1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

These shoes?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by maxenvellzen, Apr 27, 2016.

1. maxenvellzen

maxenvellzen Member

Hey Menswear Advice,

I was hoping a few of you could give me your opinion on buying fine shoes from used places, such as thrift shops, consignment stores, etc. Perhaps a few pointers, like what to look out for and when to pass on a pair, how to tell if they're repairable, etc. I also want to share with you three pairs I have found in the past two days.

My story: I have recently left the military and will be going to school in New York City for the next couple of years, and as a result my budget is on the extreme low end of the wardrobe building spectrum. Most of my shoes were acquired before I joined the military, and are somewhat boyish. I have some casual shoes from Oliberte (love their mission) and a pair of boots by Guess (Made in China), alongside various pairs of basketball and running shoes, cheap loafers, etc. Recently though, I have been searching for better quality shoes that I can actually afford.

So do you think the following shoes are worth buying for a college student who will be doing tons of walking on the streets of NYC? I didn't pay much for them at all, and obviously the condition varies greatly between them. I wouldn't necessarily wear any of these to a job interview, just to and from class, that sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks for any help on the matter!

Here a few photos, but there are more photos here. Link to album.

Ermenegildo Zegna Couture: I picked these up for $15. The leather seems in good shape. Are these considered Oxfords? Haha I have crap knowledge about shoes. I know Zegna is usually pretty expensive. (My grandmother worked for a well-to-do gallery owner and when he passed I was given all of his shirts - Zegna, Turnbull & Asser, Bobby Jones - I wish young me would have been interested in shoes!)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Salvatore Ferragamo: These are in pretty bad shape, but are they wearable? Perhaps some care to the leather and a resole? The scratches on the heels are not deep. Picked up for $5.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Mezlan: Contrary to the previous two, which were made in Italy, these were made in Spain. I don't know much about the brand other than these are definitely handmade. They were cheap so I picked them up. $8. What is this stye called? What would you wear these with?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Used shoes are yucky (personal opinion) and not good for your feet (fact). I'd avoid them unless you're broke and in dying need of dress shoes.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I would pass on the second two pairs.

The first pair are not oxfords, which have "closed lacing", like in the second shoe. They are derbies, with "open lacing". I don't know that shoe in particular, but if the higher end Zegna shoes are, or were, apparently handwelted, and really, quite well constructed. I do no know if that it true for your particular pair.

I'm not a fan of used shoes either, but understanding that you are on a budgetm and that these are in good condition, they might serve you well.

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

The first pair is good value and should be reasonably well constructed. If they fit and you don't mind used shoes, go for it.

5. Alpha11

Alpha11 Senior member

Being a military veteran myself as well as going back to school I can understand what you arw facing. Brooks Brothers has a program set up for vets returning to the workforce http://www.dignityuwear.org/. Check out the website as you may not have to go the thrift store route to get a few pairs of good shoes.

6. Sam Pearson

Sam Pearson Member

I like the Salvatore Ferragamo shoes. Although like you said they are a bit beat. Perhaps you could get some shoe polish? They may help!