• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They Sewed My Collar Stays In

houserichichi

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to have sewn in collar stays cut out and a makeshift pocket for the removable variety. Specifically my two shirts today are Jantzen if that makes any sort of difference as far as collar construction. Thanks!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
If your shirts are Jantzen, then you must have had the option of making them removable...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes you could but i dont think it would look to nice also more trouble that i think its worth, i would just leave them and order more shirts and make sure they dont f-up!

Jolly Green

Reaction score
Good question. I was wondering the same. One of several *small* mistakes that Jantzen has made on my shirts.

Cheers,
D

houserichichi

Reaction score
I most definitely ordered the shirts with the stays as removable so it's nothing more than a simple error on their part. Beyond that, these two shirts would have been spot on...shame, after 9 attempts and 10 shirts I'm still waiting for that one perfect garment. At least I now know how to achieve it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
"They Sewed My Collar Stays in"

Sounds like the title of a sartorial film noir!

[deleted so no one steals my movie ideas]

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by houserichichi
after 9 attempts and 10 shirts I'm still waiting for that one perfect garment.

eek.gif

Jolly Green

Reaction score
After 3 seperate orders I also have yet to get one exactly as ordered.

All but the first are very wearable. Definately better than anything OTR. Especially in my weird size.

examples:
-I've never recieved the removable colar stays that I've requested.
-Gussets were removed from the last shirt I ordered (even though I requested them.
-Cuff size has been increased on the incorrect wrist on all my shirts.
-Won't go into the customer service problems again.

Still a great value. I would make sure you keep your measurements and especially specifications and send them in each time.

Shirtmaven has my shirts waiting for me. I just have to find time to get back up to NYC to try them on and pick them up. Can't wait.

Cheers,
D

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're a great value if you got exactly what you ordered. Otherwise you compromised, you know.

I'm not dissing Jantzen, I'll be placing an order soon myself but let's not paper over the fact that you paid for something that you didn't get. That's always made me leery of Jantzen.

RicoItaliano

Reaction score
A few years ago I was in a shop in Florida "Dickards?" and they had removable gold collar stays, can't seem to find them anywhere. Anyone have ideas as to where I can find them.

houserichichi

Reaction score
My personal problems with the shirts are partly my own mistake, partly theirs. I've had this recent bout of sewn in collar stays, on my first shirt I wrote "big chest and big belly" of which I am apparently neither, I wrote my wrist as being larger than it actually is for my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th shirts, and I have one beautiful french cuff shirt with a "hard" interlining in the collar and none in the cuffs which I found odd, and actually I only noticed today when I wore one of my new sewn-in stays shirts that one has a gusset triangle and the other doesn't. Most of the mistakes are mine, but now that I finally have the personal specs down to perfection I just wish that the particulars had matched up to my own expectations.

At any rate, I'm still happy enough with the shirts to not throw a fit over them and was actually pleasantly surprised with the sizing this time around (cheers to me).

Same token, now that I think about it, it is possible for a tailor (local) to shrink down my wrist size? I have an 18cm wrist and those four shirts mentioned above with big wrist syndrom were ordered at 42cm. No, I won't take a picture. Thankfully Ricky isn't an idiot and made them somewhere on the order of 22cm. They are french cuff, all of them, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to have them shrunk.

Looking back on my measurements it appears as though on the same order I wrote my neck size as being 41cm and my wrist size as being 42cm. I'll bet they had a great laugh at the cartoon impressions that must have been drawn in my honor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads