1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Thick as Thieves ONLINE

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Get Smart, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

should have a prototype done this month for the skinny sack. It's gonna be a 3 roll 2 lapel stance with the buttoning position about 1" higher than my current 3 button, so it can easily be made into a 2 button by not adding that top button/hole and still have the button stance balance be correct. I think *that's* going to be my 2 button model.

I have some mohair fabric samples that I really like, the fabric's a bit more expensive and would add about $75 to the total price. It isn't an option yet but it might be down the road.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1 on the coolified sack suit. Will you post a pic when you've got a prototype? Cheers

3. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

A 3-roll-2? *watches world end* But seriously, that's cool. I hope there's plans to make a regular jacket in that buttoning style... [​IMG] Though I guess if I asked you to make a higher rise trouser that would be asking too much, eh? To clarify, it's not so much the style as the fact that it looks off on my body type. I have a really long torso.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So is it still a sack in that it lacks darts and waist suppression?

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

So is it still a sack in that it lacks darts and waist suppression?

The jacket will be dartless on the front. The back will not have a center seam, but be a single panel. Double 6" vents.

It will have a bit of a waist, by having the sides taken in a tad.

I'm not even sure the term "sack" is appropriate since it will have some shape, but technically it is since it's undarted.

It will also not have any shoulder pads, just canvassing that goes up through the body into the shoulder area for some support. It won't be a "true" natural shoulder, as far as the football shaped sloping shirt-sleeve type shoulder, but it will be a softer unpadded shoulder.

It's a 3 roll 2 because it's more 'traditional' that way (and the button stance makes it easy to just be a 2 button). It's going to be more of a 'regular' jacket....horizontal flap pockets, no ticket pocket, slightly wider lapel (just shy of 3").

I should have something to show mid month, since I want to roadtest the skinnysack at the Vegas Hi Rollers mod scooter rally at end of Feb.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

A 3-roll-2? *watches world end*

But seriously, that's cool. I hope there's plans to make a regular jacket in that buttoning style... [​IMG] Though I guess if I asked you to make a higher rise trouser that would be asking too much, eh? To clarify, it's not so much the style as the fact that it looks off on my body type. I have a really long torso.

AFAIK trouser rise is something that you can change if you order MTM.

Anyway, Jason, that sounds really cool. The image I got in my head from your description is very nice.

7. sonick

sonick Senior member

Daaamn... i've pretty much got a $400 cheque with Jason name on it postdated for a few semesters for when I graduate and will be in need of another suit... Can't wait till then.

If TaT continues with suits of this quality at this pricepoint in the next few years, in addition to shirts at Jantzen prices (and possibly accessories as well; ties, etc.?), I have a feeling my entire semi-formal wardrobe will be TaT as I can never find decent fitting suits/shirts at these price locally; not to mention the QUALITY of them.

[​IMG]

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Thanks sonick....still looking for good shirtings that'll keep the price in the under $80 range. I got some great fabric samples in but the pricepoint would be more like $175 which is higher than I want. But the fabrics are pretty hella nice (2x2 100 seaisland cotton)

BrianSD should get his suit today and he can give you his opinion, which hopefully will be on the positive side *fingers crossed*. I've had quite a few orders from fellas that arent regular posters, Brian is definitely the most high profile SFer that took the plunge. I've also made quite a few pieces for fellas in UK and Scandinavia, who I had contact thru the mod scene, as well as local boys that don't post on these forums. So far everyone that's gotten one has really dug theirs. I'm sure there are quite a few waiting for an opinion of Brian's validity. I'm also really curious to see what he thinks too!!

9. The Grapist

The Grapist Senior member

BrianSD should get his suit today and he can give you his opinion, which hopefully will be on the positive side *fingers crossed*.

Hope that we get an update soon. [​IMG] I'm just waiting for Brian to eat the berries before I go and grab some for myself, so to speak.

I assume we should PM you if we want to place an order?

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I assume we should PM you if we want to place an order?

yea, I'm finding that a short conversation by email/PM works pretty good to clarify any questions that inevitably come up. It's making me rethink the order page on the website, and maybe keep it on a "contact first-then sale" only basis so that you don't feel like you're just plugging in some numbers, sending money, and hoping for the best.

11. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

Wow, I'm not sure how I missed this. Congrats, Get Smart. Most of my discretionary income is currently being consumed by my quest to finish getting my arms sleeved with vintage and vintage-inspired Americana tattoos by July, but as soon as that particular windmill is knocked over, I suspect I'll be ordering.

12. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Huh... could you really do that? I'm actually warming up to the full top pockets, and the rise is the only thing keeping me from taking the plunge on a full suit.

13. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I did receive my Thick as Thieves suit today.

It's really great. More than I expected in terms of quality as well (not to discount Jason's efforts at all, just from a $400 price point consideration). All the details are there, fully canvassed, pick-stitching. I love the fit. The only possible complaint is that the pants are actually tighter than I expected them to be. Maybe I've gained a couple pounds. Oops.

I'll post pictures another time, but I have a really bad flu right now and my excitement could only get me so far as to try it on.

I could see myself having at least 3 suits from Thick as Thieves.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

right on Brian, cool! The trousers should have enough to let out an inch or so if you need to let it out a tad. If that doesnt work PM me and we'll sort it out to where it's good in the hood.

15. jackassery

jackassery Active Member

So when the 2 button come out do you guys think it would be good for a first business suit? I'm graduating with an econ degree in June and need one for interviews and such and would like to get a good suit to start. Its either that or get a 50% off banana republic suit (I work at banana and they give a pretty good discount).

Thanks-
    Jamaal

16. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

imo the 2 button that I'm working on (or the 3 roll 2 depending on preference) would make a good work-environment suit. It's details aren't as aggressive as the other models and would easily fit into a more conservative environment without raising eyebrows. I'll have pics by mid month of a prototype (which will be a 3 roll 2 but looks like a 2 button since the lapel roll hides the top button). You'll get a better price on a banana suit with your discount, but just depends what yer looking for.

17. jackassery

jackassery Active Member

Haha I know I'd get an awesome price on the banana suit but that doesn't mean I want one. Most likely I'd get both a TaT and some banana suits. The problem with me is that I'm ridiculously thin and BR suits are made for uhhh normal sized americans.

Jamaal

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Haha I know I'd get an awesome price on the banana suit but that doesn't mean I want one. Most likely I'd get both a TaT and some banana suits. The problem with me is that I'm ridiculously thin and BR suits are made for uhhh normal sized americans.

Jamaal

The fit between a BR suit and a TAT suit is like night and day. The TAT suit has really nice drape. BR suits fit like cardboard boxes, unfortunately.

19. TheOneTrueMatt

TheOneTrueMatt Well-Known Member

The fit between a BR suit and a TAT suit is like night and day. The TAT suit has really nice drape. BR suits fit like cardboard boxes, unfortunately.

So when are you posting pics? [​IMG]

20. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

So when are you posting pics?

I'll post pictures another time, but I have a really bad flu right now and my excitement could only get me so far as to try it on.

Patience, grasshopper....