1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

They look good, but neckties are never fun.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Jun 17, 2007.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

2. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

where's the bashing-head-against-wall smilie when I need it.

3. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

You can not call yourself a man if you can't tie your own tie. How did this guy get married without learning that skill. The same goes for ironing one's own shirt and shining a pair of shoes; both should be rights of passage equivilant to driving.

4. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Well, I agree most strongly with the part about shining shoes! My dad was fastidious about it! I once had a boss that thought the necktie was the most idiotic thing ever invented. But yes, somewhere along the way every guy has to come to speaking terms with them. Ironing? I dunno, I'll be accused of being sexist, but I'd rather leave that for the ladies...

5. royal618

royal618 Senior member

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I can't honestly admit that neckties (well, in their traditional role anyway) are fun. Suits are fun, shirts can be fun, accessories (of all sorts) are most definitely fun, but I have never felt that way about ties.

Regards,
    Huntsman

7. avatar

I am 20 and have no idea how to shine my shoes. Please advise.

8. Jerry52

Jerry52 Senior member

Put down some newspapers to protect the table. wear old clothing. have a good quality paper towel or cloth available to dry-wipe over the shoe laces after you remove them. Have a decent quality shoe shining cloth available. Apply the wax or liquid polish with the "rough" side of the cloth to all surfaces- including the hard-to-reach tongue. Buff out later with the soft side. Use a good-quality wax or liquid polish. Some polishes suggest adding a drop or two of water. Never rub so vigorously that you could tear stitching on the shoes. After polishing, let the shoe cloth dry in a ventilated place well away from pets or children. Likewise dispose of the dirty newspaper safely.Be sure to check that this advice would apply to your shoes- I speak generally of leather lace-up dress shoes. Others may have better advice.

9. SJC83

SJC83 Well-Known Member

Put down some newspapers to protect the table. wear old clothing. have a good quality paper towel or cloth available to dry-wipe over the shoe laces after you remove them. Have a decent quality shoe shining cloth available. Apply the wax or liquid polish with the "rough" side of the cloth to all surfaces- including the hard-to-reach tongue. Buff out later with the soft side. Use a good-quality wax or liquid polish. Some polishes suggest adding a drop or two of water. Never rub so vigorously that you could tear stitching on the shoes. After polishing, let the shoe cloth dry in a ventilated place well away from pets or children. Likewise dispose of the dirty newspaper safely.Be sure to check that this advice would apply to your shoes- I speak generally of leather lace-up dress shoes. Others may have better advice.

I have never, nor will I ever shine my own shoes, $2.50 @ Nordstrom.

10. avatar

I have never, nor will I ever shine my own shoes, $2.50 @ Nordstrom.

This is my reason as well.

11. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

How does anybody manage to navigate puberty without learning to tie a necktie?

Never fun? Isn't being well dressed fun or have I been deluding myself all these years?

Those who don't polish their own shoes remind me of an anecdote about Abraham Lincoln. A snooty Englishman once remarked to Lincoln, "We English never black our own boots." To which Lincoln replied, "Whose boots do you black?" I'm in favor of Lincoln's kind of self-reliance. The same goes for ironing shirts.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I've found that most places that shine shoes for a fee never do it as well as you'd like.

13. Jazz

Jazz Well-Known Member

I can't honestly admit that neckties (well, in their traditional role anyway) are fun. Suits are fun, shirts can be fun, accessories (of all sorts) are most definitely fun, but I have never felt that way about ties.

Regards,
    Huntsman

I have a tie with BSDM patterns [​IMG] I'll lend it to you for a night on the town and then you can tell me how fun they CAN be [​IMG]

14. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I am 20 and have no idea how to shine my shoes. Please advise.

It is too late for you now... you are already spoiled [​IMG]

15. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

My father teached me to shine my shoes, tie my tie when I was maybe 12

My mother teached me to hand wash and iron my shirts when I was about 14

16. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I have a tie with BSDM patterns [​IMG] I'll lend it to you for a night on the town and then you can tell me how fun they CAN be [​IMG]

Trade you that for the 1970s fisting tie I attempted to sell on ebay last year.

17. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I've found that most places that shine shoes for a fee never do it as well as you'd like.

Amen to that, same thing with shirts. I do it all myself, uphill both ways.

18. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

How does anybody manage to navigate puberty without learning to tie a necktie?

Never fun? Isn't being well dressed fun or have I been deluding myself all these years?

Those who don't polish their own shoes remind me of an anecdote about Abraham Lincoln. A snooty Englishman once remarked to Lincoln, "We English never black our own boots." To which Lincoln replied, "Whose boots do you black?" I'm in favor of Lincoln's kind of self-reliance. The same goes for ironing shirts.

+1. The quickest way to ruin a nice shirt is to bring it to the dry cleaners. The quickest way to ruin a nice pair of shoes is to let just any old shoeshine guy have a crack at them.

19. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I learned from my Cub Scout manual at an early age.

20. visionology

visionology Senior member

I know how to tie a tie but that doesn't mean I think they are fun. I'm not a fan of tight nooses around my neck.

I don't understand what is so difficult about shining shoes. It's basically the same as applying polish to your car (another thing every man should know how to do).