• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

There's no hope for this jacket, is there?

Johnathan

Reaction score
I really like tweed herringbone jackets, so I figured I'd take a chance and pick one up on eBay. It's supposedly a 41R, but the fit is really terrible. Is it even worth trying to have a tailor clean it up or should I cut my losses and give up? Any and all strange lumps are the jacket and not my physique.
laugh.gif

photo112008001yt0.jpg

photo112008002bc0.jpg

photo112008003in6.jpg

As you can see, the sleeves are a mess, and crossing my arms causes serious bunching in the back on both sides. As you can see from the second picture, bending my elbow like that does something strange to the back of the shoulder, and to the chest which I failed to capture in the photo.

So do I just put this back up for sale, or is it worth taking it to someone for the alterations it sorely needs?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be a TOOMAH

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lightsaber
How much did it cost?
Twenty bucks on eBay. No idea about original retail. It's PRL (University Club, whatever the hell that means).

stewartu

Reaction score
Have someone take a few better pictures.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your expectations are not realistic. Any jacket will do what this does when you move like you do. These movements you are making are not how you judge fit. Take photos in a natural, hands to your side position.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your pictures are useless for getting the feedback you seek. As Despos says, take normal ones.

University Club used to be a decent Ivy-inspired line of Ralph Lauren; don't think it exists anymore. Its stylistic descendant may be the Rugby line.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Alright, here goes: (please excuse the wrinkled shirt that I picked up off my floor for these pictures.

photo112008004ki8.jpg

photo112008005bz7.jpg

photo112008006xr8.jpg

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
It's not a toomah!

We're gonna play a game. It's called "who's your daddy and wha dose he do?"

Sorry. I couldn't resist
tounge.gif

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, here goes: (please excuse the wrinkled shirt that I picked up off my floor for these pictures.

photo112008004ki8.jpg

photo112008005bz7.jpg

photo112008006xr8.jpg

My opinion is that if you really like it take it in and see what it would cost to clean it up. I've done that to a few items and I'm glad I did.

dk123

Reaction score

photo112008004ki8.jpg

photo112008005bz7.jpg

photo112008006xr8.jpg

laugh.gif

What's with the last 2 pictures? Didn't people say NO weird poses earlier?

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk123
laugh.gif

What's with the last 2 pictures? Didn't people say NO weird poses earlier?

laugh.gif
I guess I couldn't resist. Hey, putting your hands on your hips is not a weird pose!
laugh.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the back/shoulderpad bunching problem when you move around your arm is probably caused by the large armhole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics