• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

These two colors alright?

GloStiX

Reaction score
Just need your opinion. I only have this black blazer and these dark blue jeans. I only owned a couple pairs of jeans before these, and they were blackish/greyish, so the "blue" feels unnatural to me, paired with a black blazer. Is this a monstrosity or acceptable? I can get an exchange on the jeans if need be.
dscn2139jr6.jpg

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thats a popular combo for dressing up as a college kid, but you can do much better with jeans and a sportcoat.

I saw one pic recently of a poster named IamMatt and he was wearing jeans with a navy sportcoat that had leather elbow patches. It went very well as a combo.

I wear jeans often with a grey tweed jacket with a purple windowpane. I also generally pair it with a knit tie.

GloStiX

Reaction score
I'll try to be happy with a simple and classic combo
smile.gif

What I was more worried about is whether the jeans should be darker/blacker than a dark indigo? I've heard that wearing too dark of jeans with a black blazer would be "too dark" and I might as well wear a full suit with it. However, I myself prefer a black/grey/white color scheme. Does the fact that I have East Asian skin have any bearing on color choice?

Thanks.

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
thats a popular combo for dressing up as Michael Kohrs, but you can do much better with jeans and a sportcoat.

FIFY

In all seriousness, if the black blazer is the fixed part of the equation, the jeans you have are much better than black, and any more distressed and you would risk becoming an AmJack cliche. If you don't like the look, grey might work as an alternative.

GloStiX

Reaction score
I'm trying not to go too AmJack with this, but aren't I a little immune just by race?
laugh.gif

So between these jeans... the grey seems a little too light, and the dark pair seems a little too worn. I'm very slim so I'm hoping I'll just look more hipster and less guido (not that I'm trying to look hipster). Whadya think?

464950501nj0.jpg
490702801pc2.jpg

Wearing this with polished black cap-toes and white leather Lacoste sneakers, either are appropriate I presume?

goodlife

Reaction score
America is a melting pot where everyone has the freedom to make themselves look stupid. If you are an international member of the forum you are safe until they establish AmJacks without borders.
rimshot.gif

Anyway, I like either the grey and the original blue. Maybe try both and keep whichever fits.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wore a black jacket with jeans the other day and thought it went pretty well.

I went with the darkest blue jeans I had (the newest...I only buy dark washes since I can just wear an older pair to achieve most other colors), a pair of casual shoes with black orange and white and a burnt orange button down and I enjoyed it. The key for me on wearing the black jacket (Its a nice BB jacket and fits well) is that it should be dark out otherwise the black is just going to look so harsh. I was leaving just before sunset but had a reasonably long train ride so I just wore a coat over it...

GloStiX

Reaction score
Yes the black jacket looks really harsh on the blue jeans I currently have, that's my problem. They look a lot more "blue" than I'd like, kinda has a cowboy feel or something
eh.gif

Grey jeans would be classier I guess, a slacker's version of grey slacks, but I just doubt their versatility with other casual clothes since I'm a student (in the US).

Are jet black jeans with a black blazer a faux pas or something?

goodlife

Reaction score
I have always had a problem with two things of the same color that are obviously different fabric/texture. Kind of like you dressed in the dark, only it looks like you are the first person to ever lose their sense of touch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads