• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They just changed the dress code.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does OP work at a Ruby Tuesday or something? I've never heard of such a thing. It has to be retail of some sort.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Does OP work at a Ruby Tuesday or something? I've never heard of such a thing. It has to be retail of some sort.

Especially with the lanyards and reading glasses. WTF was that all about?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dig, it is what it is.

1. Get the nicest polos you can find, long sleeved if you can find them. A nice John Laing polo will be in the $300+ territory or so, John Smedley or Guy Rover for a bit less. You can also spend a lot less but still get something distinctive, like the polos that Kent Wang sells if you can convince him to make black. You can opt for refinement and dispense with thrifting compared to putting togeter a full week of coat and tie.

2. Get the nicest chinos you can find, and make sure that they are tailored well.

3. Use the money that you save and get nicer shoes than you might have.

4. Consider getting better casual outerwear than you might have.

5. If you retain an affection for coat and tie, focus on a weekend/social wardrobe in more casual styles and accessories. You'll need fewer items than for a full work week...take that as an opportunity to get nicer individual items than you might have.

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
tailorstore.co.uk has a fine selection of fairly cheap black MTM polos, both short and longsleeved. Also MTM chinos.

Haven't tried those yet, but I can vouch that their dress shirts are damn fine. in addition best customer service experience I've had online.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that companies employ people who conceive, present, document and implement such idiotic policies. Whoever came up with this can consider himself/herself an unnecessary cost item on the companies P&L.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input gentlemen.

To answer your questions, yes it is retail. After over a decade with this otherwise enjoyable to work for company, I would be giving up benefits and other financial incentives that I have worked long to attain. I'll adapt to the new code but after a lifetime of dressing for retail management, this feels almost like I have to punch a time clock.

Three required lanyards:

1. Name badge
  2. "Motivational" point of sale blurb
  3. Panic alarm

Thus the need for a chest pocket for storage of my reading glasses since I refuse to wear a fourth thing around my neck that is not a necktie.

I have become a long sleeve kind of guy as I glide into the Autumn of my years. The store can't be overheated in the Winter since the customers are wearing outerwear and the AC in the Summer keeps me chilly. I just can't imagine that black cotton is color fast and I expect it will fade quickly in comparison to a white or blue dress shirt.

Just to get me by tomorrow, I ran out and bought the only black cotton dress shirt I could find. Who is Sean John and why does his label look like RLPL? Puffy! Brooks Brothers does not even sell a black OCBD shirt, at least from the website.

I have BB and PRL chinos/khakis for now but will be ISO deals for Bill's Khakis since they figure to get a lot more wear. I'll still be able to wear the shoes, I suppose. I have in excess of 10 pairs of Allen Edmonds in various styles/colors with a sprinkling of others like Alfred Sargent.

The thing that just kills me is that I truly enjoyed the past year as I began to learn what to wear. I like suits and sportcoats. I have amassed a closet full of reasonably higher quality clothing altered to fit me so that I would have a variety to wear throughout a period of a month or so. Now pretty much useless as it is unwearable for work.

Thanks again.

Where's the Tylenol?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To answer your questions, yes it is retail. After over a decade with this otherwise enjoyable to work for company, I would be giving up benefits and other financial incentives that I have worked long to attain. I'll adapt to the new code but after a lifetime of dressing for retail management, this feels almost like I have to punch a time clock.
Three required lanyards:
  1. Name badge
  3. Panic alarm
Thus the need for a chest pocket for storage of my reading glasses since I refuse to wear a fourth thing around my neck that is not a necktie.
I have become a long sleeve kind of guy as I glide into the Autumn of my years. The store can't be overheated in the Winter since the customers are wearing outerwear and the AC in the Summer keeps me chilly. I just can't imagine that black cotton is color fast and I expect it will fade quickly in comparison to a white or blue dress shirt.
Just to get me by tomorrow, I ran out and bought the only black cotton dress shirt I could find. Who is Sean John and why does his label look like RLPL? Puffy! Brooks Brothers does not even sell a black OCBD shirt, at least from the website.
I have BB and PRL chinos/khakis for now but will be ISO deals for Bill's Khakis since they figure to get a lot more wear. I'll still be able to wear the shoes, I suppose. I have in excess of 10 pairs of Allen Edmonds in various styles/colors with a sprinkling of others like Alfred Sargent.
The thing that just kills me is that I truly enjoyed the past year as I began to learn what to wear. I like suits and sportcoats. I have amassed a closet full of reasonably higher quality clothing altered to fit me so that I would have a variety to wear throughout a period of a month or so. Now pretty much useless as it is unwearable for work.
Thanks again.
Where's the Tylenol?

oh...thought you were a cat burglar!!!

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screw it, get another job at the RL mansion or TF boutique. You can wear suits all day, and subsequently, accept bribes from SF members for discounted merchandise...

Pawz

Reaction score
I ran out and bought the only black cotton dress shirt I could find. Who is Sean John and why does his label look like RLPL?]

Sean John is a hip-hop label. It sells next to Rocawear, which belongs to recording artist Jay-Zee (forgive me if I didn't spell the name properly).

It's 'young-people' attire. I confess to owning some. Not great quality at all, but I like the look sometimes.

Sent you a PM.

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh...thought you were a cat burglar!!!

I don't have the ankles to be a good second story man. I'd be a ham among yeggs.

Screw it, get another job at the RL mansion or TF boutique. You can wear suits all day, and subsequently, accept bribes from SF members for discounted merchandise...

Only if they wear Juggalo makeup when they hand me the envelope.

I ran out and bought the only black cotton dress shirt I could find. Who is Sean John and why does his label look like RLPL?]
Sean John is a hip-hop label. It sells next to Rocawear, which belongs to recording artist Jay-Zee (forgive me if I didn't spell the name properly).
It's 'young-people' attire. I confess to owning some. Not great quality at all, but I like the look sometimes.
Sent you a PM.

Much appreciated!

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you get away with cashmere or anything similar?

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't know all of the specifics until tomorrow. I expect that over time, things may loosen up a bit.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Three required lanyards:
  1. Name badge
  3. Panic alarm
Thanks again.
Where's the Tylenol?

You know, I'm gonna miss the appearances in the WAYWRN thread as a result of this....

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After a year of acquiring a new wardrobe of admittedly thrifted yet far superior clothing to what I wore formerly, I have learned that my employer is requiring a more "athletic" appearance. Specifically, I now have to wear a black, non-logo polo shirt or a "collared" black shirt of either short or long sleeve. Pants must be either khaki colored or black. Everyone had just gotten used to seeing me work in the suits and sport coats.
:fu:
I was following the other work clothing thread but what I need are suggestions. Suddenly, I have nothing to wear to work in the morning.
No black pants.
No black shirts.
Plenty of chinos/khakis.
I NEED a shirt pocket. I have to keep the reading glasses handy and undamaged. I already have to wear THREE lanyards so I won't be dangling the readers from a chain around my neck as well.
I'm so disgusted.

Is this guy your boss?
http://www.styleforum.net/t/291155/need-help-on-a-tie

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads