• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thick and wirey hair

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
The title says it all. Are there any shampoos or conditioners anyone recommends for someone with my hair type? Any advice in general? My hair's longish right now as some of you have seen from my pictures. I'm hoping the solution won't cost an arm and leg. Thanks.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're asking for a solution without outlining your problem.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I already did. As the title says, I have thick and wirey hair.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Rejoice in your thick and wiry hair.

Someday it will be less plentiful, and then the words 'thick' and 'wiry' will not come to mind about your hair, unless you're looking at old photos.

Until then I can recommend products that focus on control/smoothing:

Currently use:
KMS hair stay (stiff gel product)
Redken smoothing shampoo at the moment - also good.
Vive Pro smoothing conditioner (Revlon?) is very nice for the $$$

Also, Matrix has a smoothing line packaged in bright orange tubes - those worked well for me.
Tigi Control Freak shampoo and conditioner work well

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Thanks, Thomas. I dunno if I could go back to gel, though. I currently use wax or Got2b's "Shagged Out" which is aimed towards long hair.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
bored.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I actually ended up taking your advice. Here's me off to work today.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use a shampoo without Sodium Laureth Sulfate. The Jojoba Oil conditioner made my hair much less wirey. Taking fish oil has also made my hair softer and shinier. I'm still trying to get my hair to grow back 100%, I wish I had time to worry about my lush head of hair
smile.gif

Has your hair always been wirey?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
For the most part, yes. I take fish oil dietary supplement almost every day, for the record. Thanks for the advice.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Mayonaise is correct. The super skinny serum by paul mitchell works pretty well. You definitely don't want gel. That serum named, or a nice leave in conditioner(redken has some good stuff is what you need). Just put a very small amount into your hand, run it through your hair, and let it air dry. I definitely need that stuff as my hair is really thick and sometimes curly. The humidity in florida makes it frizz up pretty bad if i don't.

mayonaise

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Mayonaise is correct. The super skinny serum by paul mitchell works pretty well. You definitely don't want gel. That serum named, or a nice leave in conditioner(redken has some good stuff is what you need). Just put a very small amount into your hand, run it through your hair, and let it air dry. I definitely need that stuff as my hair is really thick and sometimes curly. The humidity in florida makes it frizz up pretty bad if i don't.
I figured for semi short hair the serum might be hard to portion so I recommended the conditioner, which does a great job by itself. The redken line for smoothing is called "all soft" I believe.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Well my hair is already halfway down my neck, and I plan growing it even longer.

Thanks again for the suggestions so far, guys. I'll have to put these on my list and compare prices and stuff next time I shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads