• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Theory buys Rag & Bone

savage

Reaction score
Just got back from Coterie, the first trade show that RB has ever been at. They're doing everything in-house now, and are self contained with their launch of a full mens and womens line. wonder how they broke out of the box?

Theory bought them. I heard they bought Helmut Lang too.

Good or Bad?

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the new issue of men's vogue (feb/mar 2007?) has a small article on the two remaining rag & bone members and how they saved the factory they use in the southern usa from closing as had happened to the kentucky location that they had previously used .... and also mentions how they've now branched out from just denim into a whole line of men's and women's wear

but no mention that theory link holdings was buying them, just that nathan bogle had left, but given the expansion, the money has to come from somewhere so perhaps a hook-up with LTH is what was needed to fuel that expansion

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
I really respect the quality and finishing of the Rag & Bone products but have never been a fan of their sillhouettes, I doubt a small company like them could alone keep a factory in business, but it's a nice fairy tale.

For fans of the product I would buy up what you can because Theory Group will wreck it in no time. This is an aquisition that will be focusing on growth and profit, which doesn't bode well for the quality fabrics and details current customers love.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This is horrible news if true. Looks like I'll have to find a new label.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, we'll see. There have been acquisitions that have been corrosive (anything that Prada bought, for example), while others have been quite benign. For example, I haven't noticed a significant change in quality after Staff acquired Margiela. I know people have been knocking the latest HL collection, but I think that that has 100% to do with the designers, who, while talented, are nothing even close to HL's talent, and pretty much nothing to do with the fact that the Theory group now owns the label.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes
the new issue of men's vogue (feb/mar 2007?) has a small article on the two remaining rag & bone members and how they saved the factory they use in the southern usa from closing as had happened to the kentucky location that they had previously used .... and also mentions how they've now branched out from just denim into a whole line of men's and women's wear

but no mention that theory link holdings was buying them, just that nathan bogle had left, but given the expansion, the money has to come from somewhere so perhaps a hook-up with LTH is what was needed to fuel that expansion

I was reading the article a few days ago and noticed the reference to Grenson making a workboot for RB. Now THAT sounds interesting.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have little hope that this will work. The independent spirit that fueled the pursuit of quality and design will soon be replace with the desire for profit. It's only a matter of time before Theory milk R&B for all it's worth and drive the label into the ground.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I have little hope that this will work. The independent spirit that fueled the pursuit of quality and design will soon be replace with the desire for profit. It's only a matter of time before Theory milk R&B for all it's worth and drive the label into the ground.
*Dons flame marsupialant pants (UK definition of pants btw) * Maybe I will be flamed for this one but frankly, I have seen little that is exciting or that distinctive about R&B so far. Some of their stuff looked nice but nice is relatively easy IMHO. Maybe it is so understated that I would need to see their apparel in person to appreciate, don't know. Anyway, business is business. I would not necessarily consider this selling out - any small outfit would struggle to survive without some major backing. The excrement may hit the rotating blades at some point of course when the corporate overlords decide to go all rayon and crap but wait and see would be the safest bet. if you can deal with RB being a corporate drone rather than a cool hip indie company
wink.gif
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Probably comes down to artistic freedom and little to no money or making money and having a little less control.

Max

Reaction score
Uh, this is still capitalism. Profit is the only motive for production. They were going for profit before they got bought and probably profited handsomely from the sale.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max
Uh, this is still capitalism. Profit is the only motive for production. They were going for profit before they got bought and probably profited handsomely from the sale.

No.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads