1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Them Vietnamese Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by TyCooN, Jan 7, 2011.

1. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

Do you eat these?[​IMG]

2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

3. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

if i am at a vietnamese restaurant and have over $4 in my wallet, but less than $7.50, then yes i may order banh mi instead of pho or bun.

4. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Bahn mi are 2.95 here. Soooooooo good.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG]

i love banh mi

hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had. there was this random banh mi joint near tufts medical school that was daaamn good. i eat a banh mi every other day i'm in nyc. -_- god. i love a good banh mi

6. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

Banh mi have become quite the hipster staple in most cities. Go to Yelp and start a thread on where to get banh mi and you'll have about ten thousand responses that slowly devolve into a thread about how shitty Pitchfork is now and about how hard it is to write an English lit term paper wasted on PBR.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG] the more people that eat banh mi the more business they get and that's fine by me. personally i think only hipsters characterize hipsters. non hipsters could care less about hipsters. i think its probably a unique social group in that the in group is determined by an out group who is actually also the in group its a delicious sandwich. who cares how many hipsters eat it or know about it

8. chomeo

chomeo Senior member

[​IMG] ..hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had...i
    Banh Mi Hanoi in Saigon is really good!

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I've actually never eaten a banh mi, even though I ate pho at least 3-5 times a week in college. :\\ They just didn't have any around where I lived, and there's none where I live here. [​IMG] I have a feeling I'd enjoy one thoroughly, though, seems to be everything I like, and more.

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Banh Mi Hanoi is Saigon is really good!

lol!

i would kill for a proper saigon style banh mi or hanoi style pho in my collegetown. i dont understand why no one's thought of it. cheap, delicious, i think ppl would make a killing.

we've had a pho, banh mi place based on local organic foods, but price was too high for college students. i dont think poor students particularly care. the other vietnamese place is owned by a chinese and tastes like chinese food

11. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

[​IMG] the more people that eat banh mi the more business they get and that's fine by me. personally i think only hipsters characterize hipsters. non hipsters could care less about hipsters. i think its probably a unique social group in that the in group is determined by an out group who is actually also the in group its a delicious sandwich. who cares how many hipsters eat it or know about it
    Just an observation. Doesn't deter or provoke me into eating them. I think they are good most of the time, but I've never characterized one as great. It's a sandwich made with pate and mostly cheaper meats with some cucumber, carrots and parsley. Nothing amazing - it's just different (and mostly cheaper) than most sub shops. My point about the hipsters is that the sandwich has "blown up" because of the hipster attention it gets. 5 years ago your average city-dweller didn't know what banh mi were. Now they are a staple in a lot of cities. Hipster online blogging has a ton to do with that. Good for Viet-owned sandwich shops and poor college kids - nothing more, nothing less.

12. Nil

Nil Senior member

^^^^^^^^^
    It's because they cost less than $3 often times. What broke kid isn't going to love a tasty sandwich that costs so little?

13. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

^^^^^^^^^
    It's because they cost less than $3 often times. What broke kid isn't going to love a tasty sandwich that costs so little?

Agreed.

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i agree with you. nothing mind boggling. just delicious food at a good price.

15. BC2012

BC2012 Senior member

http://www.anchoinyc.com/ Then there are places like An Choi that try to upscale the sandwich. Their results are uneven, though.

16. TyCooN

TyCooN Senior member

http://www.anchoinyc.com/

Then there are places like An Choi that try to upscale the sandwich. Their results are uneven, though.

pretty silly

It's a working class person's food. Where I live Mexican laborers love to eat them Vietnamese sandwiches, them Vietnamese noodle soups, and them Vietnamese lunchboxes.

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Damn, I could go for one of these right now.

18. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

Vietnamese sandwiches are funny to me because I grew up eating them before they became so hip. Then I stopped eating them because I moved away to college and this whitey down didn't have any (until very recently). Anyway, I had my roommate bring me back some and they had all these funky styles. What's funny is the version they call the "Special" is actually the standard sandwich (French roll, pate, homemade mayo, pickles, jalapeños, cilantro, headcheese, etc). The other versions they had were filled with stuff I've never seen in a sandwich like bbq pork. Yes, these were meats found in Vietnamese dishes, like the pork is usually in bun (rice noodles), but not meant to be in a sandwich. I wonder how many people know there is really just one banh mi?

19. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Yes i order and there pretty good.

20. Phrost

Phrost Senior member

I've actually never eaten a banh mi, even though I ate pho at least 3-5 times a week in college. :\\ They just didn't have any around where I lived, and there's none where I live here. [​IMG]

I have a feeling I'd enjoy one thoroughly, though, seems to be everything I like, and more.

It's a good sandwich with a lot of flavor. The freshness from the cucumber and cilantro with the sweet and tangy pickled carrots/daikon compliments and cuts some of the richness of the meat/fat in the sandwich.

[​IMG]

i love banh mi

hanoi had some of the worst banh mis i have ever had. there was this random banh mi joint near tufts medical school that was daaamn good. i eat a banh mi every other day i'm in nyc. -_- god. i love a good banh mi

Where do people in NYC get their banh mi from? My favorite is Banh Mi Saigon on Grand St. Cheap and delicious. I know their #1 pork banh mi isn't authentic or whatever, but I never really liked the traditional cold cuts/head cheese and pate. The crispy barbecued pork they use is [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]