Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. korce

korce Senior member

Well that is a three button suit. They of course lack the peak lapels and single button closure of the more common 'house cut' and are inherently more conservative and business-like as a result.

There are two house cuts, or even three - the two listed on the website are one button, and three button, either with the option of peak or notch lapels (with pockets matched accordingly). There is also a house cut two button that you can see pics of on the blog, but is not on the website.

The house cut really refers to the slimness of the jacket and lapels, and length of the jacket (ie shorter). It is offered on any type of suit TaT makes (one, two, or three button, and soon DB!) Conservative cut could be applied to any of the above suit combinations (except maybe the DB), for example, many people choose to widen the lapel or lengthen the jacket slightly - though it seems people who are most happy are those who have gone with the house cut.

Am I right Jason?

2. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

basically it's this:

House cut
    -slimmer lapels (2" on size 34-40, 2.25-2.5 on 42+)
    -jacket length ends about an inch or so below level of sleeves
    -tigher fit thru the body
    -more taper on trouser so the leg is slimmer

Conservative cut
    -lapels wider (2.5-2.75 on size 34-40)
    -jacket has more allowance thru body
    -jacket length longer and closer to "normal" but still a tad shorter than the MC idea of normal length (about 1 - 1.5" longer than house cut)
    -trouser leg opening about .5" wider than house cut, so leg feels more relaxed
    -trouser pockets made with side slant pockets instead of frogmouth
    -option for ticket pocket to be traditional and non-overlapping (or removed)

the DB will only be avail in a house cut, in terms of jacket length and lapel size etc. Trouser details can be adjusted more conservatively but the jacket wont be as democratic

3. winston

winston Senior member

There are two house cuts, or even three - the two listed on the website are one button, and three button, either with the option of peak or notch lapels (with pockets matched accordingly). There is also a house cut two button that you can see pics of on the blog, but is not on the website.

The house cut really refers to the slimness of the jacket and lapels, and length of the jacket (ie shorter). It is offered on any type of suit TaT makes (one, two, or three button, and soon DB!) Conservative cut could be applied to any of the above suit combinations (except maybe the DB), for example, many people choose to widen the lapel or lengthen the jacket slightly - though it seems people who are most happy are those who have gone with the house cut.

Am I right Jason?

Point taken, and I don't want to sound like I thought the 'house cut' was all in the peak lapels and single button, but the three button is going to be more fit for conservative business attire no matter how slim and short it is (within reason). Slim fitting suits with narrow lapels aren't necessarily too fashiony, IMO. The suit length in the photos looks pretty normal to me.

4. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

from a recent wedding...

[​IMG]

5. korce

korce Senior member

^ What fabric is that? Charcoal flannel? (haha I know its B&W....)
    Fit looks good.

6. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Slightly Better pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brissyboy,

I think it's just that the conservative cut fits a bit fuller than I expected in the chest.

7. gamblor

gamblor Senior member

embowafa,

Fit looks good, does the lapel roll all the way over the top button?

Would you mind sharing tie details? I'm looking for a slim 'wedding tie' just like that one but can't seem to find one.

8. djs488

djs488 Senior member

embowafa, fit looks fantastic. love the tie too. These recent pictures look much better than the other ones for some reason. Nice suit!

9. smithsj

smithsj Well-Known Member

Just got my suit today and I'm very happy with the fabric and construction of the suit. I'll definitely be going with the house cut on the next suit as I find the conservative cut too full for my liking. Everything else fits perfect though and I'm very happy with my experience w/ TaT!

10. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

^ What fabric is that? Charcoal flannel? (haha I know its B&W....)
    Fit looks good.

Thanks!! The B&W doesn't help, but it's a wool navy blue suit.

embowafa,

Fit looks good, does the lapel roll all the way over the top button?

Would you mind sharing tie details? I'm looking for a slim 'wedding tie' just like that one but can't seem to find one.

Thanks!

The lapel does roll all the way, I believe. This picture was taken after a lot of walking around/mingling, and a few G&T's, so I wasn't totally put together. [​IMG]

As for the tie, it's a brown and cream colored glen plaid (PoW?, not sure) tie from Ralph Lauren Black Label. I was so lucky to get it for a steal on ebay for $35! If you're near a RL store, I think they still carry them...maybe not the brown and cream, but definitely black and white.

embowafa, fit looks fantastic. love the tie too. These recent pictures look much better than the other ones for some reason. Nice suit!

Thanks! I agree...GS's suits have been damn near spot on as of late. I am the lucky recipients of one of them! Can't wait to get another.

11. Yuppie Scum

Yuppie Scum Member

from a recent wedding...

Not to derail the thread, but I'd like to know what brand of sunglasses are those?

12. tighty88

tighty88 Well-Known Member

from a recent wedding...

[​IMG]

You just radiate 50s/early 60s class easily in this pic. May I ask what tie you're wearing?

13. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Not to derail the thread, but I'd like to know what brand of sunglasses are those?

The brand is Modern Amusement. I got them as a gift a few years ago from my girlfriend...they reminded me of the Wayfarers, but fit me a lot better than the actual Ray Bans.

Not sure if this is the EXACT model, but they have it listed on their website...

https://modernamusement.3dcartstores..._p_14-112.html

You just radiate 50s/early 60s class easily in this pic. May I ask what tie you're wearing?

Thank you, sir!! It's a brown/cream glen plain tie from Ralph Lauren Black Label.

14. brissyboy

brissyboy Senior member

JL thanks for that, suit looks good in those new pics

15. Smahatma

Smahatma Senior member

The ever ubiquitous charcoal 2B, house cut, 2.5" lapel. Measured the sleeves a little too short and I think on the next one I might ask for slightly more waist suppression too. Slight pants waist measurement mishap, but jason is taking care of that one....service has been phenomenal.

[​IMG]