Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

They must read Flusser...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gorgekko, Jun 6, 2005.

1. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Every time I wonder why I stopped buying GQ, I buy an issue and am reminded again. Someone recently posted an Alan Flusser column in which he rubber stamped short-sleeved "dress shirts" and this month GQ followed suit.
    So, their logic is thus: It's perfectly fine to wear a short-sleeve shirt but don't take off your jacket because you'll be embarrassed if you do so.

2. Roy

Roy Senior member

What is this thing they talk off, a breast pocket [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Patrick06790

Patrick06790 Senior member

Where is this Flusser statement? I have read about it but never actually seen the piece its ownself.

4. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior member

I saw the same article as well and was shocked. The only people who wear short sleeve dress shirts are fast food managers, NASA control room people, high school counselors, and Dr. Phil. I don't know 1% of what many know on this forum, but I would never wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

You forgot Homer Simpson.

6. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Originally Posted by mrgoblueguy,June 05 2005,22:29
    I saw the same article as well and was shocked. The only people who wear short sleeve dress shirts are fast food managers, NASA control room people, high school counselors, and Dr. Phil. I don't know 1% of what many know on this forum, but I would never wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie.
    and the entire population of Columbus, OH.

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Flip to page 134. Puffy does look quite good in this photo. His manservant looks even better.

8. Matt

Matt [email protected]

IT'S OKAY TO BE SHORT: Although there's something about a short-sleeve dress shirt that can be so middle management, it's fine to wear one with a suit in shorter months. Be sure to keep the jacket on -- and no pens in the breast pocket. - (p. 208, "The Summer Style Survival Guide" - June 2005
    So, their logic is thus: It's perfectly fine to wear a short-sleeve shirt but don't take off your jacket because you'll be embarrassed if you do so.
    what i dont understand about this logic is how are you cooler in a short sleeve shirt with jacket than you would be long sleeve shirt sans jacket. im no rule god, far from it, but i live in 90+ heat every day and my business life is spent in shirt and tie no jacket - including client facing (my clients almost always attired in the same way) i would consider this to be far preferable than short sleeves in any context, and almost certainly cooler than wearing a jacket with some short sleeve aberration.

9. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

(mrgoblueguy @ June 05 2005,22:29) I saw the same article as well and was shocked. The only people who wear short sleeve dress shirts are fast food managers, NASA control room people, high school counselors, and Dr. Phil. I don't know 1% of what many know on this forum, but I would never wear a short sleeve shirt with a tie.
    And Andy Sipowicz. koji

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

And Dilbert.

11. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

"If Detective Sipowicz jumped off a cliff, would you do that too?"

12. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

If one looks at the fashion section of the masthead one learns that nine of eleven people in it are women. Perhaps another reason why -- to connect two disparate threads -- we shouldn't actively solicit the opinions of women [​IMG] Well, except for Marge Simpson who at least had sense enough to tell Homer to change his shirt.

13. arvi

arvi Senior member

don't mean to redirect the thread but i must second the GQ observation..i can't wait for my subscription to run out

14. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

you could always just change the delivery address to that of someone you dislike...