• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theory motorcycle jacket?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a black leather motorcycle-stylejacket from Theory today, down from $995 to $500. Looked cool, wasn't sure about the construction though. What's the communal wisdom on this brand? worth the $?

TalkBack42Clicks

Reaction score
This is the one in question right...

50_1_b.JPG

d5_1_b.JPG

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the distressing. I like to break my leather in just like my denim.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Theory as much as the next guy, but I never understand their pricing or marketing strategy. They advertise themselves as a "contemporary" brand that makes basic, staple parts of the wardrobe in stretch fabrics. But, "basics" means just that; their items usually aren't terribly distinctive and yet they charge a lot for them (made in China shirts for $235 or more, pants $250 and up, etc.) As well, I don't really know who buys their stuff or who their target consumer actually is. I've got several friends who work for boutiques that stock (or once stocked) Theory and they said that nobody paid retail for it and tons of it were always on the sales rack.

I think that they shoot for the market of people who like Prada, Jil Sander, Lang, etc. but maybe just don't want to pay as much. Nevertheless, they still charge enough for their items that for an extra $40, you could actually GET the Prada or Lang shirt (button-fronts are usually in the $275- $295 area). So, in short, why buy Theory when you can get the brand they copy? And, of those I know who have bought Theory shirts (always on sale), they did so BECAUSE the shirt was the closest thing in styling to Lang, Prada, or Sander.

Nevertheless the styling isn't bad and the quality is okay. So, all in all, $500 isn't bad for a leather jacket, especially if it looks really good on you. Nevertheless, it definitely isn't a stellar deal. If it were me, I'd wait and hope it went down to under $300.

Also, it is the sort of jacket that, if you pay $500, you will never be able to resell on ebay and get your money back. If you like it, go for it, but it may be something you are stuck with forever. (Contrast to Dolce&Gabbana, on the other hand. I got a leather jacket on sale a long time ago for about $400, wore it for a few years, then put it on ebay and it ended up selling for $450).

John

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TalkBack42Clicks
This is the one in question right...

50_1_b.JPG

d5_1_b.JPG

Oh good god no, no distressing, no tassly bits falling off... plain black in rather nice (if thin) buttery leather... having a hard time finding a pic online though....

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I saw a black leather motorcycle-stylejacket from Theory today, down from $995 to $500. Looked cool, wasn't sure about the construction though. What's the communal wisdom on this brand? worth the $?

I'm sure this won't match well with your perfumed handkerchief, I would pass if I were you.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the most you guys think something like this should go for?

Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm sure this won't match well with your perfumed handkerchief, I would pass if I were you.

LOL
wink.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

Joel, you should get yourself a nice Joel Cairo avatar pic.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Eh, I'd buy from a leather brand or a designer with some experience in leather goods. I mean, if you really like it, okay, but even though it WAS 900 dollars, it's still 500 dollars, which is enough to get yourself a really nice moto jacket from a real leathers company, possibly semi-custom, or on ebay a nice one from a designer with some resale value.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
Joel, you should get yourself a nice Joel Cairo avatar pic.

I chose this one. Its not Lorre as Cairo, but it sure is dashing.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
If you're talking about the one at the Filene's Basement in NYC, DEFINITELY skip it. Theory's pricing is borderline insulting.

Dan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads