to hear your opinions as to what is needed. I know that I have to get the waist taken in a bit but am unsure what to do with the jacket. I feel as though it is a little long in the back and needs some taking in as well. Thanks for your thoughts.

Out of curiosity, which fabric did you get?

You might consider bringing up the sleeves 1/2-1 inch

If you did get the conservative cut, I think the length is ok as it ends right around where your fingers would curl up. It would probably be easier to see the fit of the overall fit if you had pictures with the jacket buttoned up.

10. monroeclark

monroeclark New Member

Out of curiosity, which fabric did you get?

You might consider bringing up the sleeves 1/2-1 inch

If you did get the conservative cut, I think the length is ok as it ends right around where your fingers would curl up. It would probably be easier to see the fit of the overall fit if you had pictures with the jacket buttoned up.

It's the medium-grey sharksin and, yes, the conservative cut. The suit itself just feels a little baggy on me. I have to take the waist in the pants in about an inch definitely so maybe that will help me become more excited over the suit. I think there was a little bit of miscommunication and lack of information on my behalf before ordering the suit. I work in a law firm and wanted something that could transition well fomr the office to a social gathering but didn't specifically request the conservative cut as my office is not stodgy at all and fairly modern. I think with a few alterations it should be good though. Thanks for the input.

11. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

i don't want to weigh in too much on the suit--it's great in lots of ways--but just mention that indeed, that tie is too wide for it.

12. monroeclark

monroeclark New Member

Thanks for the tip. I never noticed how wide my ties were until I actually saw that picture. I took the suit to the tailor today and they are going to take it in a few places. I will post pictures of the finished product once I receive it.

13. gatorboy

gatorboy New Member

Hello all, First post, but I've been lurking for a few months. It took awhile, but I actually read this entire monster thread before ordering my first TaT suit! It came in, but I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is. I can't seem to raise my arms without the jacket pulling on my back and biceps. At first I thought the chest might be too small. But actually, it feels fine when I'm relaxed and my arms are at my side. It's only tight when I raise my arms. I suspect the armholes are too low. You can barely see it (in the first picture), but the armhole attaches almost halfway down to my elbow.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. loreley

loreley Senior member

Hello all,

First post, but I've been lurking for a few months. It took awhile, but I actually read this entire monster thread before ordering my first TaT suit!

It came in, but I'm having trouble figuring out what the problem is. I can't seem to raise my arms without the jacket pulling on my back and biceps. At first I thought the chest might be too small. But actually, it feels fine when I'm relaxed and my arms are at my side. It's only tight when I raise my arms. I suspect the armholes are too low. You can barely see it (in the first picture), but the armhole attaches almost halfway down to my elbow.

you are probably right about the armholes a little high... sorry to say that you just might not have the proper physique for this kind of cut? You look somewhat built from the pictures you posted.

15. blahgspot

blahgspot Well-Known Member

you are probably right about the armholes a little high... sorry to say that you just might not have the proper physique for this kind of cut? You look somewhat built from the pictures you posted.

What a ludicrous thing to say! A MTM suit, no matter what body type it is made for, will look right assuming that the measurements are adjusted so that the wearer is comfortable and mobile in the suit. What do you think: that anyone who isn't rail thin should wear a zoot suit? Nonsense. On bigger guys, I think it always looks better to wear a suit that has as little excess as possible. None of this billowing fabric hanging off of a bigger guy.

My advice for the OP is that the arms definitely need a little work. A bit longer, maybe even a bit more on the biceps for it to be more comfortable. It looks normal for it to pull up a little when raising your arms. It is a suit, after all, not a tracksuit. The profile from the side looks good to me. I am wondering if it needs to be a bit narrower in the body, but it is hard to say for sure just from pictures.

16. loreley

loreley Senior member

What a ludicrous thing to say! A MTM suit, no matter what body type it is made for, will look right assuming that the measurements are adjusted so that the wearer is comfortable and mobile in the suit. What do you think: that anyone who isn't rail thin should wear a zoot suit? Nonsense. On bigger guys, I think it always looks better to wear a suit that has as little excess as possible. None of this billowing fabric hanging off of a bigger guy.

My advice for the OP is that the arms definitely need a little work. A bit longer, maybe even a bit more on the biceps for it to be more comfortable. It looks normal for it to pull up a little when raising your arms. It is a suit, after all, not a tracksuit. The profile from the side looks good to me. I am wondering if it needs to be a bit narrower in the body, but it is hard to say for sure just from pictures.

I agree on most points. But still we are talking MTM here not bespoke. There are certain aspects of the suit that you are leaving up to the designer (like the arm holes for example). I am not suggesting the OP wear a billowy suit of course not. But from the pictures it just feels like the suit is wearing him as opposed to the other way around. Jus my 2 cents

17. gatorboy

gatorboy New Member

After some online research, I'm pretty convinced that the problem with the suit is the armholes. The arms attach too low in the armpit, causing the jacket to pull from the attachment point whenever I move my arms. This isn't something that can be fixed with alterations is it? Do I just have to live with it? I mean, I wasn't expecting tracksuit, but I can't even, say, bring up my arms to drink a cup of coffee without it feeling like it's gonna rip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. eatbiscuits

eatbiscuits Member

these suits look amazing..

19. cascade

cascade New Member

Dear all, I've been in the market for a Navy suit. I'm semi-experienced with suits, having bought a off the rack brand name in the past as well as gone bespoke. Just my observations here. I was intrigued with the rave reviews here on TaT. What I gather from TaT is that TaT produces a certain "style" - a slimmer, looks as if it's slightly shrunk in the wash look. That's fine and okay because that's probably trendy at the moment. Some of these suits look great as well. However alot depends if you're after that 'look'. Me personally, I work in the conservative banking/finance arena so 'classical business suits' are the only real option long term. So something that's too slim will be well detected by my experienced peers, and might make you look a bit outlandish. Mind you, some of the TaT photos on here are a little too slim for my liking, but then again, some people want that 'look'. So slim that it looks a bit Coco Chanel feminine. A slim style would look okay out on the street, but if you're working close to management and closer (higher) up to the boardroom, you might stand out a bit, especially if it's too slim and the pants are too high. When I mean 'classical business suit' I mean something like this: [​IMG] [​IMG] A lot more conservative, and a bit larger around the body plus longer draping, yes I know, but classical never goes out of style 20 years on. However I can see the value proposition of TaT, very good price point, tailored and fully canvassed as well (hopefully it is, some of you might give it a pinch just below the bottom of the 2nd button to see if there is a third lining that pops up on pinch). On analysis however, I feel that the fabric quality isn't as great ... but that's just my observation. As they seem to wrinkle easy, are quite thin and don't drape as well. Well to my eye anyways. Also I guess the slim look is trendy these days. For someone who's skinny, it will make you look more ... gentle and slim I guess. [​IMG] Nonetheless, I might think about just getting a dress jacket from TaT, as they suit (non pun) really well for that purpose . they are my observations and thoughts anyways. Congrats with the suits.

20. loreley

loreley Senior member

On analysis however, I feel that the fabric quality isn't as great ... but that's just my observation. As they seem to wrinkle easy, are quite thin and don't drape as well. Well to my eye anyways.

Also I guess the slim look is trendy these days. For someone who's skinny, it will make you look more ... gentle and slim I guess. [​IMG]

No offense intended, but some of us aren't fat. It's more flattering to play up to your strengths than try to pretend to be something you aren't.

And also, keep in mind most of these pictures are the suit straight out of the box with little to no alterations done, as most posters are looking for input before doing so.