• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Theory Suit Pants

tufa4311

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and pretty much new to suits - I have probably worn a suit to an event maybe 10 times in my life (and I'm 40) and each time the suit sucked, to put it mildly. My friend's wedding is coming up and I'd like to get a real suit. I was browsing at the mall and came across Theory and I really like it. My question is this: what is it about the bottom leg of most suit pants that make it have so much room down there that it goes back and forth like a bell when you walk? When I tried on a Theory pant it was more fitted to my leg. I understand that, in general, a more expensive suit will have a better "fit" but I don't get that bottom leg part - why do the cheaper ones have all that extra fabric? Wouldn't it save fabric to have a smaller diameter at the ankle? I don't get it....

Last edited:

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and pretty much new to suits - I have probably worn a suit to an event maybe 10 times in my life (and I'm 40) and each time the suit sucked, to put it mildly. My friend's wedding is coming up and I'd like to get a real suit. I was browsing at the mall and came across Theory and I really like it. My question is this: what is it about the bottom leg of most suit pants that make it have so much room down there that it goes back and forth like a bell when you walk? When I tried on a Theory pant it was more fitted to my leg. I understand that, in general, a more expensive suit will have a better "fit" but I don't get that bottom leg part - why do the cheaper ones have all that extra fabric? Wouldn't it save fabric to have a smaller diameter at the ankle? I don't get it....

Read this:

http://www.styleforum.net/a/what-kind-of-suit-should-i-buy

This doesn't discuss brands, but it does provide information that's crucial to anyone buying their first suit. There are more links on that page to more specialized topics like fit.

On trouser leg width, see this:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/257771/...hat-range-is-acceptable-how-you-should-decide

For wedding ties, start here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/62219/wedding-ties

I would avoid Theory if you're looking for a business suit you can wear after the wedding.

Cheers,

Ac

tufa4311

Reaction score
Thanks Academic2, I reviewed the main links.

I won't be using it for business, I'm in software and we are very informal.

What I got from the review was that I think I assumed that the diameter of the pant leg was left as it was when purchased. I'm guess that, like other parts of the suit, the diameter of the leg is also altered if needed.

I tried this one on and really liked how it fit on me and the color. I'm needing it for a semi-formal winter day wedding (winter in Texas anyway)...

http://www.theory.com/rodolf-lenton...D1071107_color=EKH&start=17&cgid=mens-just-in

Thoughts on this one?

I've read that one's first suit should be a dark blue or grey, this one is much lighter. I'll do it if I must but for whatever reason I like the one in the link.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics