• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They must read Flusser...

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I wonder why I stopped buying GQ, I buy an issue and am reminded again. Someone recently posted an Alan Flusser column in which he rubber stamped short-sleeved "dress shirts" and this month GQ followed suit.
IT'S OKAY TO BE SHORT: Although there's something about a short-sleeve dress shirt that can be so middle management, it's fine to wear one with a suit in shorter months. Be sure to keep the jacket on -- and no pens in the breast pocket. - (p. 208, "The Summer Style Survival Guide" - June 2005
So, their logic is thus: It's perfectly fine to wear a short-sleeve shirt but don't take off your jacket because you'll be embarrassed if you do so.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is this thing they talk off, a breast pocket
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Where is this Flusser statement? I have read about it but never actually seen the piece its ownself.

mrgoblueguy

Reaction score
I saw the same article as well and was shocked. The only people who wear short sleeve dress shirts are fast food managers, NASA control room people, high school counselors, and Dr. Phil. I don't know 1% of what many know on this forum, but I would never wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw the same article as well and was shocked. The only people who wear short sleeve dress shirts are fast food managers, NASA control room people, high school counselors, and Dr. Phil. I don't know 1% of what many know on this forum, but I would never wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie.
You forgot Homer Simpson.

alchimiste

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy,June 05 2005,22:29
and the entire population of Columbus, OH.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flip to page 134. Puffy does look quite good in this photo. His manservant looks even better.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
IT'S OKAY TO BE SHORT: Although there's something about a short-sleeve dress shirt that can be so middle management, it's fine to wear one with a suit in shorter months. Be sure to keep the jacket on -- and no pens in the breast pocket. - (p. 208, "The Summer Style Survival Guide" - June 2005
So, their logic is thus: It's perfectly fine to wear a short-sleeve shirt but don't take off your jacket because you'll be embarrassed if you do so.
what i dont understand about this logic is how are you cooler in a short sleeve shirt with jacket than you would be long sleeve shirt sans jacket. im no rule god, far from it, but i live in 90+ heat every day and my business life is spent in shirt and tie no jacket - including client facing (my clients almost always attired in the same way) i would consider this to be far preferable than short sleeves in any context, and almost certainly cooler than wearing a jacket with some short sleeve aberration.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(mrgoblueguy @ June 05 2005,22:29) I saw the same article as well and was shocked. The only people who wear short sleeve dress shirts are fast food managers, NASA control room people, high school counselors, and Dr. Phil. I don't know 1% of what many know on this forum, but I would never wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie.
And Andy Sipowicz. koji

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And Dilbert.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
And Andy Sipowicz.
"If Detective Sipowicz jumped off a cliff, would you do that too?"

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If one looks at the fashion section of the masthead one learns that nine of eleven people in it are women. Perhaps another reason why -- to connect two disparate threads -- we shouldn't actively solicit the opinions of women
smile.gif
Well, except for Marge Simpson who at least had sense enough to tell Homer to change his shirt.

arvi

Reaction score
Every time I wonder why I stopped buying GQ, I buy an issue and am reminded again.
don't mean to redirect the thread but i must second the GQ observation..i can't wait for my subscription to run out

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you could always just change the delivery address to that of someone you dislike...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads