Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by whnay., Nov 4, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

2. tullytra

tullytra Senior member

Naples trash update. The corners of streets had a few bags each alongside miscellaneous papers and boxes. The dumpsters were full but not overflowing. Then there was this gem:

[​IMG]

It looked like someone just emptied a few dumpsters onto the sidewalk/street and called it a day. I wasn't in the best part of town and didn't have the daylight left to find it, but there was some trash buildup where I was.

3. sprout

sprout Senior member

It's so cute to see these revelations broadcasted in a public format as you continue your journey of discovery. The episode involving ordering a cummerbund from Naples so as to do black tie correctly was particularly precocious. I believe fritzl suggested as much before, but here I am, repeating it.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

It looks like a badly over-exposed picture of a guy talking on a mobile phone, having a problem with an ATM. I like the colour of his shoes though.

I suspect his shoes are the least of his problems.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Oh it's Naples(Napoli) is it. Some aspects of that description sounds rather like Xilinhot.

6. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

This picture is worth one word: over-exposed.

7. comrade

comrade Senior member

Point of fact: In Naples it's called the Camorra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camorra

8. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

^ this, the rest is all bullshit... including this comment.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

9. rootskier

rootskier Active Member

Anyone have details on the socks?

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camorra#Garbage_crisis

"Since the mid-1990s, the Camorra has taken over the handling of garbage disposal in the region of Campania, with disastrous results for the environment and the health of the general population. Heavy metals, industrial waste, chemicals and household garbage are frequently mixed together, dumped near roads and burnt to avoid detection, leading to severe soil and air pollution.

With the assistance of private businessmen known as "stakeholders", the numerous Camorra clans are able to gain massive profits from under-the-table contracts with local, legitimate businesses. These "stakeholders" are able to offer companies highly lucrative deals to remove their waste at a significantly lower price. With little to no overhead, Camorra clans and their associates see very high profit margins. According to author Roberto Saviano, the Camorra employs children to drive the waste in for a small price, who do not complain about the health risks as the older truckers might.

As of June 2007, the region has no serviceable dumping sites and no alternatives have been found. Together with corrupt local officials and unscrupulous industrialists from all over Italy, the Camorra has created a cartel that has so far proved very difficult for officials to combat."

...and I thought Italy was supposed to be a fully developed first world European country? It sounds more like Vietnam or Cambodia.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

11. banis

banis Senior member

I think that you are judging solely on your experience with Rubi and Ambrosi. They both are expanding into RTW, I don't think it is bad. Still, there is a chance for them to turn into mass-manufacturing and to lose part of its current charm.

Why do you say that lots of local tailors are useles for most? Only because of the language barrier? I should say that it is probably the smallest problem when dealing with Italians from my own experience.

I should say that I was amased hos Naples changed between my two visits this year. During my stay in May garbage was everywhere (see picture below, which was taken, if I'm not mistaken at the Corso Umberto I). When coming back in October, I was surprised to see that garbage problem is being solved. Of course, ou may see trash lying here and there, but not as much as it was in May. Also, situation like in the picture was rather normal and you could see garbage, which was lying untouched for a couple of days and its amount was increasing. In October, there was garbage during the day and probably in the night time. But in the morning almost everything was cleaned out.
    [​IMG]

You are living proof that travel cannot broaden all narrow minds. (c) apropos

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I was just going on the Wikipedia article about the current state of that part of Italy. It does sound very third world to me, with allegations of child labour, widespread corruption and major toxic pollution.

If Wikipedia is wrong then feel free to dive in and correct it, you might have better or more recent information.

BTW how's the vodka?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

14. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

just got back yesterday from napoli
    and teh trash problem is again
    under control
    from the central station
    to the spanish quarter
    it is much cleaner
    both day and night

teh language barrier
    is pretty high
    if you are dependant on
    electronic translation
    cause you can end up
    with a pretty fucked up looking
    suit

15. banis

banis Senior member

Firstly, using Wiki as a primar source of information is kinda ehh... incorrect.
    Unless you live somewhere in New Zealand or Norway, you might not know about all that shit. It happens everywhere and everyday - corruption, toxic, child rapes and murders and so on...
    In some places more and in other areas less. It is life with its different deviations. Even in a so-called first world community. Whether you like it or not...