They look good, but neckties are never fun.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jun 17, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

where's the bashing-head-against-wall smilie when I need it.

3. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

You can not call yourself a man if you can't tie your own tie. How did this guy get married without learning that skill. The same goes for ironing one's own shirt and shining a pair of shoes; both should be rights of passage equivilant to driving.

4. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Well, I agree most strongly with the part about shining shoes! My dad was fastidious about it! I once had a boss that thought the necktie was the most idiotic thing ever invented. But yes, somewhere along the way every guy has to come to speaking terms with them. Ironing? I dunno, I'll be accused of being sexist, but I'd rather leave that for the ladies...

5. royal618

royal618 Senior member

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I can't honestly admit that neckties (well, in their traditional role anyway) are fun. Suits are fun, shirts can be fun, accessories (of all sorts) are most definitely fun, but I have never felt that way about ties.

Regards,
    Huntsman

7. avatar

I am 20 and have no idea how to shine my shoes. Please advise.

8. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Put down some newspapers to protect the table. wear old clothing. have a good quality paper towel or cloth available to dry-wipe over the shoe laces after you remove them. Have a decent quality shoe shining cloth available. Apply the wax or liquid polish with the "rough" side of the cloth to all surfaces- including the hard-to-reach tongue. Buff out later with the soft side. Use a good-quality wax or liquid polish. Some polishes suggest adding a drop or two of water. Never rub so vigorously that you could tear stitching on the shoes. After polishing, let the shoe cloth dry in a ventilated place well away from pets or children. Likewise dispose of the dirty newspaper safely.Be sure to check that this advice would apply to your shoes- I speak generally of leather lace-up dress shoes. Others may have better advice.

9. SJC83

SJC83 Well-Known Member

Put down some newspapers to protect the table. wear old clothing. have a good quality paper towel or cloth available to dry-wipe over the shoe laces after you remove them. Have a decent quality shoe shining cloth available. Apply the wax or liquid polish with the "rough" side of the cloth to all surfaces- including the hard-to-reach tongue. Buff out later with the soft side. Use a good-quality wax or liquid polish. Some polishes suggest adding a drop or two of water. Never rub so vigorously that you could tear stitching on the shoes. After polishing, let the shoe cloth dry in a ventilated place well away from pets or children. Likewise dispose of the dirty newspaper safely.Be sure to check that this advice would apply to your shoes- I speak generally of leather lace-up dress shoes. Others may have better advice.

I have never, nor will I ever shine my own shoes, $2.50 @ Nordstrom.

10. avatar

I have never, nor will I ever shine my own shoes, $2.50 @ Nordstrom.

This is my reason as well.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

How does anybody manage to navigate puberty without learning to tie a necktie?

Never fun? Isn't being well dressed fun or have I been deluding myself all these years?

Those who don't polish their own shoes remind me of an anecdote about Abraham Lincoln. A snooty Englishman once remarked to Lincoln, "We English never black our own boots." To which Lincoln replied, "Whose boots do you black?" I'm in favor of Lincoln's kind of self-reliance. The same goes for ironing shirts.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've found that most places that shine shoes for a fee never do it as well as you'd like.

13. Jazz

Jazz Well-Known Member

I can't honestly admit that neckties (well, in their traditional role anyway) are fun. Suits are fun, shirts can be fun, accessories (of all sorts) are most definitely fun, but I have never felt that way about ties.

Regards,
    Huntsman

I have a tie with BSDM patterns [​IMG] I'll lend it to you for a night on the town and then you can tell me how fun they CAN be [​IMG]

14. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I am 20 and have no idea how to shine my shoes. Please advise.

It is too late for you now... you are already spoiled [​IMG]

15. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

My father teached me to shine my shoes, tie my tie when I was maybe 12

My mother teached me to hand wash and iron my shirts when I was about 14